GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script - CLOSED - Tips and Advice - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

- CLOSED - Tips and Advice

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Garden Corner: for the green fingered amongst us

Originally posted by evenlessdopey View Post
    you guys put me to shame!!!

I'm just trying to fill in the garden with stuff that will come back year after year. Lost loads due to the orrible weather at Christmas (we had -22 for quite a while), now its the wet, its murdering my wee petunias!!! had to plant out stuff in the pouring rain yesterday cos they were drowning in the wee pots. Got a couple of tomato plants going so here's hoping. Any suggestions for growing a tall shrub quickly as I lost an 8ft fushia in the winter which normally screens out the pesky neighbours, i can see them now!!!
    Honeysuckle also brings in the honey bees we are loosing so fast, can become a rabid climber and need a good trim, has a lovely scent in the early evening time if planted near the house windows or even under them.

cuttings are simple to take, cut just after a leaf node, pull of the leave above the cut you made, dip into water, then rooting hormone and place into a 50/50 soils and grit mix

month or so those cuttings will take root and start to shoot , harden off and plant up.
    if your having water logging problems maybe raise pots from ground allowing water out or re pot and give a good does of grit to the bottom before planting up.

Comment

got a honeysukle started off and an older one which is a bit rampant. Aiming for a shrubbery to screen off the back.

this is a great thread Treepiary, another interesting addition to AAD, thanks for taking the time!

Comment

I feel betrayed.

I never use insecticides because I have a wildlife friendly garden, and pet ducks, and therefore when I got greenfly on my lettuces I just sprayed them off / fed affected ones to the ducks.
        I also put my trust in ladybirds.
        T'other day I was watering when I felt a sharp nip on my arm..thought I'd been stung by a wasp, but when I looked, a ladybird was clamped to my arm like a big red tick.
        I flicked it off and a lump and bruise 1/2" across came up within minutes.
        Nasty little beggar! I hope it's house burns down!!

Comment

ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
            I feel betrayed.

I never use insecticides because I have a wildlife friendly garden, and pet ducks, and therefore when I got greenfly on my lettuces I just sprayed them off / fed affected ones to the ducks.
            I also put my trust in ladybirds.
            T'other day I was watering when I felt a sharp nip on my arm..thought I'd been stung by a wasp, but when I looked, a ladybird was clamped to my arm like a big red tick.
            I flicked it off and a lump and bruise 1/2" across came up within minutes.
            Nasty little beggar! I hope it's house burns down!!

a jar of boiling water one garlic clove and a hot chilli pepper ( can be powdered)

place the garlic and pepper into the jar give it a really really good stir and let it steep until cold, drain of the liquid and use this to spray on your plants. you can also add an unfragrances soap to.

very cheap and easy anti bug spray natures own way

Comment

Well thats the heads chopped off, to allow new babies to grow
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I love gardening and at Easter sowed lots of seeds: beetroot, butternut squash, tomato, lettuce, peas, beans. They were coming along very nice on my windowsills but a combination of lousy weather/overload of work meant that I didn't get them planted out so they ended up on the compost - gutted!

I have got raspberries and rhubarb though at the moment and I've had strawberries. Going to get some things planted for the winter now that I'm not working.

My honeysuckle is absolutely rampant but smells heavenly.

A good quick growing shrub Dopes, is buddleia. Attracts the butterflies too. The bees love the cotoneaster. There's another plant in my garden which grows about 6 feet tall but dies back every year that the bees love too. I've forgotten what the name of it is.
                Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks for the 'recipe' for the natural insecticide treepiary.
                  Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

We go Bramble Picking - filled up 20 Tubs last year - OH just finished using the last tub - They seem to be late this year - Can't wait, they taste better than SuperMarket berries, especialy when OH puts them in Muffins for me Scrummy scrummy

Comment

5corpio,

Thanks, that reminds me we must do the walk along the hayling billy line again as there is blackberrys in abundance along there.

Last time I looked they where going from green to red so should be ready now.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by pixie View Post
                        Thanks for the 'recipe' for the natural insecticide treepiary.
                        Have you heard about the one that uses Rhubarb leaves. When you pick your Rhubarb just put the green leaves in a bucket/barrel of water for a few days and leave to rot a little. Then just spay or water on your plants. The Leaves contain Formic Acid (the same as in an Ant Bite) this will help keep the pesky bugs off your veggies. Don't make it over strong though.

Regards, Handy.
                        Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                        Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                          5corpio,

Thanks, that reminds me we must do the walk along the hayling billy line again as there is blackberrys in abundance along there.

Last time I looked they where going from green to red so should be ready now.

Regards
                          The Sloes are nearly ready down here. A sign that its going to be another bad Winter The Holly has been heavy with berries for the last month as well.

Sloes (the berry of the Blackthorn) make a good astringent as well as one of Handy's favorites, Sloe Gin As if you hadn't guessed that already. Easy to make with a bottle of cheap Gin and a few ounces of Sugar.

Great on a cold winters morning.

Regards all, Handy.
                          Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                          Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

I have just bagged myself a free Mantis mini tiller off Havant freegle, the chap said he could not start it.

Anyway all it needs is a service as for one the airfilter is very dirty and the bit of fuel that is in it is stale.

So just order a service kit from here:

http://mantis-uk.co.uk/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=163

Then it will be good to go.

Cannot believe the bargain I got hehe.

Am on the look out now for other garden tools and plant cuttings etc.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                              I have just bagged myself a free Mantis mini tiller off Havant freegle, the chap said he could not start it.

Anyway all it needs is a service as for one the airfilter is very dirty and the bit of fuel that is in it is stale.

So just order a service kit from here:

http://mantis-uk.co.uk/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=163

Then it will be good to go.

Cannot believe the bargain I got hehe.

Am on the look out now for other garden tools and plant cuttings etc.

Regards
                              You can come round and do mine

Comment

I2D,

I put a wanted message on the Havant Freegle site for garden tools and have just had a reply offering me a garden rake and dutch hoe.

Fantastic

Comment

Working...
                                X