GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Working 26 hours at once !!!! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working 26 hours at once !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working 26 hours at once !!!!

My wife works as a support worker working with young people with constant care and supervision. Her hours of work are 2pm until 2pm the following day, but at 10pm she has to stay on the premises and sleep until 7am then continue through until 2pm making 24 hours.

They now want her to work until 4pm, making it a 26 hour shift and say they can do this as the nightshift which she is sleeping( she is basically on call) if any of the residents wake does not count !!

Can they actually demand this ?

Regards

M

Re: Working 26 hours at once !!!!

Sounds excessive to me.....Have a read here----> https://www.gov.uk/night-working-hours/hours-and-limits
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

sounds VERY excessive to me..what does her contract of employment say ?

Comment

Actually i think they can.

She is sleeping during the night, the only time shes on call is if she has to get up during the night, which is then classed as part of her working hours.

So if she sleeps 8 hours and wakes up for 2 hours, thats 2 hours worked.

A client of mine, who runs a care home does this quite alot, but he pays his staff for an overnight stay just so they get something for it.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

the sleep element is paid for about £30.00 if I remember correctly whereas night duty carer get £70+ for the wake shift, so after resting they are being asked to do an extra - knowing most companies they will only pay basic not overtime or take time off in lieu , then that causes problems, the situation here is the same as most care/residential homes homes etc. My wife is a night shift carer for Adult Special Needs and use to do a sleep night in the old days and as above happened then.
          Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 21 February 2013, 10:54.

Comment

As far as i understand care home/careers

They are allowed to work a max of 8 hours day and 10 hours night shift.

But if shes working the day, then sleeping overnight, then working a day after, that may be abit unfair.
            Last edited by SXGuy; 21 February 2013, 15:04.

Comment

Do you know what the contract of employment states about working hours? I believe employees must sign a disclaimer to work more than 48 hours a week. Is your wife a member of a trade union?
              When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Working...
              X