GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Tim Peake: UK astronaut set for space milestone - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tim Peake: UK astronaut set for space milestone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Peake: UK astronaut set for space milestone

UK astronaut Tim Peake is ready to make his landmark flight to the International Space Station (ISS).

The ex-helicopter pilot - with American Tim Kopra and Russian Yuri Malenchenko - will launch on a Russian Soyuz rocket at Baikonur Cosmodrome, in Kazakhstan.

Mr Peake is the first official UK astronaut. Previous "British" astronauts have either had US citizenship and worked for Nasa or been privately funded.

On the ISS he will conduct experiments.

He will also carry out educational activities designed to get young people interested in science.

Fuelling of the rocket has begun ahead of the launch - set for today at 11:03 GMT - from Site 1 at Baikonur, the pad where Yuri Gagarin made the first historic human spaceflight in 1961.

Read more here — > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34991335
    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Re: Tim Peake: UK astronaut set for space milestone

It will take them six hours to catch up with the space station, hurtling through space at 17,500mph.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	1
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	1410204

Major Peake will spend six months on board the space station, which orbits the Earth.

Name:	2.png
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	1410206

The former helicopter pilot has spent six years training to become the first professional British astronaut to be employed by the European Space Agency.

A Space walk planned for sometime in January.

His mission, named Principia after Sir Isaac Newton’s work Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica, which described the laws of gravity, could be crucial to our understanding of life on Earth and beyond. Major Peake is conducting 23 experiments on himself to assess the impact of space flight on the human body, trials which are crucial ahead of a manned mission to Mars.

Although Helen Sharman was officially the first Britain in space, she was not representing Britain and travelled after winning a competition to visit the Mir Space Station.

Name:	3.png
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	1410202

Comment

I sat in the car whilst husband drove and watched it on my iPhone! Amazing.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I loved watching the launch yesterday. It reminded me of watching the rocket launches when I was a child. I watched it again on the tea time news with my granddaughter and she thought it was amazing.
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Where's Scarborough ?????

Comment

Originally posted by Deepie View Post

Where's Scarborough ?????

You're banned from another thread!!

Comment

What could possibly go wrong on a spacewalk?

On Monday, astronauts on the International Space Station carried out a spacewalk in order to perform repairs. Everything went according to plan, but leaving the safety of the station is extremely dangerous and things can go wrong. What do astronauts have to watch out for?

Here ---> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34810412

Comment

Tim Peake is set to carry out the first ever spacewalk by an "official" British astronaut.

Major Peake and Nasa astronaut Tim Kopra are scheduled to step outside the International Space Station at 12:55 GMT.

They will replace a faulty component on the station's exterior, which has compromised a power channel on the outpost.

Michael Foale became the first Briton to carry out a spacewalk in 1995.

He flew under a US banner with Nasa.

"I think a spacewalk is absolutely the pinnacle of an astronaut's career," Major Peake told BBC Stargazing Live this week.

The European Space Agency (Esa) astronaut added: "We've put a huge amount of effort into this spacewalk. It's hugely exciting and we're ready to go."

The six-and-a-half hour extra-vehicular activity (EVA) - the technical term for a spacewalk - will see the two Tims replace a failed electrical box which regulates power from the solar panels.

Read more here -- > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35273912

Comment

Working...
                X