GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Pip's UE Diary - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pip's UE Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Banks I suggest for comfort?? banks want you to increase ineptness then drop you in it!
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pip View Post
      Re: Pip's UE Diary

Pip's account no. 7
      Sainsbury's
      Start date: June 2004
      Balance as of Dec 2011: approx. £7,000
      Last "full" payment (i.e. within their stipulated minimum): Sep 2010 (approx).
      Last DMP payment via CCCS: Dec 2011
      Default notice issued Feb 2011.
      Status: Last payment in Dec 2011 (smaller amount in Dec 2011 than the regular DMP payment had been up to that month)

JAN CCA request sent to Sainsbury's Bank (Royal Mail delivery conf. printed)
      JAN CCA received-- emailed Niddy -- Niddy says

---> Snipped, see post no. 7 for rest

MAY Letter from Cabot External agency recovery notification -- This letter is to notify you that as we have not come to a mutual agreement to repay your account, Cabot will be passing your account out to Ruthbridge Limited, a debt collection agency.
      MAY Letter from Ruthbridge (in same envelope) We have been instructed by Cabot Financial Europe Ltd who have passed to above debt to us for collection of the outstanding balance. As we have now been appointed their agent, you should now make sure you contact us and not Cabot. We are authorised to negotiate repayment of the debt with you. We would like to resolve this matter taking into account your current financial situation and working with you to agree repayment terms that are affordable with you. // We are able to discuss various repayment options, these include: // Repayment of the debt by realistic instalments over an agreed period, subject to your financial circumstances and periodic review. // Early settlement of the debt by payment of a single lump sum. Under these circumstances if may be possible to agree a significantly reduced figure to be accepted as a settlement on the account. // To avoid any further action it is important that you make contact with us on the telephone number above so we may work together to agree a solution in line with your personal circumstances. // You should be aware this debt will remain outstanding if ignored and we urge you to work with us to get the matter resolved as quickly as possible.
      MAY Letter from Ruthbridge We have received no response to our previous attempts to establish contact with you regarding the unpaid defaulted account above. In an effort to amicably resolve the situation we are prepared to offer a discount to settle the balance of up to 70%, subject to criteria. The payment must be received in our offices no later than [less than a week's time!]. The payment would be accepted in settlement of your liability and will also ensure that you are not pursued for the remaining balance at any point in the future by us or our client. // If you fail to contact us to discuss this offer further, propose an alternative arrangement for the repayment of the balance or advise us of the reasons why you are unable to pay, we may return the account to our client who may look at alternative activity. // We would rather resolve this matter amicably and ask that you contact us to make this possible. If you are in a postion to take advantage of our settlement offer once your remittance has been received and cleared, our client where applicable will update the credit reference agencies to mark your account as partially settled.
      APR Letter from Ruthbridge We write to confirm that we are able to offer you a special discount on your outstanding balance. We are prepared to accept a Full and Final payment of 20% of the balance in settlement of your obligation. However the payment needs to be made no later than [next week] for the offer to be valid. Payments can be made via ... // Please ensure that funds are affordable and make us aware of any outstanding priority bills you may have before making this payment. Once your remittance has been received and cleared, our client where applicable will update the credit reference agencies to mark your account as partially settled.
      Not heard anything about this account for a year, and I've not sent any letter to anybody about this account for 6 years and 1 month! This generous offer will be lovingly filed away.

Comment

Not heard anything about this account for a year, and I've not sent any letter to anybody about this account for 6 years and 1 month! This generous offer will be lovingly filed away.

Good plan (filing their latest offer to pay letter)

I can also see the account was defaulted (following issue/service of a DN in February 2011?) so it should be well and truly Statute Barred.

Di

Comment

Pip's account no. 6
          RBS Mint
          Start date: March 2000
          Balance as of Dec 2011: approx. £5,000
          Default notice issued Nov 2010.
          Status: Last payment in Dec 2011 (smaller amount in Dec 2011 than the regular DMP payment had been up to that month)

JAN CCA Request sent to RBS
          JAN CCA received -- emailed Niddy -- Niddy says (post #92)

----> Snipped --- see post #6 for rest

MAR Letter from Cabot: Welcome to Cabot. We are part of the Cabot Credit Management Group that own your Mint credit card. We have recently confirmed you are living at the above address and need to make you aware that we are now responsible for helping you manage your account and receiving your future payments. // Next Steps: We want the repayment process to be as easy as possible for you [...] Bottom of letter states: "Cabot Financial (Europe) Ltd is an Appointed Representative of Cabot Credit Management Group Ltd". Second enclosed sheet states: "Cabot Financial UK Ltd has acquired your account and is now the legal owner. This letter is a notice of assignment and it is important you keep this letter at all times. Cabot Financial UK Ltd has appointed Cabot Credit Management Group Ltd to act on its behalf in relation to all of its accounts purchased. Cabot Credit Management Group Ltd is authorised and regulated by the FCA and has appointed Cabot Financial (Europe) Ltd, Hillesden securities Ltd t/a dlc and Apax Credit management as appointed representatives. You will be provided with reasonable notice as to which firm in our Group is administering your account.
          MAR Letter from Cabot: Pay 10% of balance to close your account with Cabot. We want to give you an opportunity to close your account with Cabot. With a one-off payment you could be free of your account. We would like to discuss whether this offer is affordable for you. We can discuss your situation with you, and if it's more affordable we can arrange for you to break up this discounted offer over a period of time. Once you have made your final payment we will send you a letter to confirm your account has been closed and we will stop contacting you about this account.
          AUG Letter from Cabot: Set up your ideal payment plan There are many different options available to close your account, every month 10,000 of our customers close their accounts with a payable plan and we think this can work for you too. It's easy to set up and affordable. How to get started Call us .... Go to our website ...
          Cabot started writing to me in June 2016 and I've not written a single thing back to them. Their statistics there are interesting. As if setting up a payment plan is tantamount to "closing your account"! As they don't write very often I may as well keep quiet for another six months and then maybe send them a "do not write to me, it's statute barred" letter.

Comment

• no communication as may start the statute barred clock
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

• mine, for this month, was an e-mail, saying they, (Cabot) have been trying to contact me about a Nationwide account. they ask why I don't log into my account online and see about starting an online budget plan.

How do they know they have the correct e-mail?
              so will wait for next missive, Oh yes plus the fact

1, I don't have any income of my own
              2, It's UE.
              3, It's also SB,

Comment

Pip's account no. 7
                Sainsbury's

----->>>> Snipped ... see post #7 for rest!

APR Letter from Ruthbridge We write to confirm that we are able to offer you a special discount on your outstanding balance. We are prepared to accept a Full and Final payment of 20% of the balance in settlement of your obligation. However the payment needs to be made no later than [next week] for the offer to be valid. Payments can be made via ... // Please ensure that funds are affordable and make us aware of any outstanding priority bills you may have before making this payment. Once your remittance has been received and cleared, our client where applicable will update the credit reference agencies to mark your account as partially settled.
                NOV Letter from Cabot We have passed your account to Ruthbridge. As we've been unable to reach an agreement to repay your account, we have asked Ruthbridge to manage your account for us. // A letter from Ruthbridge is included with this letter; they will help you set up an affordable payment plan which will help you become free of your account.
                NOV Letter from Ruthbridge We have been instructed by Cabot Financial Europe Ltd who have passed the above debt to us for collection of the outstanding balance. As we have been appointed as their agent you should now make sure you contact us and not Cabot. We are authorised to negotiate repayment of the debt with you. // We would like to resolve this matter taking into account your current financial situation and working with you to agree repayment terms that are affordable to you etc etc.
                NOV Letter from Ruthbridge We have received no response to our previous attempts to establish contact with you regarding the unpaid defaulted account above. // In an effort to amicably resolve the situation we are prepared to offer a discount to settle the balance of up to 70%, subject to criteria. The payment must be received in our offices no later that ten days from now. // If you fail to contact us to discuss this offer further, propose an alternative arrangement for the repayment of the balance or advise us of th reasons why you are unable to pay, we may return the account to our client, who may look at alternative activity etc. etc.
                Yawn! Amazed they're still sending this guff. Last time I wrote any letter to anybody with regard to this account was more than six years ago!!
                (Wow, the overhauled site is super-fast -- really pleased to see the old smileys are still around (I always like using the Christmas ones)

Comment

? Yawn! Amazed they're still sending this guff. Last time I wrote any letter to anybody with regard to this account was more than six years ago!! ?

I couldn't resit posting the whole history of this debt (below).

I give Cabot 10/10 for tenacity.

I give you 12/10 for persistence over the years!

The debt appears to be Statute Barred and Unenforceable. Two reasons to be cheerful

Maybe go for the hat trick if the debt owner is Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd which is not FCA authorised so can't lawfully issue court claims.

Who was the debt assigned to (Cabot Credit Management maybe managing it but not necessarily owning it)?

Originally posted by Pip View Post

Pip's account no. 7
                  Sainsbury's

JAN CCA received-- emailed Niddy -- Niddy says ?
                  JAN Sent Missing Prescribed Terms letter to Sainsbury's
                  FEB Letter from Blair, Oliver & Scott Payment not received // Failure to give attention to this will result in further action
                  FEB Letter from Sainsbury's We have complied with s.78 // I disagree that the application is unreadable // Agreement is and will remain enforceable // Full balance is due and in arrears
                  MAR Letter from Blair, Oliver & Scott Payment in arrears // Must pay immediately // Failure will result in your plan being cancelled and further action to recover debt. This may include door-to-door recovery agent to call at your address; court action to seek a judgment -- if successful we could seek an order allowing us to collect money direct from your employer or if you are a homeowner applying to court for a charging order on your property. Call today // payment can be made by CREDIT CARD
                  MAR Sent Threat-o-Gram Letter Before Action
                  MAR Letter from Blair, Oliver & Scott DO NOT IGNORE // Urgently trying to contact you // you do not appear to have responded to our requests for payment or provided acceptable repayment proposals // Call "helpline" below to speak to our agents // We urge you to sort this issue out immediately to prevent us taking further action. This may include doorstep collectors/court action/charging order.
                  MAR Letter from Blair, Oliver & Scott YOUR IMMEDIATE ACTION IS REQUIRED // You have failed to respond to our requests for full payment and not contacted this office with acceptable repayment proposals. Because of this your debt will be prepared for further action if you do not contact us within five days. // What action will be taken? // Door-to-door collectors/Court action may be taken, charging order?. How can you prevent this happening? Pay balance in full/call us TODAY to agree a suitable repayment plan. You can still prevent further action by calling us today and making a CREDIT or debit card payment. We suggest you contact a solicitor or CAB.
                  MAR Replied sending copies of Threat-o-Gram Letter Before Action previously sent to them which they have so far ignored
                  APR Letter from Sainsbury's: [Although I wrote to BO&S, not them; letter with Leeds address at top and not a proper letterhead, and with a 2nd class frank on envelope bearing "Birmingham"] Unfortunately, we've issued our final response. // Means we've nothing further to add // we really can't keep writing to you about the same issue. However, you have my assurance that we'll add any further letters you send us to our file. Turning to your allegations of harassment [...] the bank will give no undertaking not to contact your client to ask for payment, particularly as the alleged "dispute" is unfounded. // You have asked that all communication is in writing posted by special or recorded delivery [no I didn't ask for special/recorded] and that we do not contact you by telephone. Happy to write to you by standard postal services but reserve the right to contact by telephone for our legitimate commercial purposes. // As explained in our final response letter, if you're still unhappy you can ask the FOS to look into what's happened. We've now closed our file but will cooperate fully with Ombudsman Service if you decide to ask them to look into your complaint.
                  MAY Letter from Blair, Oliver & Scott NOTICE OF INTENDED COURT ACTION -- SAINSBURY'S BANK PLC versus PIP. Formal notice is hereby given that our client has instructed us to commence court proceedings against you without delay. Papers are now being prepared for commencement of action through your local court to seek a judgment against you. If you are a homeowner and do not pay [...] we may apply for charging order on your property. YOU MUST MAKE PAYMENT NOW TO STOP ACTION BEING TAKEN. Call today/talk to Helpline staff/ make payment.
                  MAY Sent Threat to Commence Litigation letter to B, O & S
                  JUN Letter from Sainsbury's Notice that they've "transferred" the debt to Moorcroft [although it's got a Stockport frank on the letter -- it's like anybody could knock these things up and send them out ...]
                  JUN Letter from Moorcroft: Been instructed by Sainsbury's // Legal requirement to send notice of intended litigation before legal proceedings are issued // Letter fulfils this even if not read by you // To prevent our recommending to our client that solicitors commence legal proceedings ... essential to settle debt without delay. If an agreement is not reached in [four days' time(!)], a claim may be issued by solicitors instructed to act on behalf of our client without further notice. Etc. Etc.
                  JUN Sent Threat to Commence Litigation letter to Moorcroft
                  JUN Letter from Moorcroft: Requesting £1 CCA request fee
                  JUN Sent letter to Moorcroft saying that I sent a CCA request letter to Sains. on such-and-such date
                  JUL Letter from Moorcroft: Please send proof that you requested CCA and that the £1.00 was paid.
                  JUL Letter from Midas Credit Services: LITIGATION WARNING -- We are part of Moorcroft Group and are aware that you have failed to reach a repayment agreement with Moorcroft concerning above a/c. We are now reviewing the a/c prior to the possible recommending of legal action by external solicitors acting on behalf of our clients. To prevent possible further action you must contact Moorcroft at this address. Failure to contact Moorcroft by [couple of days ago] may result in the issue of legal proceedings without further notice.
                  JUL Sent Threat to Commence Litigation letter to Moorcroft
                  JUL Sent Threat to Commence Litigation letter to Midas
                  JUL Letter from Moorcroft: Our records show you have not made any payment to us // account has now been passed to our Home Collections Division for action. May involve local rep calling at your home address // If you prefer to make repayment arrangement, you must TELEPHONE us no later than [sometime later this week]. If no satisfactory arrangement is made with us or our local rep, you may leave us with lo alternative but to recommend client to commence legal/solicitors proceedings without further notice
                  JUL Sent Threat to Commence Litigation letter to Moorcroft (again)
                  JUL Letter from Moorcroft: Thank you for your letter requesting a copy of the credit agreement [I didn't send them one requesting this; this is how they've interpreted the threat to commence lit. letter.] Under the CCA 1974 you must provide £1 fee. Consequently if you submit the prescribed payment we will gladly process your request.
                  JUL Letter from Moorcroft: Our records show that you have failed to pay the £1.00 fee, therefore we have been unable to assist you in your request. Please forward the £1 fee payable to the above client etc.
                  AUG Letter from Moorcroft: We are agents of "Sainsbury Bank" [sic]. We have been asked to contact the a/c holder and we have been provided this address by a credit ref. agency. Please contact us to confirm the position [???] so that we can make the appropriate arrangements. However, if you believe that you are not the person responsible for the account, it is important that you contact us immediately, either by phone or letter.
                  AUG Letter from Moorcroft in Comic Sans font: IMPORTANT INFORMATION - POSSIBLE FURTHER ACTION. To prevent further debt recovery action, please send your payment proposal before a date three days hence or phone 0161 within the next seven days [durr?]. If you do not contact us following receipt of this letter we may have no alternative other than to recommend to our clients that they consider possible further debt recovery action against you, which may follow. Contact us now and we would be happy to discuss a payment programme that you can afford and maintain, In certain circumstances we may also be able to offer a substantial discount from the outstanding balance. Contact us now.
                  SEP Sent Telephone Harassment letter to Moorcroft
                  SEP LONG letter from Moorcroft: We confirm your a/c has been amended so that you receive no telephone contact from us whilst written contact is now [sic] maintained. // Our records do not appear to show any direct telephone contact has been achieved. In order for the relevant department to investigate the level of frequency and quantity of calls made we ask that you provide specific details such as times, dates, etc. [I've made a log of these.] // We can see from our records that you have requested a copy of the relevant CCA and a letter has been sent to you to request the relevant £1.00 fee and to date we do not appear to have received this payment. // In relation to the validity of this debt, it is our understanding that the Information Commissioner's Office has confirmed blah etc [as seen elsewhere, they quote the ICO which is utterly irrelevant. They may as well quote something that Zippy and Bungle from Rainbow have said while they're at it]. Blah more quotes re. UE from OFT website // With this information in mind we could confirm that our client has appointed us to assist with the recovery of this outstanding debt that they believe you are liable for. We would now ask that you provide any specific reason why you may not be liable for this debt and why our client should not be requesting payment. // You account is on hold for 14 days to allow you the opportunity to respond to this letter and our request.
                  SEP Sent follow-up Telephone Harassment letter to Moorcroft and another confirmation that I had paid the £1.00 fee in January
                  OCT Another long letter from Moorcroft: Blah guff about their calls not constituting harassment // We do not appear to have received the £1.00 fee [I didn't send it to them, I sent it to OC in Jan] // Blah, wrangle over the £1.00 [...] however, to assist in this matter I have requested that our client provides us with a copy of the CCA and statements of this account that support the liability suggested by our client. This request is being made in an effort to move this account forward. // I request that you confirm specifically why you believe you may not be liable for this debt that our client has requested is repaid. Your account is on hold for 28 days to allow you the opportunity to respond to this letter and our request, and for us to revert back to you with our client's response.
                  NOV Letter from Moorcroft: We have contacted our client; account remains on hold whilst client continues to investigate the matter.
                  DEC Letter from Moorcroft: Our client advises us that a copy of the agreement has been sent to you previously. They believe that this now settles matters and have instructed us to help them recover this debt for which they believe you remain liable. If you have further concerns I ask that you provide specific reasons why you may not be liable for this account. // Your account remains on hold for a further 14 days.
                  JAN Letter from Moorcroft We have had no further contact from you in relation to this account. Without any further contact from you the account can only be held for a further 28 days. After this time the account will be closed and returned to our client who will then decide on any future action. // We would therefore request that you contact us to let us know how you wish to proceed with this account in order for us to assist you further.
                  MAR Letter on Sainsbury's letterhead (but obviously from Wescot) As we haven't been able to agree a suitable repayment plan we've transferred your Sainsbury's Bank credit card to a debt collection agency, Wescot Credit Services Ltd. We've instructed Wescot to arrange collection of the outstanding amount. // Please contact Wescot a.s.a.p. to arrange to pay back the outstanding balance.
                  MAR Letter from Wescot Wescot Credit Services is a specialist DEBT COLLECTION organisation ... instructed by client to collect outstanding balance on their behalf. // You should follow the instructions and reply IMMEDIATELY. TO AVOID WESCOT TAKING FURTHER ACTION, YOU MUST 1) PAY THE DEBT IN FULL, OR 2) CONTACT US ON 0845 ...
                  MAR Sent Account sold in dispute letter to Wescot
                  MAR Letter from Wescot [Received one week after date on letter] FINAL NOTICE. Our latest enquiries have now confirmed that you are still resident at this address but we have not received a reply to our previous correspondence. // Unless you contact us to agree full repayment within the next ten days further collection activity will be taken to recover the full outstanding balance.
                  MAR Letter from Wescot: We acknowledge that you have raised a query on this account. // We will contact you again
                  APR Letter from Wescot: We will investigate the issues you have raised and contact you again in due course
                  MAY Letter from Wescot: We are not yet in a position to provide you with a final response
                  MAY Letter from Wescot: I was concerned to not the matter you have raised // I can confirm our client has advised your request under the CCA has been processed by them and the relevant documents have been issued to you directly. Your account has been placed on hold for 30 days for you to contact Wescot with your proposals for repayment
                  JUL Letter from Wescot: Thank you for your recent contact. We acknowledge that you have raised a request for documentation on this account.
                  JUL Letter from Wescot: Thank you for your patience; we can confirm that your account remains on hold whilst we await further information from our client.
                  AUG Letter from Wescot: We refer to your recent communication; please find enclosed copy agreement as requested. Payment is now required and can be made by debit card or by calling 0844 .... (They enclose a copy of a one-page application form with signature; no terms)
                  AUG Letter from Wescot: Reduced settlement offer // As a final attempt to avoid further action, our client has agreed that we can offer you a discount to settle your account. For a limited period only ... contact us in the next ten days or the offer will be withdrawn. Unless a suitable arrangement plan is reached within 10 days of this letter, further recovery action will be taken.
                  SEP Letter from Wescot: Opportunity to take control of your outstanding balance -- We understand that there might be many reasons why you have not responded to us in relation to this account. [...] Wescot are specialists in establishing repayment plans that best suit the needs of clients and their customers. [...] (a bunch more touchy-feely waffle) Contact us today where one of our dedicated operators will help you make a fresh start.
                  SEP Letter from Wescot: Doorstep collection visit. As we know of no genuine reason why you have failed to repay the outstanding balance, instructions will now be provided to Scotcall, a doorstep collection agency, to make an appointment with you to visit your home address. The purpose of this visit is to agree with you how you will repay this debt. You have a final opportunity to avoid referral to Scotcall by telephoning us urgently to agree a suitable method of repayment of the outstanding balance.
                  SEP Sent No doorstep visit letter to Wescot
                  OCT Letter from Wescot: Thank you for your recent contact; we acknowledge that you have raised a request for documentation. // We need to contact our client; may take several weeks; appreciate your patience.
                  OCT Letter from Wescot: Having contacted our client they have advised they will be unable to provide a copy of the original agreement due to the age of the account. The reconstituted agreement can be provided if you send your request in writing, quoting s77-79 of the 1974 CCA, and enclose the required £1. // To allow you to comply with our client's request, we have placed your account on hold for 21 days. Please keep us updated with the situation as your account may be returned to the collection process after the hold period expires.
                  OCT Letters from Sainsbury's Bank + Cabot in same envelope --- Account has been sold to Cabot Credit Management Group as of August (not October date of letter).
                  NOV Letter from Cabot We really want to help you. We understand that you may not be able to pay ... What could happen if you don't talk to us? -- Credit file may be affected // -- We may have to consider other ways to recover your debt // -- You will receive calls or letters until you contact us // -- The outstanding amount will remain due. // Have a great day and we look forward to talking to you very soon.
                  DEC Letter from Cabot We have previously explained that there are several options available ... // We do need to hear from you so that we can help you take positive steps towards agreeing an affordable repayment plan ... // If you're having any difficulties in being able to pay then it is important you tell us. // Your account may be reported on your credit file and may affect your ability to obtain credit ...// If we do not hear from you we will continue to contact you to help you resolve your outstanding balance.
                  JAN Letter from Cabot Our offer to you // We understand it can be difficult to clear your account in a short period of time ... // We believe that we understand debt and we wanted to share our thoughts with you. We will work with you to understand your financial situation. If we can find an opportunity for you to repay this account in the short term, then we will help you make that happen. Of course, we will ensure that all of your priority expenditure is up to date and anything you arrange with us is affordable and fair.// We own your account and are prepared to reduce the balance in order to help you become fee of this debt sooner. If you would like to take up our offer, then call us. If this is not suitable then you need to advise us of your proposal to clear your account. This account may affect your credit rating and ability to get credit in future. Ask our team if your account is registered.
                  FEB Letter from Cabot We have not heard from you // Despite repeated attempts to contact you, we have been unable to gain your commitment to repay your debt. The balance is due and we have advised you of several options that are available, all of which are in an attempt to help you be free of this debt. // You can manage your account by repaying an amount on a monthly basis or make a proposal etc. etc. // If we don't hear from you we will continue to contact you so that we can try and help you take steps towards being free of this debt.
                  APR Letter from Cabot We have tried to contact you on a number of occasions so that we can understand your financial situation and discuss a payment plan that is affordable and fair. // Because we have been unable to contact you, we are now going to instruct a company called Moorcroft to try to arrange a visit at your home, so that they can put you back in touch with us. // If you would prefer to speak to us directly then please call us in the next 7 days. // If you need financial help, the we can help point you towards organisations that provide free independent advice etc...
                  MAY Letter from Moorcroft Our client has informed us that despite numerous attempts they have been unable to contact you to discuss your account. They have therefore passed your account to us to act as a collection agent. // This may involve our local representative calling at your home address. Please call us if there is a particular date or time when you would prefer our representative to call. Our representative's normal hours of operation are [...]. Appointments outside these hours may be arranged on request. // The purpose of this visit will be to assist you in establishing contact with our head office team by telephone. The visit does not necessarily involve any recovery of monies or possessions and is purely to help reconnect you to our Head Office team to establish your circumstances and discuss a route forward. // If however you would prefer to agree a repayment arrangement direct with our Head Office team to avoid a visit or you believe there is an outstanding query on your account, you must telephone us no later than [date later this week]. // If you genuinely cannot afford to make any repayment, speaking with us may still help. We can guide you to free money advice services and our scheduled visit will still be cancelled. Please do contact us on the above number.
                  JUL Letter from Moorcroft Further to our recent correspondence, we have not heard from you to arrange a convenient date for our representative to call at your home. // We have therefore asked our local representative XX, ID no. XXXXX to attempt to call on [a day and time when there'll be nobody here]. The purpose of the visit will be to assist you in establishing contact with our Head Office team by telephone [ey??]. The visit does not involve any recovery of monies and is purely to help reconnect you to our Head Office team to establish your circumstances and discuss a route forward. // If you will not be available on this date or would like to arrange an alternative visit please call 0161 .... as soon as possible. Alternatively, if you would like to discuss your account directly with our Head Office team to avoid a visit or believe there is an outstanding query on your account, you must telephone us no later than [3 days before scheduled date of "visit"]. // If you are experiencing financial difficulty, speaking with us may still help. We can guide you to free money advice services and our scheduled visit will still be cancelled. // We strive to offer the highest standards of customer service from both our Head Office team and local representatives and we would welcome your views on the experience. We would therefore ask you to keep this letter until after XX visits you and complete the quick questionnaire overleaf.
                  AUG Letter from Moorcroft I am sorry that despite our attempts to contact you, no satisfactory agreement has been reached regarding the balance outstanding on this account. *Affordable Repayment Plan* To stop further debt recovery action (e.g. further letters and telephone calls), we are able to accept a repayment plan based upon your financial position that you can afford. As an illustration if you could afford to pay £50 per month, your balance would be cleared in [blank!] months. However we are happy to agree with you any sensible alternative (higher or lower than this figure) based on your specific circumstances. // Please be assured that we will always take your circumstances into account. We are aware that these are difficult times and when you are experiencing any financial difficulties it is important that we work together. Alternatively you may wish to seek advice from Step Change, CAB etc. // Please give this matter your immediate attention.
                  SEP Letter from Cabot Your account // We are the Cabot Credit Management Group and we own your account. Another company has been managing this for us, it has now been returned to us and we will be receiving your future payments. // Next steps // We would like to help you set up a Personal Payment Plan with us, which will see you free of this account at a rate that is affordable for you. We can talk to you about our different solutions and find the right one. We will take your situation into consideration and ensure whatever we agree is fair.
                  OCT Letter from Cabot + income/expenditure form Your account // We have been trying to contact you as you owe £XXXX on your account with us. // Our aim is to help you repay this debt but you need to take steps towards achieving this with us. // Our Customer Consultants will take the time to understand your circumstances and work with you, no matter what your situation is. We can set up a repayment plan that is affordable and one that you can maintain. // If you would prefer to send your offer of monthly repayments in the post then you can complete the enclosed budget form and send it back to us, along with the date you would like to make your payments. // What could happen We have a flexible approach to how much you owe us, which may allow you to clear your account more quickly. // Your credit file may be affected by the amount you owe. If you make regular payments towards your account, your credit file will show the outstanding balance reducing. Please call us on X and one of our Customer Consulants will be able to help you. We look forward to hearing from you.
                  NOV Letter from Cabot We are hoping a new approach could help you be free of this debt. You may have questions about who we are, how your account got to us, or what can be done to move forward with your account. We believe our team will be able to help. // If you contact us, our consultants can help you understand what is happening with your account and they are experts in setting up repayment plans that fit your individual circumstances. // Our goal is to understand what will work best for you and we will always ensure that what we agree is affordable for you. Talk to us.
                  DEC Letter from Cabot We help thousands of customers set up affordable repayment plans each month and we would like to do the same for you. An illustrative example [£1000 debt, £50 disposable monthly income; pay £41.67 a month for two years/£16.67 for five years]. These solutions are for illustrative purposes only. Any solution we can offer you will be based on what you tell us about your financial situation and any goals you may have to repay your account. Talk to us etc.
                  MAY Letter from Cabot External agency recovery notification -- This letter is to notify you that as we have not come to a mutual agreement to repay your account, Cabot will be passing your account out to Ruthbridge Limited, a debt collection agency.
                  MAY Letter from Ruthbridge (in same envelope) We have been instructed by Cabot Financial Europe Ltd who have passed to above debt to us for collection of the outstanding balance. As we have now been appointed their agent, you should now make sure you contact us and not Cabot. We are authorised to negotiate repayment of the debt with you. We would like to resolve this matter taking into account your current financial situation and working with you to agree repayment terms that are affordable with you. // We are able to discuss various repayment options, these include: // Repayment of the debt by realistic instalments over an agreed period, subject to your financial circumstances and periodic review. // Early settlement of the debt by payment of a single lump sum. Under these circumstances if may be possible to agree a significantly reduced figure to be accepted as a settlement on the account. // To avoid any further action it is important that you make contact with us on the telephone number above so we may work together to agree a solution in line with your personal circumstances. // You should be aware this debt will remain outstanding if ignored and we urge you to work with us to get the matter resolved as quickly as possible.
                  MAY Letter from Ruthbridge We have received no response to our previous attempts to establish contact with you regarding the unpaid defaulted account above. In an effort to amicably resolve the situation we are prepared to offer a discount to settle the balance of up to 70%, subject to criteria. The payment must be received in our offices no later than [less than a week's time!]. The payment would be accepted in settlement of your liability and will also ensure that you are not pursued for the remaining balance at any point in the future by us or our client. // If you fail to contact us to discuss this offer further, propose an alternative arrangement for the repayment of the balance or advise us of the reasons why you are unable to pay, we may return the account to our client who may look at alternative activity. // We would rather resolve this matter amicably and ask that you contact us to make this possible. If you are in a postion to take advantage of our settlement offer once your remittance has been received and cleared, our client where applicable will update the credit reference agencies to mark your account as partially settled.
                  NOV Letter from Cabot We have passed your account to Ruthbridge. As we've been unable to reach an agreement to repay your account, we have asked Ruthbridge to manage your account for us. // A letter from Ruthbridge is included with this letter; they will help you set up an affordable payment plan which will help you become free of your account.
                  NOV Letter from Ruthbridge We have been instructed by Cabot Financial Europe Ltd who have passed the above debt to us for collection of the outstanding balance. As we have been appointed as their agent you should now make sure you contact us and not Cabot. We are authorised to negotiate repayment of the debt with you. // We would like to resolve this matter taking into account your current financial situation and working with you to agree repayment terms that are affordable to you etc etc.
                  NOV Letter from Ruthbridge We have received no response to our previous attempts to establish contact with you regarding the unpaid defaulted account above. // In an effort to amicably resolve the situation we are prepared to offer a discount to settle the balance of up to 70%, subject to criteria. The payment must be received in our offices no later that ten days from now. // If you fail to contact us to discuss this offer further, propose an alternative arrangement for the repayment of the balance or advise us of th reasons why you are unable to pay, we may return the account to our client, who may look at alternative activity etc. etc.
                  Di

Comment

Pip's account no. 7
                    Sainsbury's

----> Snipped -- see post #7 for rest

APR Letter from Ruthbridge We write to confirm that we are able to give you a special discount on your outstanding balance. We are prepared to accept a full and final payment of ~£1500 in settlement of your obligation. However the payment needs to be made no later than 7 March 2020 for the offer to be valid. You can make a secure payment by visiting our website. // Please ensure that funds are affordable and make us aware of any outstanding priority bills you have have before making this payment. Once your remittance has been received and cleared, our client where applicable will update the credit reference agencies to mark your account as partially settled.
                    Another offer from Redbridge.

Diana Mayhew -- really sorry I didn't respond to your post from December. I seem to remember trying to log in back then over a few different days and not having any luck. January and Feb have been a bit mad, but I got this nice Rutbridge letter just today.

I dug out the assignment letter from October 2016 and the Sainsbury's letter says they have:
                    "assigned all of its respective rights, title and interest [...] to the Cabot Credit Management Group" [...]
                    "Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited is now the Data Controller of your Personal Data
                    "Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited has been appointed by the Cabot Credit Management Group to manage your account.
                    "

Then in the Cabot letter that came in the same envelope, on an enclosed sheet, separate from the letter, it says:
                    "Cabot Financial (UK) Limited has acquired your account and is now the legal owner.
                    This letter is a notice of assignment and it is important you keep this letter at all times.
                    Cabot Financial (UK) Limited has appointed Cabot Credit Management Group Limited to act on its behalf in relation to all of its accounts purchased.
                    Cabot Credit Management Group Limited is authorised and regulated by the FCA and has appointed Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited, Hillesden Securities Limited t/a dlc, Apex Credit Management Limited and Midland Credit Management India Private Limited as appointed representatives. You will be provided with reasonable notice as to which firm in our Group is administering your account.

Cabot Credit Management Group Limited is the data controller of your data.

Purposely contradictory and confusing!

Comment

• I see they are now offering a huge discount. As Di says it seems to be statute barred so unless they try something silly like issue a letter of claim I would totally ignore what they send.

I would suggest they also have a problem, if Sainsbury said it was assigned to Cabot Credit Management Group but cabot Uk say they own it how did it get from A to B to C if you see what I mean. There seems to be an assignment missing

Comment

Diana Mayhew -- really sorry I didn't respond to your post from December. I seem to remember trying to log in back then over a few different days and not having any luck. January and Feb have been a bit mad, but I got this nice Rutbridge letter just today.

I dug out the assignment letter from October 2016 and the Sainsbury's letter says they have:
                        "assigned all of its respective rights, title and interest [...] to the Cabot Credit Management Group" [...]
                        "Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited is now the Data Controller of your Personal Data
                        "Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited has been appointed by the Cabot Credit Management Group to manage your account.
                        "

Then in the Cabot letter that came in the same envelope, on an enclosed sheet, separate from the letter, it says:
                        "Cabot Financial (UK) Limited has acquired your account and is now the legal owner.
                        This letter is a notice of assignment and it is important you keep this letter at all times.
                        Cabot Financial (UK) Limited has appointed Cabot Credit Management Group Limited to act on its behalf in relation to all of its accounts purchased.
                        Cabot Credit Management Group Limited is authorised and regulated by the FCA and has appointed Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited, Hillesden Securities Limited t/a dlc, Apex Credit Management Limited and Midland Credit Management India Private Limited as appointed representatives. You will be provided with reasonable notice as to which firm in our Group is administering your account.

Cabot Credit Management Group Limited is the data controller of your data.

Purposely contradictory and confusing!

Indeed.

I also note that Ruthbridge say they will update your CRA file to show 'partially settled' if you pay this Statute Barred debt.

Since this debt was last paid and defaulted in 2011 (i.e. nine years ago) the account would no longer show on your CRA files so their update would not be possible however tempted you may be

Di

Comment

Pip's account no. 7
                          Sainsbury's

---snipped -- see post #7 for rest

APR Letter from Ruthbridge We write to confirm that we are able to give you a special discount on your outstanding balance. We are prepared to accept a full and final payment of ~£1500 in settlement of your obligation. However the payment needs to be made no later than 7 March 2020 for the offer to be valid. You can make a secure payment by visiting our website. // Please ensure that funds are affordable and make us aware of any outstanding priority bills you have have before making this payment. Once your remittance has been received and cleared, our client where applicable will update the credit reference agencies to mark your account as partially settled.
                          OCT Combined letter from Cabot and Global Debt Recovery Ltd Cabot: As we've been unable to reach an agreement to pay your account, we've asked Global Debt Recovery Ltd to manage your account for us. // Global: We've been appointed by Cabot.
                          NOV Letter from Global Debt Recovery Ltd Please contact us so that we may assist you in the resolution of your account [...]. If no response is received within 14 days, your account will be escalated to our collections department.
                          Definitely SB!
                          Happy to ignore. Wonder if there's a point at which letters about a statue-barred account need a reply? I'm guessing if it gets towards actual litigation, an actual human might need to look at the paperwork at their end?
                          I won't be kept awake worrying though ..!

Comment

• Cabot have my Nationwide account, they don't check paperwork, It was SB when they took it over, but I like to get some mail every now and again.

Comment

• Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
                              Cabot have my Nationwide account, they don't check paperwork, It was SB when they took it over, but I like to get some mail every now and again.
                              Here's a question: If an account is statute barred, are there any risks if you move address? Can they record you as "gone away" or anything like that which might be flagged on a credit report? I'm guessing that an SB debt can't reappear on your report at a later date...?

Comment

• If the account was defaulter and marked as so on your creditfile, then once off your file, it can't suddenly reappear. plus I don't think they mark the credit file as Gone away, just their own file

saying that, an old Barclaycard one did, but I contacted Barclays to ask how they could report a 10 year old, SB, debt, as up to date,they couldn't even find it on the system, so have no idea where it appeared from.
                                Letter of apology and £150 compensation.

Comment

Working...
                                X