GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script - CLOSED - Tips and Advice - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

- CLOSED - Tips and Advice

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Garden Corner: for the green fingered amongst us

Going back to the subject of tree stumps, we had a big eucalyptus cut down last year, and cut it off horizontally at about 3 ft. Rather than kill the stump I made a feature of it and use it as a plantpot stand in summer and a bird table in winter..works really well. Don't know if you can see it very well here, under the flowers between the burner and the tub..
    Attached Files

Comment

we've had a cherry tree stump at the front for about 10 years, it finally rotted enough earlier on for Mr D to pull it out, think the wet weather had finally done for it.

interestingly I was in a big garden centre yesterday looking for liners for my fence pots which have rotted away in the rain and the amount of dead/drowning plants was amazing, they had all been reduced to 50p/25p, picked up a couple that I'll put in the conservatory to dry out and see if I can bong them on. One of the guys was telling me they've lost a fortune this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Most commercial weed killers like path clear are safe as soon as they dry. With six dogs and a cat at Hooray Hall and miles of paving and cobbles I have to be careful. All I do is wait for a dry day and keep them all in for an hour. You have to be careful with the new gel product though as they remain active for a while.

Common Table salt works great on moss and most weeds in cracks between paving slabs. I have never heard of using Vinegar. I suppose salt smell less as well

Now if you want moss to grow, Stale milk is the answer. Pour or paint it on and give it a week for the smell to die away and just watch the moss grow. Great for making artificial stone look a century old.

Diluted Bleach also works on moss and any lichen

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
          Going back to the subject of tree stumps, we had a big eucalyptus cut down last year, and cut it off horizontally at about 3 ft. Rather than kill the stump I made a feature of it and use it as a plantpot stand in summer and a bird table in winter..works really well. Don't know if you can see it very well here, under the flowers between the burner and the tub..
          Looks good Elsa, I was sat in the garden at 5.30am his morning and have decided to go with Handy's idea of a climber. Ideal spot for a passion flower unless there is a decent clamatis that flowers throughout the summer.

I will try and take a picture later on. It is a real mess with a huge mock orange tangled up in it. It too had grown to rediculous proportions, pushing up through the Bay.

Must get on with it as it looks a mess.

Comment

Honeysuckle is good too...grows like mad though..it's covered our pergola in 2 years and flowered on and on all year through the bad weather. Smells gorgeous too, of course!
            That's a wisteria too on the right but the last cold winter knocked it back and it's never flowered yet.
            Attached Files

Comment

I have just cut a Honeysuckle down. It too went berserk and was covered in blackfly.

Comment

Aww I hate blackfly. I have this purpley black frondy shrub..not sure what it is..but it gets covered in horrible black eggs all over the branches, with tiny black beetles.
                I just jet them off with the hose though and the ducks feast on them..

Comment

Rose clear will kill them

Comment

Ok,

Here is my stump.

Last edited by vint1954; 1 August 2012, 13:37.

Comment

Originally posted by vint1954 View Post
                      Diluted Bleach also works on moss and any lichen
                      I must post up a picture of the flagstones and cobbles. Vint your right about bleach, best thing going for clearing lichen.

From our local Farm Supplies 5 gallons of Hypo Chlorate (5 x stronger than Domestos) is around £20. I dilute it 1-5 in the back pack sprayer. It cleans the York stone flags a treat.

Go with the Pashion Flower as you will get a longer season.
                      Of course you could plant a Spring and Autumn flowering Clematis together to get colour through the year.

Montana for spring and Autumn Arabella.

A lot of folk make the mistake and don't hard prune them. My Boss included as they flower on new growth.

Regards, Handy
                      Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                      Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by vint1954 View Post
                        Ok,

Here is my stump.

Too much information Vint

Was it cold as we can't see anything here

Regards, Handy
                        Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                        Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Does anyone know what would kill off ground elder? My friend has this all over her garden and she's really depressed about it. She's been told the only way to get rid of it is to dig it all out....

Remember the mantra:
                          NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
                          Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
                          Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I must post up a picture of the flagstones and cobbles. Vint your right about bleach, best thing going for clearing lichen.

From our local Farm Supplies 5 gallons of Hypo Chlorate (5 x stronger than Domestos) is around £20. I dilute it 1-5 in the back pack sprayer. It cleans the York stone flags a treat.

Go with the Pashion Flower as you will get a longer season.
                            Of course you could plant a Spring and Autumn flowering Clematis together to get colour through the year.

Montana for spring and Autumn Arabella.

A lot of folk make the mistake and don't hard prune them. My Boss included as they flower on new growth.

Regards, Handy
                            Thanks for the tips Handy.

I think I will go with a passion flower. I have one growing in a pot at the moment.

Comment

Too much information Vint

Was it cold as we can't see anything here

Regards, Handy
                              The old 10inch stump joke eh!

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                                Does anyone know what would kill off ground elder? My friend has this all over her garden and she's really depressed about it. She's been told the only way to get rid of it is to dig it all out....

What a bugger. I am sure that Handy will recomend glyphosate, but I dont think you can ever be trully free of it.

If you dig it up, you only need a smal peice left in the soil for it to sprout again

Comment

Working...
                                X