GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Will applying for Vanquis have any other effects? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will applying for Vanquis have any other effects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will applying for Vanquis have any other effects?

Well done
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by downnotout View Post
      Just thought I would add, I have a Vanquis card with 39% APR, Just read this and then applied for a Cap1 card with 0.5% cashback got accepted and the website says card will be with me in a week the APR is 34% so I will only buy a pack of fags a month on the vanquis, and start buying my petrol on cap1
      nice one! Now i have both, i alternate fuel payments on both. They are keen for you to use it - notice all the texts with available balance?!

I note that Cap1 say existing customers can apply for their other cards after six months. Their World Card is good for spending outside the UK. I wonder if they would credit check you, or process internally
      Either way, in six months i've hit 3 years on the last default so should be OK
      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Crappy1 - don't apply to get a new card unless you pay more than the minimum now - if you pay in full and/or greater than the minimum you'll have a better chance of success.

I would wait 7 months at least so that their systems can record the 6 month data (which updates in month 7)....

I wouldn't think you'll get accepted for the premium cards until you have a much greater history and/or account conduct with them.

Stick to the credit builder cards, that is why they offer them. If you're on the bog standard one now (with a shitty limit) then you need to move up gradually by next applying for another credit builder one - see this ---> Progress Credit Card | Shrink your credit card interest rates to 17.9% p.a. variable | Capital One

Learn to walk before you run!

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          Crappy1 - don't apply to get a new card unless you pay more than the minimum now - if you pay in full and/or greater than the minimum you'll have a better chance of success.
          I pay the balance off in full every month (don't spend that much on them) on both Granite and Cap1

I would wait 7 months at least so that their systems can record the 6 month data (which updates in month 7)....
          Good call!

I wouldn't think you'll get accepted for the premium cards until you have a much greater history and/or account conduct with them.
          To be honest mate, i'm trying to save (easier said than done!) as much as i can and now in the mind frame of "save up to buy something, credit is for emergency only; i.e washing machine goes pop and i need one now"
          I am in no hurry to apply for "credit" per se, although do want to build my "credit rating" back up so will be following your wise words closely
          When you say "greater history" are we talking about beyond the 3 years of being a good boy, a full six years, good history with them, or all of that?!

Stick to the credit builder cards, that is why they offer them. If you're on the bog standard one now (with a shitty limit) then you need to move up gradually by next applying for another credit builder one - see this ---> Progress Credit Card | Shrink your credit card interest rates to 17.9% p.a. variable | Capital One

Will do mate. I know the credit limit is relevant for lending information, so i am hoping the fact i don't even touch 10% of the limits (Granite and Cap1) and pay in full each month is a brownie point somewhere.

Learn to walk before you run!
          Correction, if i may: Learn AAD before you run!
          Last edited by SA Gold; 14 June 2013, 07:57.
          When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by missy View Post
            I pay the balance off in full every month (don't spend that much on them) on both Granite and Cap1
            That's not always best, I did say pay off more than the minimum - not pay in full.

Paying in full is not actually a good thing to creditors, bet you never expected that! it shows no risk level and pretty much negates any positives you build up from paying monthly. I tend to say set up a DD for the minimum payment then each month after your payment has been paid via DD, simply pay extra to lower the balance - this works better and also reports at the CRA that you paid MORE than the required amount. Paying in full shows the CRA that the balance is £0 - so other people searching you may think it is a dormant account and not being used.

Comment

When you say "greater history" are we talking about beyond the 3 years of being a good boy, a full six years, good history with them, or all of that?!
              I mean not sub-prime card history. So a bank account OD, a mobile phone, a credit card (sub prime or not) all help your general profile score.

You however want to get off sub-prime and into prime so if I was you the next card I would go for would be from my bank. OR at least a Creation card like I suggested the other day on another thread (wasn't you but sure you seen it)....

--> 0% Balance Transfer - allaboutFORUMS

Creation is the next step to prime, plus you get £1000 limits upwards usually (as new customer) with frequent increments to your limit. It's a better card to get than Crappy1 - put it that way.

I would apply there sooner than later so that the search won't affect you too much in a few months.

Comment

That's not always best, I did say pay off more than the minimum - not pay in full.

Paying in full is not actually a good thing to creditors, bet you never expected that! it shows no risk level and pretty much negates any positives you build up from paying monthly. I tend to say set up a DD for the minimum payment then each month after your payment has been paid via DD, simply pay extra to lower the balance - this works better and also reports at the CRA that you paid MORE than the required amount. Paying in full shows the CRA that the balance is £0 - so other people searching you may think it is a dormant account and not being used.

Ah, right, i see Nid. I'm actually doing that (as a result of your advice in another thread ) with a Mastercard which i've kept running sweet for about 6 years now. Usually no more than about £400 on it (limit 2K). DD pays the minimum and then if i get any surplus money that month - pay via debit card, sometimes £20, £30.
                Reason i haven't done it with Granite and Cap1 is due to the humongous interest rates, although i guess if there is only ever a small balance on it won't equate to much anyway.

Edit: Just reading post #36; we were typing at the same time
                Last edited by SA Gold; 14 June 2013, 08:23.

Comment

I mean not sub-prime card history. So a bank account OD, a mobile phone, a credit card (sub prime or not) all help your general profile score.
                  Got ya.
                  I have an OD with Lloyds which i dip in too from time to time.
                  O2 contract paid on the dot since 2009 (well it was a gift for the GF who took over the DD )
                  Prime Mastercard with good history.

You however want to get off sub-prime and into prime so if I was you the next card I would go for would be from my bank. OR at least a Creation card like I suggested the other day on another thread (wasn't you but sure you seen it)....

--> 0% Balance Transfer - allaboutFORUMS

Creation is the next step to prime, plus you get £1000 limits upwards usually (as new customer) with frequent increments to your limit. It's a better card to get than Crappy1 - put it that way.

I would apply there sooner than later so that the search won't affect you too much in a few months.
                  I did indeed see and read that thread with interest (and posted too ).
                  Plan is to apply for a "bank credit card" in the new year (last default entry will be 3 years this December) - if you were me, would you apply for one with my current bank (Lloyds) or go straight to a decent one i can transfer the balance of current Mastercard at 0% - like the ones Halifax are currently doing?

Comment

Ah, right, i see Nid. I'm actually doing that (as a result of your advice in another thread ) with a Mastercard which i've kept running sweet for about 6 years now. Usually no more than about £400 on it (limit 2K). DD pays the minimum and then if i get any surplus money that month - pay via debit card, sometimes £20, £30.
                    Reason i haven't done it with Granite and Cap1 is due to the humongous interest rates, although i guess if there is only ever a small balance on it won't equate to much anyway.
                    Well the way to beat the shitty sub-prime interest is to let the DD go out at minimum level then the day after go in and pay online the remainder - you know with both Crappy1 & Vanquis you can pay online?

Crappy1 -- Log in and look at the base (see image below - highlighted blue)
                    Vanquis -- Login

Click image for larger version

Name:	dd.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1394478

Comment

if you were me, would you apply for one with my current bank (Lloyds) or go straight to a decent one i can transfer the balance of current Mastercard at 0% - like the ones Halifax are currently doing?
                      I would go and apply to creation this week if it were me....

I know of people who get accepted with current defaults 2+ years old - but not guaranteed.....

Comment

Based on my screen print above, you can see I paid £5.91 as last payment - this was the trailing balance after the £5 DD went out (leaving £0).

That's how I do it - I only bought a Maccy Dee at £10 lol

Comment

Well the way to beat the shitty sub-prime interest is to let the DD go out at minimum level then the day after go in and pay online the remainder - you know with both Crappy1 & Vanquis you can pay online?

Crappy1 -- Log in and look at the base (see image below - highlighted blue)
                          Vanquis -- Login
                          DD's for both changed to minimum, Google calendar set to remind me to log in and pay extra via debit card

I would go and apply to creation this week if it were me....

I know of people who get accepted with current defaults 2+ years old - but not guaranteed.....
                          I shall do mate, and report back with the outcome.
                          Thanks, you are a real Gem and fountain of knowledge on such things
                          Based on my screen print above, you can see I paid £5.91 as last payment - this was the trailing balance after the £5 DD went out (leaving £0).

That's how I do it - I only bought a Maccy Dee at £10 lol
                          That's how much maccy dee's i need to fill me up too! I think its about 2 big macs and 2 chips normally.
                          Last edited by SA Gold; 14 June 2013, 08:47.

Comment

DD's for both changed to minimum, Google calendar set to remind me to log in and pay extra via debit card

I shall do mate, and report back with the outcome.
                            Thanks, you are a real Gem and fountain of knowledge on such things

That's how much maccy dee's i need to fill me up too! I think its about 2 big macs and 2 chips normally.
                            I have some chips and a wrap (£3) - my daughter/mates add to it

regards creation, don't worry if they knock you back, just diary 6 months and reapply then - you should be fine (if they do decline you now) - it should be instant anyway

Comment

I have some chips and a wrap (£3) - my daughter/mates add to it
                              ah know that feeling!

regards creation, don't worry if they knock you back, just diary 6 months and reapply then - you should be fine (if they do decline you now) - it should be instant anyway
                              See attached mate. Fingers crossed, i guess its gone for human review?
                              Attached Files

Comment

ah know that feeling!

See attached mate. Fingers crossed, i guess its gone for human review?
                                Good luck mate - that has gone to manual review, nothing new there - happens a lot.

Give them a call after 3pm and chase it - if accepted they'll tell you there and then

Or wait if you hate being rejected on the phone (like me) - assuming it is a rejection of course. If it is don't worry, it's all part of the process - sometimes a second/third application stands you in better stead for approval

Comment

Working...
                                X