GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Windscreen crack - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windscreen crack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen crack

Went to pick my son up from the station this afternoon and saw a crack in the screen on the passenger side going vertically from the top to just above where the wipers wipe.

Obviously the screen will have to be replaced but I won't have the money for the excess £60.00 until about 7-10 days time.

Is there anything I can do to stop it getting worse in the meantime ?

I did a quick google and there's tips on everything from nail varnish to drilling a hole and using superglue, but would be more interested in hearing if anyone has actually done anything themselves that worked for a short period of time.

I use the car everyday mostly for short 5 to 10 mile trips but I've got to take my Mum to a hospital appointment on Thursday that's more like a 50 mile round trip.

Thx

Re: Windscreen crack

do you not have free autoglass in your policy

Comment

Don't worry about it, just use the car as normal, it won't break or anything, just get it replaced when you can, it is perfectly safe.

Comment

I guess he does MrsD as she mentions the excess, not a lot you can do except drive at slower speeds, avoid potholes and speed bumps so as not to make the crack spread.

It is bonded in I guess so there is no chance of it falling
        Last edited by pompeyfaith; 30 January 2013, 11:54.

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
          Don't worry about it, just use the car as normal, it won't break or anything, just get it replaced when you can, it is perfectly safe.
          I'll second that.. Mine went in August last year and I didn't get it replaced for a couple of months. The crack just slowly spread. Don't worry, it won't shatter suddenly or anything like that.

Comment

Thanks everyone, so many bloody potholes in the roads round here it's unbelieveable, plus the speedhumps of course

I'll just have to take extra care to try and avoid them, was just concerned as I think it stemmed from a stome hitting the window at the weekend and I'm sure there was no crack yesterday or even this morning then this crack this afternoon that must be about 7" long !!

Yes there's a £60.00 excess to pay for windscreen replacement, thankfully it has no impact on my NCB.

Oh and Pompey, she is a he

Comment

I hate it when the windscreen has a crack or a chip. A few years ago the next door neighbour decided it was a great idea to have really big rockets on bonfire night and about four of us down our street had great big chips/shattered glass ,cost us £60 which we could have done without .

Talking of pot holes, ggrrr! , i was coming home a few weeks ago it was dark and i never saw the bleeding thing , the car made such a thud and now the passenger tyre keeps going down we think the valve got damaged or it's now a slow puncture.

I hope hubby gets paid next week as we need to fix the tyre and get the handbrake done before the MOT the end of next month .

Comment

Just got back from dropping my son at the station and it's definately got about longer as it's now gone past the wiper sweep area, so I'd say another 1/2" longer approx.

The beginning of the crack seems to be at the very top of the screen.

Road Tax, sorry vehicle excise duty is due end of the month too, clever how thye changed the name to cover for the fact the money doesn't all get spent on the roads.

Comment

Windshield glass is different from regular glass and is specifically designed for automobiles. Windshield glass is manufactured in a way to support the structure of a vehicle using different types of safety glass. Safety glass is used in the making of all automobile glass because it reduces the likelihood of injury if it breaks.
                  The two different types of glass used in making automobile glass are laminated glass and tempered glass. The windshield glass itself is made from laminated glass. In 1927 the automobile industry began using laminated glass by taking two pieces of glass and sticking them together with a transparent piece of plastic called polyvinyl butyral (PVB). The plastic and two sheets of glass are infused by using heat and extreme pressure.
                  This process keeps the windshield glass from shattering apart during a collision. The windshield is specifically designed to take impact without shattering and provide protection to occupants inside the vehicle. If the occupants of the vehicle are not wearing their safety belts and are thrown into the windshield, the vinyl layer acts as a cushion to the occupant. Since it does not usually shatter, the broken pieces adhere to the plastic lining, giving it a spiderweb-like appearance.
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

You'll be fine; the laminated glass has a type of glue within it which holds the glass together and stops it from shattering. The crack will get bigger and may spread all the way from top to bottom so ideally needs replacing as soon as possible but it won't fall in on you
                    If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

if it was on your driver side it would be illegal but so long as it doesnt spread over to you, your safe to drive till you can replace it.
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

You might find it gets a lot bigger in the mornings if water gets into the crack and turns to ice and it expands and cracks the glass.

Also the glass has weakened, I would be concerened if a stone impacts the windscreen from a vehicle in front of you flinging one up. The glass shouldn't fly into the vehicle but could really alarm you if the glass shatters, so do be prepared for that. Lamination does not stop it from shattering, it stops the glass breaking into large shards that could cause an injury.
                        Last edited by Bricktop; 1 February 2013, 22:50.

Comment

Working...
                        X