Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: trueCall

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
    I discovered a little advertised nuisance with mine recently. Every year you have to pay Truecall a £15.00 (currently) subscription to be able to download any of your recordings. It seemed a bit much to me that you pay for one of the most expensive machines out there, and then by the back door you have to keep paying for the rest of your life.

Don't get me wrong, the unit is brilliant, especially with some of the folk I talk to, but having to pay that much each year to keep it working seemed like they're having a laugh at our expense. I wonder if this would count as a misleading action as it is not clearly advertised as a feature of the unit when yu buy it?
    No, it certainly is not.

What would happen if one did not pay?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
      No, it certainly is not.

What would happen if one did not pay?
      I didn't pay to start with and basically the machine ceases to work. I'm not sure exactly how they work, but to get your recordings, you have to do a web link, which links your machine to their servers via the phone line. It makes me wonder if the recordings are actually held by them, and then loaded onto your SD card when you do the web link.

The ability to record is clearly linked to the machine and not the phone number as I asked them about this recently following a change of number. It will work on any phone line now I've paid the £15.00, but would not work at all until I'd paid it.

Comment

Personally, i dont care about keeping recordings, which is why i bought the CPR call blocker in the end, found a website with a nice discount on them.

The latest version (not sure if they all did) gives you the ability to manually store blocked numbers, so whenever i get a letter from a new DCA i just bung the number in straight away lol

Can also turn on/off international calls, voip, withheld, internet calls etc.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
          Sounds like the recordings are held on their servers rather than the unit itself and you need some sort of subscription service to access it I'd say it IS misleading if they don't make this fact clear when you buy the unit.
          The recordings cannot be on their servers, as the unit does not connect to the 'net and the recordings are made on an SD data card.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
            There's also this service which will be launched soon ---> removed by admin!
            The site is broken, as it is impossible to get any more information from it.
            Last edited by Never-In-Doubt; 7 June 2012, 13:12. Reason: removed link!

Comment

The recordings cannot be on their servers, as the unit does not connect to the 'net and the recordings are made on an SD data card.

The recordings are def not on their servers, mine only uplinks once a week and if you take the card out and put it in the pc you can play the messages through the truecall software on there

M

Comment

Originally posted by mjr001 View Post
                The recordings are def not on their servers, mine only uplinks once a week and if you take the card out and put it in the pc you can play the messages through the truecall software on there
                But what does it do when it uplinks and what would it not do if that uplink was to be interrupted?

Comment

But what does it do when it uplinks and what would it not do if that uplink was to be interrupted?
                  I thought the uplink only shows the calls made and received on the unit, and also a quick way to change the settings of the unit rather than having to do it through the handset menu, like the block and allow calls, ring duration, etc

M

Comment

Originally posted by mjr001 View Post
                    I thought the uplink only shows the calls made and received on the unit, and also a quick way to change the settings of the unit rather than having to do it through the handset menu, like the block and allow calls, ring duration, etc
                    In that case, to where does it 'uplink'?

Comment

In that case, to where does it 'uplink'?

As far as I can tell its a 0208 phone code, which then takes the information off the truecall and transfers it to their website so the information can be seen and changed.

All the settings on the truecall can be changed by going through the phone menu after pressing hash then star then entering a 4 digit pin on the handset.

The numbers that have phoned will be read out as well then you can decide to either zap or star the numbers. it seems like it can all be done via handset but takes ages.

M

Comment

Until you do the weblink, if you put the card into the computer with their special little holder, there will be no recordings on it. It is only when you do the weblink that you can access the recordings.

Yes, you can listen to the messages from the SD card by putting it into your computer, but only once the weblink has been completed - the word completed answers CC's last question.

Comment

Until you do the weblink, if you put the card into the computer with their special little holder, there will be no recordings on it. It is only when you do the weblink that you can access the recordings.

Yes, you can listen to the messages from the SD card by putting it into your computer, but only once the weblink has been completed - the word completed answers CC's last question.
                          Then it plainly does not do what has been claimed of it.

Comment

i have tried it without the uplink and it will let me listen to messages

M

Comment

Listen to messages as in using it as an answering machine, or listen to recordings of conversations as in using it as a call recorder?

We may be at crossed purposes.

Comment

Listen to messages as in using it as an answering machine, or listen to recordings of conversations as in using it as a call recorder?

We may be at crossed purposes.
                                Sorry. I had a call from Someone which I recorded the whole conversation. I took the card straight out of truecall and plugged it into my pc and it was there. I don't think it did an uplink to their servers, could be wrong

M

Comment

Working...
                                X