GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Car tax disc to be axed after 93 years - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car tax disc to be axed after 93 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car tax disc to be axed after 93 years

The tax disc to show motorists have paid vehicle excise duty is to be replaced with an electronic system, Chancellor George Osborne has announced in his Autumn Statement.

The disc was introduced in 1921 but officials say it is no longer needed with the DVLA and police now relying on an electronic register.

The new system will allow people to pay the charge by monthly direct debit.

The Treasury said it showed government was moving "into the modern age".

It would also make "dealing with government more hassle free", a spokesman added.

At present, motorists are able to choose whether they pay VED in twelve or six month instalments.

The latter option costs 10% extra each year, but this is expected to be cut to 5%.

The new option of paying by monthly direct debit is also expected to cost 5% more than paying for a full year in one go.

The changes are expected to come into effect in October 2014.

Read more — >http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25223631
    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Re: Car tax disc to be axed after 93 years

About time! I hate it when my tax disc is due; it's also the same month as my MOT so to be able to spread the cost into monthly payments will be most welcomed.
    If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

I think it will be great to spread the cost over 12 months
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Has it's draw backs though like how do you know if say a car was parked in your space and was untaxed? or when buying a car private how do you know if it has tax on it

Comment

I'm not sure how you'd check when buying a car privately but won't they use DVLA records to check who the registered keeper is regardless of where a vehicle might be parked?
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Anyone can go onto the DVLA website and by entering the Reg No. and make of the vehicle can see the Date of Liabilty (tax renewal date), rate of tax, date of first registration, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X