GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script CPU Fan error - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CPU Fan error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Fan error

My CPU fan has (mostly) stopped working..I'm getting CPU fan error messages on startup.

It's an AMD Phenom 11 x 4 840 3.3 GHz processor.

I've unscrewed it and given it a good clean (it was very dusty!) but it's still trying to spin then stopping.

Anyone know if these can be purchased separately or do I have to replace the whole heatsink?

In the meantime I need to get my files & stuff off it just in case..how long can I safely run it before turning it off to cool down?

Re: CPU Fan error

CPU fans can be bought at any local PC repair place (even PC world!) most modern PC's (mine's an AMD phenom as well!) have a cut out if the machine gets too hot to damage the CPU shouldnt be too bad really especially now the weather is colder...BUT not to say its safe to leave on hours at a time
    but wherever you go tell them it's for a CPU (AMD) otherwise like PC world they tried to sell me a case fan instead idiots! depending on the heatsink as well hopefully thats ok? otherwise you might need a total kit heatsink/fan thermal paste etc

back up what you need and you'll be fine

sounds to me the bearings are knackered...did the fan sound noisy when it worked?

I personally use these guys

http://www.cclonline.com/category/40...h/amd-cpu-fan/

just over a £5 for heatsink AND fan replacement
    Last edited by philnicandamy; 11 October 2013, 10:56.

Comment

I have loads - come get one if you want? I'm not far from you

They're probably only a tenner to get new tbh
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

thankfully now though dont have fan issues...watercooled all the wayy!!!!

Comment

Thanks Phil and Niddy
          My OH is out and about in Wakefield so as long as I know they're gettable I'll text him to call in PC World or Maplins.
          Meanwhile I'm just transferring files onto my ext HD.

I was going to pass this big old PC on to my son soon but all the faff of transferring Emails etc has been putting me off. Good incentive to do it now!

Comment

and if he refuses it I can give it a good home!!

Comment

You can have the free dust bunnies too Phil

Anyways, I've managed to fix it. Nothing to lose so I prised it apart and cleaned all the spindle and it's (touch wood) working fine now

Comment

if you really need to run it while you havent got a cpu fan, plug in a indoor table fan, and take the side off the case, keep the fan pointed directly at the cpu. You have to make sure you keep this cool the whole time its on, you dont want it to overheat in the slightest, trust me you will have more problems than its worth if you do it to many times.

This is a quick fix method to get your files, not a solution lol.
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Ohhhh dust bunnies...love em!

Comment

Working...
                  X