GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Heating Oil?? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heating Oil??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heating Oil??

Does anyone know of any cheap and accurate ways of measuring heating oil in a tank?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Heating Oil??

Garden cane and use it to measure the depth of the oil in the tank
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yes, if you don't know or understand the capacity of the tank.....

Comment

how do you measure anything without first knowning its capacity?

Comment

Why do you need to know exact capacity?

Most heating oil tanks are 1200 (approx) litres, so if you want to know how much oil to order for a delivery that'll give you an idea depending on how high the oil is inside. Most delivery firms will have a minimum order (the ones I used were 200 litres).

However older oil tanks (made of metal not plastic), may not be of standard size, or even a standard shape.
          "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Comment

My friends have moved in to a house with an oil tank. They don't know the capacity or how much is left, so they don't know how long it will last or whether they need to order oil.

Comment

Measure the length,width & height of the tank in cm .

EG; 50cm x 30cm x 30cm = 45,000cm that will give you the volume.

there are 1000 cubic cm in a litre, so divide 45,000 by 1000. So the answer is 45 litres in the above example.

I hope this helps

Jack
              Remember, "sometimes It doesn't matter if you lose, it is enough to have fought and made your point."

Comment

Originally posted by jackreacher View Post
                Measure the length,width & height of the tank in cm .

EG; 50cm x 30cm x 30cm = 45,000cm that will give you the volume.

there are 1000 cubic cm in a litre, so divide 45,000 by 1000. So the answer is 45 litres in the above example.
                Most newer domestic oil tanks are cylindrical so if you want to calculate the volume you'd be better off using pi x radius (squared) x height

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                My friends have moved in to a house with an oil tank. They don't know the capacity or how much is left, so they don't know how long it will last or whether they need to order oil.
                So the stick method will work fine for them. Measure the depth of the oil left in the tank, then go back and measure it again after 3-4 days (unless its only got a few cms left!!) and this will then tell them how many 'cm's of oil they are using per day and they should be able to approximate how much oil they have to last them.

Obviously depends on the size of house, efficiency of boiler etc, but in our old house its not unusual to use anything between 800-1400 litres of oil during the winter months.

SnV

Comment

Working...
                X