GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Windscreen chip repair - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windscreen chip repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen chip repair

I've got a couple of chips (one recent) from flying stones on my cars windscreen. At the weekend I saw one of those repair companies in the local supermarket but they were busy so I didn't get it done but thought I'd make an appointment online today to get the repair done.

I always thought these were done free but when I phoned my insurance company to check (as instructed to do on paperwork) they said it cost £20.00 per chip and then only that price if I used their approved repair company (nationwide)

Anyone else had to pay for their repairs ?

Re: Windscreen chip repair

Yes. Different companies do charge. I have 2 policies with one company with different NCB; one is gold cover and free, the other is silver and charges £50 for windscreen repair!
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks, could work out quite expensive then

Roads around here are deteriorating with heavy lorries back and forth all day damaging the roads then bits of debris are easily thrown up by the vehicle in front onto the windscreen and paintwork of the car. Add to that the damage potholes do to the tyres/wheels !!! no wonder the government changed the wording away from road tax which implied what you paid was to keep the roads fit for purpose

Comment

At least they shouldn't affect your NCB!
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

most companies charge a fee for chip repairs! and have done so for a few years now.

6 years ago asked one of those car park chip repair chap how much to do a chip on my old car he said £35.00, then asked name of insurance company and then stated Oh! it is free, so went ahead and did the job!

On renewal notice later note on bottom of renewal stated claim for £95.00 for windscreen chip repair! says it all about these parasites out to fleece Insurance companies and our premiums increase every year

Comment

Interesting
            if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
              most companies charge a fee for chip repairs! and have done so for a few years now.

6 years ago asked one of those car park chip repair chap how much to do a chip on my old car he said £35.00, then asked name of insurance company and then stated Oh! it is free, so went ahead and did the job!

On renewal notice later note on bottom of renewal stated claim for £95.00 for windscreen chip repair! says it all about these parasites out to fleece Insurance companies and our premiums increase every year
              Blimey, glad I didn't just get it done in the supermarket.

Problem round my way is we have these huge haulage lorries (up to 12 tyres) driving on old country roads that aren't made for that sort of weight so the surface is breaking up leaving debris and potholes on the road. They also damage the drain surrounds and I've been told the problem I'm having with a slow puncture on 2 near side tyres is almost certainly down to damage caused to the alloys/tyres from holes in the road

Haven't had a chip done for quite a while but when I last did I was told it was free because the ins co would rather pay for chips than a whole new windscreen but I've now got a large excess so I suppose it's not so important to them ?

Comment

& the price of replacement windscreen went thru the roof just after that incident!

Comment

remember at the time pointed out to the Insurance company they were being ripped off - no response from them!

Comment

Working...
                  X