GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script - CLOSED - Tips and Advice - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

- CLOSED - Tips and Advice

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Garden Corner: for the green fingered amongst us

Spent all day in the garden removing a huge Bay bush.

Anybody know how to kill a Bay trunk, about 14 inches accross?

Comment

Originally posted by vint1954 View Post
      Spent all day in the garden removing a huge Bay bush.

Anybody know how to kill a Bay trunk, about 14 inches accross?
      Handyman's your man..............give him a PM
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Round up Tree and Stump Killer is what you need. Follow the instructions. For your size of Tree Stump, what I would do is drill up to 6 1/2 inch holes as deep as you can say 4 - 5 inches. Pour the neat liquid into the holes and then I drip candle wax over the top of the holes to seal in the liquid. This stops rain diluting or evaporation. You can also paint the cut stump with a diluted mixture.

Having said all this I have on stubborn old Buddleia that just refuses to die no matter how much stump killer I feed it

How close have you cut it to the ground? I try to cut mine as close to the ground without buggering the chainsaw blade. If you want to lose the root below ground level It should have rotted enough by spring to knock bits off for if I remember rightly The Bay tree is of the Laurel Family and loosely related to the Eucalyptus. As a shrub they are pretty easy to lift the roots but as a mature tree the roots tend to go for a fair distance.

A 14 inch stump? what height was it? 20 + feet?

Regards, Handy
        Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
        Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Round up Tree and Stump Killer is what you need. Follow the instructions. For your size of Tree Stump, what I would do is drill up to 6 1/2 inch holes as deep as you can say 4 - 5 inches. Pour the neat liquid into the holes and then I drip candle wax over the top of the holes to seal in the liquid. This stops rain diluting or evaporation. You can also paint the cut stump with a diluted mixture.

Having said all this I have on stubborn old Buddleia that just refuses to die no matter how much stump killer I feed it

How close have you cut it to the ground? I try to cut mine as close to the ground without buggering the chainsaw blade. If you want to lose the root below ground level It should have rotted enough by spring to knock bits off for if I remember rightly The Bay tree is of the Laurel Family and loosely related to the Eucalyptus. As a shrub they are pretty easy to lift the roots but as a mature tree the roots tend to go for a fair distance.

A 14 inch stump? what height was it? 20 + feet?

Regards, Handy
          Thanks Handy. I will give that a go.

I had kept it trimmed down to about 14 ft, but it had to go.

It must have been there for years. I inherited it with the house.

I have got most of the greenery down, but the trunks are still at about 5ft. I will attack it agan tomorrow. The trunk at ground level is massive. It then splits into 2 trunks each about 8 or 9 inches accross. There are another couple of 6 in trunks coming out of the ground. The problem is that it is right up against the fence. I think it must have crept in from next door at some point.

Thanks for the advice.

Vint

Comment

Originally posted by vint1954 View Post
            Thanks Handy. I will give that a go.

I had kept it trimmed down to about 14 ft, but it had to go.

It must have been there for years. I inherited it with the house.

I have got most of the greenery down, but the trunks are still at about 5ft. I will attack it agan tomorrow. The trunk at ground level is massive. It then splits into 2 trunks each about 8 or 9 inches accross. There are another couple of 6 in trunks coming out of the ground. The problem is that it is right up against the fence. I think it must have crept in from next door at some point.

Thanks for the advice.

Vint
            Could I make a suggestion, as it splits at ground level and I don't know if you have a chainsaw. It sounds like a sod to work on. Drill holes at a downward angle about 6 - 9 Inches from the ground. Add the Stump Killer. You could use Plasticine or putty to seal the holes as at that angle wax wont work. Ring bark the stump about a foot from the ground (remove the bark all round the diameter of the stump in an inch wide strip) this will help speed things up. Then use the stump as a support for a nice climbing Rose or Clematis. I always wrap a tube of Chicken wire around the first few feet to give the young climbers a bit of grip while the get going.

Just a thought.

Regards, Handy
            Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
              The froggie bit must have come from me! A colleague of mine who used to live in Central London always said I lived 'almost in France'!
              I live almost on Isle of Wight, can see it but cannot quiet touch it!!!!!

Comment

How true is it that brown vinegar is a good weedkiller if you have pets, just with the rain we have had plus the dog pooing the soil is rich and thus the weeds are like 3ft tall.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                  How true is it that brown vinegar is a good weedkiller if you have pets, just with the rain we have had plus the dog pooing the soil is rich and thus the weeds are like 3ft tall.
                  The 2 most toxic substances known to mankind, Polar Bear Liver and Cat Poo.

The reason nothing grows in the Arctic or my Garden

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Could I make a suggestion, as it splits at ground level and I don't know if you have a chainsaw. It sounds like a sod to work on. Drill holes at a downward angle about 6 - 9 Inches from the ground. Add the Stump Killer. You could use Plasticine or putty to seal the holes as at that angle wax wont work. Ring bark the stump about a foot from the ground (remove the bark all round the diameter of the stump in an inch wide strip) this will help speed things up. Then use the stump as a support for a nice climbing Rose or Clematis. I always wrap a tube of Chicken wire around the first few feet to give the young climbers a bit of grip while the get going.

Just a thought.

Regards, Handy
                    Great idea Handy.

No, I do not have a chain saw. I have removed what I can with a recipricating saw, but the big stumps will be too big for this. I was contemplating using a Puttock, but that seems long winded.

Vint

Comment

Somehow I do not think my wifes suggestion of brown vinegar will work as these are not piddly patio weeds but monsters lol
                      Last edited by pompeyfaith; 31 July 2012, 22:09.

Comment

Needs re-turfing so probably best way is to hire a Rotavator then screed the soil through some chicken wire to remove all the crap.
                        Last edited by pompeyfaith; 31 July 2012, 22:12.

Comment

Somehow I do not think my wifes suggestion of brown vinegar will work as these are not piddly patio weeds but monsters lol
                          Always go with Chemicals.

Comment

Good with Chips though!

Comment

But which chemicals are totally safe with Dogs? as my Border Collie is very territorial and keeping her out of HER the garden is a big fat no.

Comment

Most commercial weed killers like path clear are safe as soon as they dry. With six dogs and a cat at Hooray Hall and miles of paving and cobbles I have to be careful. All I do is wait for a dry day and keep them all in for an hour. You have to be careful with the new gel product though as they remain active for a while.

Common Table salt works great on moss and most weeds in cracks between paving slabs. I have never heard of using Vinegar. I suppose salt smell less as well

Now if you want moss to grow, Stale milk is the answer. Pour or paint it on and give it a week for the smell to die away and just watch the moss grow. Great for making artificial stone look a century old.

Last edited by Handyman; 31 July 2012, 23:58.

Comment

Working...
                                X