GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Rent-to-own firms 'selling to vulnerable people' - Brighthouse - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rent-to-own firms 'selling to vulnerable people' - Brighthouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rent-to-own firms 'selling to vulnerable people' - Brighthouse

Rent-to-own firms 'selling to vulnerable people' - Brighthouse

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on: 4th July 2016 14:36
    Rent-to-own companies are selling products to vulnerable people with mental health problems and learning disabilities, the BBC has found.

The firms allow customers to pay for a household item in instalments, with high interest rates, until they own it. Citizens Advice worries that vulnerable people are being "pushed into further financial difficulty". BrightHouse - the biggest company - denies exploiting consumers in vulnerable circumstances. During an investigation for the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme, former Labour leader Ed Miliband called for better and clearer regulation of the rent-to-own sector. "It seems to me that too often rent-to-own companies are taking advantage of people who feel they have nowhere else to go. The regulator needs to stop the most vulnerable people in our society, like those with learning difficulties, being taken advantage of," he said. "Paul", who has asked us to hide his identity, has learning difficulties and mental health problems. At one stage, he was paying BrightHouse for five items - including furniture and electrical goods - using his welfare payments.....Source Here

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.

Re: Rent-to-own firms 'selling to vulnerable people' - Brighthouse

Brighthouse will deny everything, they all stem from "The School for Scoundrels"
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Re: Rent-to-own firms 'selling to vulnerable people' - Brighthouse

Tallyman, Provident, Pawn shops. Twas ever thus. When you live from hand to mouth and do not know where the next job is coming from, and if you have no family or friend with resources to lend sometimes you have to us those services. Even in 2016 there are so many people with nothing and no prospects of improvement.

A washing machine is a necessity for a family. A person with learning disabilities may need a TV or gaming machine so that they can be 'managed' by their family or carers. Both issues conflict with resource allocation. e.g. do we provide water for India and African villages, or help at home?

Comment

Working...
      X