GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Any Linux Experts ? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Linux Experts ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Linux Experts ?

ok...I've a laptop with windows 7 home premium 2GB ram with a 3GB processor, i'm looking to add linux as a dual boot

now..my experiance of linux is pretty rusty so need something simple to start....any suggestions to which linux??

Re: Any Linux Experts ?

This lappy is running ubuntu/kubuntu. (I prefer the KDE desktop personally)

I've also used Mandriva a lot, and OpenSuse a bit.

With Ubuntu and Opensuse, the online help/communities are mahoosive, so there is normally plenty of help if you get stuck.

Other than that, hard to say which most appropriate?

Mandriva has arguably one of the best set of graphical configuration tools, but the distro and the community are 'wilting' a bit nowadays.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thank you as always Rizzle!

Comment

Mint (a ubuntu derivative) is meant to be more user/newbie friendly from the start. Not tried it myself though.

There are just so many options now.

Who's going to use it and what for? And who would want to do things like install software, configure it etc?
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

The newest Ubuntu, 10 I think is amazing. I switched from Windows to a Mac, and then decided to give Linux another bash. Picked it up straight away.

I'm not a Linux expert by any means, nor am I a console monkey ... but I managed to get everything running on there that I needed.

The other option is a hackintosh ... not strictly legal, but a lot of fun regardless!
          "Cheap is good, but FREE is better!"

Comment

Running Mint on my laptop, no Windows! Had been running Zenwalk for a good time but fancied a change. The joy of being able to keep my Home partition across distros!

Mint is pretty comprehensive and simple.

Mrs RTB runs Puppy Linux from a USB stick as her laptop hard drive is knackered. Data is saved across sessions on the USB, very handy.

I'd get a couple of live cds and give them a shot first. Have a rummage round distrowatch to see what takes your fancy.

Don't forget that you don't need to change distros to change your experience, just change your desktop or window manager.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
              This lappy is running ubuntu/kubuntu. (I prefer the KDE desktop personally)

I've also used Mandriva a lot, and OpenSuse a bit.

With Ubuntu and Opensuse, the online help/communities are mahoosive, so there is normally plenty of help if you get stuck.

Other than that, hard to say which most appropriate?

Mandriva has arguably one of the best set of graphical configuration tools, but the distro and the community are 'wilting' a bit nowadays.
              Planning your holidays Rizzle - Sounds like destinations in Israel or Agastan'

Comment

ton of food for thought....thanks guys!

(and rizzle...just me using not much tinkering really apart from something that can dual boot..damn adobe dreamweaver wont work unless in windows!)

Comment

Did you get on OK in the end Phil?

Comment

Dabbled with a few live CD's but with things at home havent had chance to do much else yet

Comment

Working...
                    X