GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script carers allowance - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

carers allowance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carers allowance

My dad is in a care home permanent now so my mum is on her own . She is a cancer survivor she has asthma and is bent over with age sciatica - she cannot make her own meals properly as she can't stand straight so i make them for her and i am there twice a day to make sure she has eaten and i do all her housework for her .

Could i claim care allowance for looking after her , and does this affect her pension i really know nothing about this .
    I was a meeting yesterday with my mum and a social worker who is seeing to the financial side of things for my dads care and she asked if i was my mum's carer and i said yes and she said i should look into to claiming it .

thank you
    s2m x

Re: carers allowance

Sorry your Dad is in a home, I know what it was like moving Mum into one.
    as for the allowance, there is no harm in applying BUT if you are in recipt of any other benifits it could affect them,

try and find out more on line or phone Age UK who may be abl to explain things more xxx
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Carers allowance is a taxable benefit. If your mum gets SEvere disablement benefit, it might affect that. She does have to be in receipt of DLA, pip or attendance allowance for you to get it.

Comment

she gets attendance allowance but that will stop now my dad is in a home . so looks like i won't qua;ify .

Comment

She should apply for attendance allowance in her own right.

Comment

You can apply for attendance allowance for looking after her. I get indefinite lower rate allowance to care for my mother. Doesn't affect benefits and isn't taxable
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
              You can apply for attendance allowance for looking after her. I get indefinite lower rate allowance to care for my mother. Doesn't affect benefits and isn't taxable
              Does she have to have a disability though ?

Comment

No not for the lower rate. Just need to answer some simple questions about what she needs help with etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                  No not for the lower rate. Just need to answer some simple questions about what she needs help with etc.
                  Thanks what is the lower rate please ?

Comment

It's £220.40 every four weeks

Comment

thanks sxguy will apply see what happens .

Comment

Originally posted by JLC View Post

She should apply for attendance allowance in her own right.
                        Hi- since my dad died in April my mum has now been awarded attendance allowance and I applied for carers allowance as i am my mum's full time carer . I applied nearly 6 weeks ago and haven't heard a thing .

When I submitted to the application online it said it would take 3 weeks for a decision and nothing at all .Should I contact them and see how my claim is proceeding ?
                        thanks x

Comment

I would, sometimes they *misplace* things

Comment

It was seven weeks until my was awarded attendance allowance so will wait until next Friday then if nothing will ring up - if I do get it I should get back pay from week my dad died which will be about 16 weeks .

Comment

Working...
                            X