GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Should I go bankrupt? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I go bankrupt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should I go bankrupt?

Hi all and thanks for your help so far.
    I am about to investigate the UE route but a question on BR would be about the recent sale of my house.
    The house was bought in 1990 just prior to my marraige but in my name only. It was however bought to be our marital home. After I left my wife continued to live there with DWP paying some of the mortgage and I paid the rest. It was always agreed that it was our house with equal interest.
    During the sale my mum paid for some work, skip hire, man with van etc which was repaid out of the sale proceeds and I gave my wife (still married although apart for 10 years) 7.5K . If i do go BR could the OR chase either her or my mum for the money?
    I am still on a fact finding exercise atm prior to decisions
    Ta
    Jon

Comment

Dont think so, if they ask, your mother was a creditor because she paid for the workman for you.

You could also say that the money you paid your wife was to repay money she lent you.

Anyone you owed or owe money to is a creditor.

When i went BR, my mother had lent me thousands, she ended up being my biggest creditor, i listed her in my BR.
      Last edited by SXGuy; 29 February 2012, 14:55.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
        Hi all and thanks for your help so far.
        I am about to investigate the UE route but a question on BR would be about the recent sale of my house.
        The house was bought in 1990 just prior to my marraige but in my name only. It was however bought to be our marital home. After I left my wife continued to live there with DWP paying some of the mortgage and I paid the rest. It was always agreed that it was our house with equal interest.
        During the sale my mum paid for some work, skip hire, man with van etc which was repaid out of the sale proceeds and I gave my wife (still married although apart for 10 years) 7.5K . If i do go BR could the OR chase either her or my mum for the money?
        I am still on a fact finding exercise atm prior to decisions
        Ta
        Jon
        Jon, when did you sell your house?
        "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Last Dec, sale completed 9.12.2011

Comment

Last Dec, sale completed 9.12.2011
            Now it really depends on when you go BR as the OR may see it as favouring one creditor over another especially if you were insolvent at the time of paying your Mum and your Ex. Then the OR would ask for money back. Just so you are aware this could be the case.

IF...x

Comment

IF raises a good point, and i was indeed asked that very question.

"Why did you repay some debts over others"

My reply? it only came to my attention that i was insolvent after the fact, and had all intentions to pay each other creditor.

Now they accepted that answer, but my circumstances were very different to your own, so dont take what i say as your answer.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
                Now it really depends on when you go BR as the OR may see it as favouring one creditor over another especially if you were insolvent at the time of paying your Mum and your Ex. Then the OR would ask for money back. Just so you are aware this could be the case.

IF...x

the OR can ask for monies back but if they dont have the cash then theres not much they can really do..but IF is correct it could look like favoring

Comment

Originally posted by philnicandamy View Post
                  the OR can ask for monies back but if they dont have the cash then theres not much they can really do..but IF is correct it could look like favoring
                  Is that a legal position ? Say you owe me £5000 and you pay me back when you have other debts which you do not repay and then you go bankrupt, are you saying that the official receiver can come and ask me to give him back the £5000 you gave me ?

Not my business that you've gone bankrupt is it ?

Comment

The OR is going to want to know why, you favoured one debtor over another, the point is, the OR is trying to establish whether you believed you were insolvent at that time.

They can ask for it back, its unlikely they would get it. The OR really didnt care when he asked the question, it was more a formality.

Whats he gonna do? refuse BR? its already been granted by the judge at that point.

Comment

Sorry, I was thinking that the OR was going to ask the party repaid for the money back. No-one is going to give back what they were owed in order to stand in line in BR and get next to nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Talay View Post
                        Is that a legal position ? Say you owe me £5000 and you pay me back when you have other debts which you do not repay and then you go bankrupt, are you saying that the official receiver can come and ask me to give him back the £5000 you gave me ?

Not my business that you've gone bankrupt is it ?
                        Yes they can ask you for the money back as Phil said they are unlikely to get it but the person going BR may get a BRO/BRU.
                        What conduct may lead to a BRO/BRU?
                        When deciding whether to make a BRO/BRU the court and the official receiver may take into account the individual’s conduct before and after the making of the bankruptcy order.
                        Below are some examples of dishonest or blameworthy conduct that could lead to a BRO/BRU. The list is not exhaustive, so any behaviour that the official receiver considers to be suspect may be the subject of a BRO application and should be investigated.
                        • Failing to keep or produce records which would explain a loss of money or property.
                        • Giving away assets or selling them at less than their value.
                        • Deliberately paying off some creditors in preference to others.
                        • Failing to supply goods or services which have been paid for (taking deposits).
                        • Carrying on a business when you knew or ought to have known you could not pay your debts (trading with knowledge of insolvency).
                        • Incurring debts which you knew you had no reasonable chance of repaying.
                        • Gambling or making rash speculations or being unreasonably extravagant.
                        • Causing your debts to increase by neglecting your business affairs.
                        • Behaving fraudulently, e.g. making a false claim to obtain credit.
                        • Not co-operating with the official receiver or trustee.

Bankruptcy Restriction Undertakings / Orders.

Comment

Hi boys and girls
                          This bit isn't really about BR but I didn't know where to put it. As I said in my original post , there was the possibility of a serious court case....now it is a reality. If, and I guess it is a big IF, the worst comes to the worst I could have to go a visiting for some time ...is it likely that my creditors will make me BR or just wait till I am back in the real world?
                          Mind you it might never happen, I am just being glass 3/4 empty (sorry PlanB)

Comment

Try and look at the practicalities here first. A quick check of the prison service website www.prisonservice.gov.uk confirms that you would be permitted to receive an unlimited amount of incoming post during your stay. What you want to avoid is court papers etc being served to your 'outside' address which you don't get to see and deal with. Statutory Demands (the formality before bankruptcy) are often hand delivered so they may slip through the net of a Royal Mail redirect service.

What I hope is that someone will tell you whether it's wise to disappear for the duration, or whether you should inform your creditors where you will be for a short time and hope they don't do anything sneaky behind your back

Niddy is setting up an excellant mail 'depot' service where post from creditors can be sent to his centre and then scanned and sent on to you by email so you would continue to know what is going on with your creditors without them knowing exactly where you are. In some circumstances offenders (sorry for that dreadful word) are allowed to access email, but some are not.

Hey, this is all speculation and I hope you've taken quality legal advice on preventing you having to spend time away from this site

Comment

Thanks planb. It is so new I am only seeing the solicitor tomorow. To be honest I have no idea where it will lead Just want to say thank you for being so non judgemental.
                              Ideas pop into my head and I want to find out the answer NOW. You know what I mean

Comment

Ideas pop into my head and I want to find out the answer NOW. You know what I mean
                                Ideas such as whether PlanB will bake you a cake with a hacksaw inside?

Comment

Working...
                                X