GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Should I go bankrupt? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I go bankrupt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should I go bankrupt?

Well already had offers of that but the more the merrier. You really are one sick and twisted individual CC lol
    Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
    Ideas such as whether PlanB will bake you a cake with a hacksaw inside?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
      Ideas such as whether PlanB will bake you a cake with a hacksaw inside?
      I'll check Delia Smith's website to see whether this may be an option

Comment

That would be St Delia

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
          That would be St Delia
          Yep that's the one. More well known for getting drunk and singing on the pitch at Norwich City Football Club (which she owns) than increasing the sale of eggs in the UK by 54 million after her recipe for omelettes was shown on BBC TV. But I expect none of this information really helps you with your BR questions
          Last edited by PlanB; 23 March 2012, 00:15.

Comment

No but it's the thought that counts .

Comment

Hi boys and girls
              This bit isn't really about BR but I didn't know where to put it. As I said in my original post , there was the possibility of a serious court case....now it is a reality. If, and I guess it is a big IF, the worst comes to the worst I could have to go a visiting for some time ...is it likely that my creditors will make me BR or just wait till I am back in the real world?
              Mind you it might never happen, I am just being glass 3/4 empty (sorry PlanB)
              I've been holding my breath for over two months to see where this is going

In the meantime this site has helped another poster stay out of what was almost certainly going to be a long time in prison by guiding her to www.sharp-uk.org/advice/write-to-the-judge SHARP is a brilliant resource of help before, during and after serious court cases. You can also ring them on 01743 245 365. She had reluctantly pleaded guilty (sound advice from her barrister) to a £56k benefits fraud but walked free from court on Friday, and even got engaged on the way home

Have a read of her thread because it proves that even when the chips are down and you're staring at a long stretch in prison there are still things that can be done to keep people free as a bird. It could work for you too

http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4039

Don't you just love Happy Ever Afters

Comment

I've been thinking I do that sometimes

Courts have the power to make a Confiscation Order against anyone who is perceived to have made a profit from crime in an attempt to claw back the proceeds. If the money has been subsequently spent the court can chase any assets available at the time or acquired in the future. But if the accused is bankrupt at the time of the hearing then it would be pointless for the court to make such an order

Something for you to think about too

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                  It's ironic that some people could be "too poor to go bankrupt" when they haven't got the money to pay the OR fee...
                  As I understand it people on benefits pay a reduced fee. Going BR can sometimes be a wise investment even if the money to do it is borrowed because Confiscation Orders are draconian and have a longer shelf-life than a CCJ and I believe they don't ever become SB because they relate to criminal proceedings

If the accused/offender has no current assets the court can make a Nominal Order of £1. This means that "if in the future should the defendant come into new assets, all that remains is for the court to seek to increase the Nominal Order to the value of the criminal benefit in the proceedings to which the defendant has already been convicted (or possibly pleaded guilty)."

Jon is due to inherit from a family trust and unless I'm wrong that money could be vulnerable to the long arm of the law should the worst case scenario come about. Let's hope not But I see nothing wrong in getting organised upfront

http://www.cps.gov.uk/westmidlands/c...eeds_of_crime/

Nothing wrong in future proofing
                  Last edited by PlanB; 9 June 2012, 12:18. Reason: added link :)

Comment

Hi all and thanks for your help so far.
                    I am about to investigate the UE route but a question on BR would be about the recent sale of my house.
                    The house was bought in 1990 just prior to my marraige but in my name only. It was however bought to be our marital home. After I left my wife continued to live there with DWP paying some of the mortgage and I paid the rest. It was always agreed that it was our house with equal interest.
                    During the sale my mum paid for some work, skip hire, man with van etc which was repaid out of the sale proceeds and I gave my wife (still married although apart for 10 years) 7.5K . If i do go BR could the OR chase either her or my mum for the money?
                    I am still on a fact finding exercise atm prior to decisions
                    Ta
                    Jon
                    One more thing for your fact finding exercise. You've said in another post that the sale of your house completed on 9th December 2011. If that date was before these legal proceedings were started then I presume the proceeds should be ok since the transaction was all part of seperating from your wife. But why not get proper legal advice on whether the proceeds of that sale (even if they have already been distributed) are safe and sound if the sale was completed after the case started since you've not yet begun divorce proceedings to support your explantion for the sale. Like you say this is simply fact finding and you will probably never need to rely on the answers you get given

Comment

Its always better to be vastly over-prepared than to be under prepared.

I always plan for the absolute worst. that way i can only be ready for it.
                      I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Talay View Post
                        Is that a legal position ? Say you owe me £5000 and you pay me back when you have other debts which you do not repay and then you go bankrupt, are you saying that the official receiver can come and ask me to give him back the £5000 you gave me ?
                        Yes, they can. It is a legal position.

If the "preference" occurred within 6 months prior to the bankruptcy, or 2 years if you pay off an "associate" (including relatives).

PREFERENCES

Insolvency Act 1986

If necessary, the OT/trustee can apply to the court for an order to return the position to what it was before the preference was made. As such, may be an order requiring to to repay it.
                        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
                          Yes, they can. It is a legal position.

If the "preference" occurred within 6 months prior to the bankruptcy, or 2 years if you pay off an "associate" (including relatives).

PREFERENCES

Insolvency Act 1986

If necessary, the OT/trustee can apply to the court for an order to return the position to what it was before the preference was made. As such, may be an order requiring to to repay it.
                          Thank you Rizzle that's really interesting

Do you think an ex-wife would count as a "preference" in the eyes of the OR I wonder whether her legal rights under Family Law would come first. There is something encouraging in that info about not 'restoring the position' (ie taking back the money from Jon's mum or ex-wife) if it would result in hardship for the recipient perhaps making them homeless
                          Last edited by PlanB; 9 June 2012, 14:14.

Comment

Hi
                            I think , and a solicitor did tell me, that she is entitled to half the procedes of the house as it was bought to be our home and she contributed to the running of the house in other ways than actually physically paying the mortgage. ii.e my salary paid mortgage and bills, her money everything else.

Really is all very confusing and not many people know that much about BR, certainly not NDL (they have a leaflet but they don't know the details)

Another thought, and please no one be offended, I feel that everyone is talking about when I am found guilty not IF. It must be a huge IF as I have not done what they say I have. Ok yes I did things wrong and the company know that and sacked me for it, but to say I profitted from anything is not true.
                            So I would have thought to have a confiscation order they would need to show that I had the money and spent it which I would hope (if there is any justice in this world ) is impossible.
                            The trust fund which sounds very grand is not really that , it is inheritance planning and as things stand three things need to happen
                            1) I don't piss my mum off enough to be disinherited
                            2) She dies (ok i know that will happen but I am seriously hoping not for a very long time)
                            3) The trustees of the fund (my two sisters) say I can have the money

So I do not think it will ever actually be my money as such if it doesn't have to be

The major questions are the what ifs should I go BR, and I do not want my (ex) to suffer...although we have never divorced and the house was only sold because she has moved into assisted living (council OAP bungalow) and I didn'y want to live there, nor could I afford to.

Comment

Hi

Another thought, and please no one be offended, I feel that everyone is talking about when I am found guilty not IF. It must be a huge IF as I have not done what they say I have. Ok yes I did things wrong and the company know that and sacked me for it, but to say I profitted from anything is not true.
                              Oh please don't misunderstand me - I wasn't presuming that you would be found guilty at all, and I'm dreadfully sorry if it came across like that Your thread is called "Shall I go bankrupt" and it seemed a good idea to research the pros and cons in your particular circumstances. My sincere apologies if I appeared judgmental because that is not my style Perhaps it's a good idea to see this as an exercise in potential damage limitation and not a prediction of something which should not happen

One good thread on BR was started by Fiscalfool and he updates it from time to time. I think he's at the halfway mark now and all good

http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...ead.php?t=3683

Comment

I know Plan B. I never thought you were being judgemental, I just wanted to make my position and my innocence clear on the net for all to see. However i can see why you said what you did, there are always what ifs and I am the worlds worst at asking all those questions.

Comment

Working...
                                X