GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Should I go bankrupt? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I go bankrupt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
    Yes, they can. It is a legal position.

If the "preference" occurred within 6 months prior to the bankruptcy, or 2 years if you pay off an "associate" (including relatives).
    John's case may be considered a transaction at undervalue though.

In which they can go back 5 years rather than 2.

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
    Do you think an ex-wife would count as a "preference" in the eyes of the OR
    If anything, I think it might be a transaction under value?

I was responding to Talays different question on preferences previously.

TUVs are discussed here:

TRANSACTIONS AT AN UNDERVALUE
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Re: Should I go bankrupt?

TThere is something encouraging in that info about not 'restoring the position' (ie taking back the money from Jon's mum or ex-wife) if it would result in hardship for the recipient perhaps making them homeless
      There is also the practical aspect of the OR/trustee having to instruct external solicitors in any recovery.

In even straight forward cases, that usually means that unless the sum to be recovered is greater than £5,000, then it just aint worth their while bothering
      with.

At £7.5K, this is above that limit. But taking into account other issues, not withstanding whether it's actually a TUV in the first place, I would be amazed if they went further than just asking. Cannot imagine them taking formal legal action.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
        John's case may be considered a transaction at undervalue though.

In which they can go back 5 years rather than 2.

If anything, I think it might be a transaction under value?
        I've always thought becoming a wife was a *transaction under value*

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
          It's ironic that some people could be "too poor to go bankrupt" when they haven't got the money to pay the OR fee...
          This may seem like a wild card but I've had success in the past with getting fees paid by this charity for people to go BR who can't afford the cost. It's a grant not a loan and doesn't have to be paid back ever. I'll check out some more resources in the next couple of days

http://www.uutf.org.uk/files/UUTF%20...2007%20(3).pdf

Believe it or not British Gas will provide grants to help people go BR too in some cases:

http://www.britishgasenergytrust.org...o-applications

In fact most of the big energy companies have associated charities like EDF:

http://www.edfenergytrust.org.uk/hel...o-applications

Before anyone gets the wrong idea that these big hitters are fuzzy wuzzy nice people just remember that donations to charity are tax deductable so it makes sound business sense to them

Comment

Thank you PlanB

Silly question but do you need to be a customer of the companies, as i am with EON and they do not seem to do anything.

Comment

you dont jon no....

they sometimes though will ask if the paperwork can be filled in by a debt advisory CAB etc

its a little hit & miss but very much worth a shot
              Last edited by philnicandamy; 10 June 2012, 19:53.

Comment

Well I am off to CAB tomorrow to discuss it all. Knowing the lot where I live I will know more than them!

Comment

Hi
                  Just been eading FF's story. What is an IPA? he said he had BR for a year then IPA for 3?

Comment

Have a read here Jon xx

Income Payment Agreements/Orders.
                    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Forgot this link too:-

Income Payment Agreements & Orders
                      "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Thanks
                        Seems I still have a lot to learn
                        There was me thinking that it would all be over in a year but I see it goes on for 3.

Might have to have a rethink but lets wait and see what CAB say tomorrow.

Comment

Well CAB were about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.
                          I have an appointment in Coalville of all places on 17th July (Hinckley couldn't do one till August) with the debt advisor. As some of you know 16th July is another important day for me.

Rizzle, could you explain what a transaction at undervalue is, the house was sold on the open market for the best price I could get at the time and in line (although the bottom end) of the estate agents valuation. I have no connection with the purchaser.

Also can someone clarify that i would be liable to be paying monety towards the BR for a total of 3 years (assuming I get a job etc) and that within those three years were i to come into some money they would take some of it.

Also looking at the links that PlanB kindly put up, they all need support from some form of money advisor, am I going to have to wait for CAB or is there another avenue?

P.S. Masses of lovely post today,I had to open it all just to check there was nothing for my "normal life" but it is all in a pile waiting for another time, another day if ever. Shame there was no SD in there lol

P.P.S One of them offered me a discount so i asked Dx and he said it must be UE
                          Last edited by jon1965; 11 June 2012, 11:11.

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                            Well CAB were about as much use as a chocolate tea pot. I have an appointment in Coalville of all places on 17th July (Hinckley couldn't do one till August) with the debt advisor. As some of you know 16th July is another important day for me.

Also looking at the links that PlanB kindly put up, they all need support from some form of money advisor, am I going to have to wait for CAB or is there another avenue?

I believe you may go to Birmingham from time to time so try this Law Centre which gives free advice on debt and could refer you for charity funding for BR

http://www.birminghamlawcentre.org.uk/aboutus/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                              In the case above, would it be crucial that the defendant is bankrupt BEFORE appearing in court?
                              I'm not a qualified lawyer but I would think that the optimum time would be to arrive at any final hearing as a BR so it doesn't look like a last minute avoidance strategy This could be months and months away or indeed never

Comment

I believe you may go to Birmingham from time to time so try this Law Centre which gives free advice on debt and could refer you for charity funding for BR

http://www.birminghamlawcentre.org.uk/aboutus/index.htm
                                I've spoken to the Birmingham Law Centre and they have appointments available for debt issues next week so call them pronto to book a slot

Also try the Birmingham Legal Advice Centre which is part of the LawWorks network of clinics (I work in one in London) and they're dead good too

http://www.lawworksclinics.org.uk/bhamlac/index.php

Sorry to hear the CAB were useless this morning. It's not really their fault it's all about this rotten Government's austerity cuts

Comment

Working...
                                X