GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Gym membership. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gym membership.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gym membership.

Just a mini rant...

I need to lose weight and get fit, but I need to do it safely taking into account my health problems. Which means joining a gym, where there'll be personal trainers on hand to supervise and advise me.

But NONE of them advertise their prices! I went into Esporta today and the receptionist couldn't even give me a rough idea of how much it costs. I apparantly have to speak to someone in the membership team. Looking online there's no prices either.

So in order to compare different places, I need to visit them all and meet up with someone intent on the hard sell.

At least it's something that I'm fairly reluctant about doing so wont be talked into signing an expensive contract with extras I'll never need. If it were chocolate shops that insisted on something like that, I'd be even fatter, and skinter, than I am now!

Re: Gym membership.

hi Ames, before you sign up with somewhere have a word with your GP. like you, i have health issues but want to get fitter. my GP referred me to a gym for a 14 week period at reduced rates, £1.50 per gym session. a trainer has set me up with a plan after taking a full medical history and current medications.

if i'm using the gym and it's helping then i'll think about joining after the 14 weeks. it's good though, i've got to keep a diary and have a review after 7 weeks

i would talk to your GP before signing up to something x

Comment

Thanks, I did see a GP today (not my usual one) and mentioned it, she didn't say anything about getting it on prescription so to speak.

Next time I see my normal one I'll ask. I could go to the council gyms for a small fee per session as I'm on benefits, but they don't have personal trainers on hand all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ames View Post
        Thanks, I did see a GP today (not my usual one) and mentioned it, she didn't say anything about getting it on prescription so to speak.

Next time I see my normal one I'll ask. I could go to the council gyms for a small fee per session as I'm on benefits, but they don't have personal trainers on hand all the time.
        i had to be quite direct with my doctor and say that i'd heard i could have a referral, and i explained i wanted to get fit to help myself, but couldn't afford membership at this time. it is the council gyms they refer to x

Comment

The gym where I work costs £39 per month - it's expensive and the only 'perk' you get is that you can also use the swimming pool!
          Made by God...Improved by the Devil
          Save £2 a day - £1610.00 so far

Comment

Ah, referral wouldn't be any good for me then.

Angelic, do you mind me asking which gym that is? I want one with a swimming pool, and some have sauna's which'd be nice but not if you have to pay a fortune extra!

Comment

Working...
            X