GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Tax return deadline: HMRC answers your questions - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tax return deadline: HMRC answers your questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax return deadline: HMRC answers your questions

Tax return deadline: HMRC answers your questions

Well over a million people have yet to submit their tax returns to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), although the deadline is 31 January.
    The forms must be completed by self-employed people and those with one source of income - but also by high earners who claim child benefit.
    People who miss the deadline face a £100 fine, but may be allowed an extension if they have registered to file online.

More---> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25961209
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Tax return deadline: HMRC answers your questions

Tax returns are due 3 months after notification to file a tax return, or january 31st, which ever comes first. The trouble is, if you apply for self employment a few days before jan 31st, and are due to file a return for the previous year, you will get an automatic £100 fine.

The only way out is to apeal, which can be a headache. Always best to make sure you register to allow yourself enough time, to file your return, and preferably, months before jan 31st deadline.

Tax is also due by this date.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
      Tax is also due by this date.
      So what happens if their system is down ...like what happened to me today and you can't pay, because of the sheer volume ?

Comment

Originally posted by Deepie View Post
        So what happens if their system is down ...like what happened to me today and you can't pay, because of the sheer volume ?

How did you try to pay it? direct bank transfer or via their website? usually we advise clients to either pay by direct transfer or ask for a giro and pay way before jan 31st in order for it to clear on time.

If you cant pay, because of their systems being down, they "should" give you an exemption, however its more likely, that they will charge interest until payment has cleared, i.e until you can make payment, and then you will need to file an appeal and state that their systems were down.

The sad thing about the apeals process is, you are confined to a limited amount of reasons. They have to consider whether your appeal against a penalty was based on "reasonable exception" if you get a muppet looking at your apeal case, then they will say, sorry its not defined as reasonable, and you then have to object to their decision and take it further, much like a complaint to the FOS i guess in a way.

But usually, if the first apeal doesnt succeed, you will after you object to their decision.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
          How did you try to pay it? direct bank transfer or via their website? usually we advise clients to either pay by direct transfer or ask for a giro and pay way before jan 31st in order for it to clear on time.

If you cant pay, because of their systems being down, they "should" give you an exemption, however its more likely, that they will charge interest until payment has cleared, i.e until you can make payment, and then you will need to file an appeal and state that their systems were down.

The sad thing about the apeals process is, you are confined to a limited amount of reasons. They have to consider whether your appeal against a penalty was based on "reasonable exception" if you get a muppet looking at your apeal case, then they will say, sorry its not defined as reasonable, and you then have to object to their decision and take it further, much like a complaint to the FOS i guess in a way.

But usually, if the first apeal doesnt succeed, you will after you object to their decision.
          Direct bank transfer ....When Mrs Deepie rang the bank.... they said HMRC were having problems with the sheer volume of people trying to pay.

Tried again this morning and it's gone through fine......

Comment

well if HMRC know that there was trouble paying, which they should, then they should extend the time needed to pay by a few days, however, if they want to be assholes, you will receive interest charged on being late by 1 day.

Wont amount to much, but if you do, let me know and we can formulate an appeal.

Comment

Working...
            X