GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Simvastatins (40MG) side affects. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simvastatins (40MG) side affects.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Simvastatins (40MG) side affects.

There's already a cookery corner section of the forum Cookery Corner - allaboutFORUMS

Might be good to start a healthy cooking thread.
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Must go an have a look, sorry for sort of diverting this thread away from it's main purpose ....

must confess though...I have a bread making machine, so it's nothing too clever really...just chuck it all in and press the button !

Comment

Originally posted by cardiac arrest View Post
        Must go an have a look, sorry for sort of diverting this thread away from it's main purpose ....

must confess though...I have a bread making machine, so it's nothing too clever really...just chuck it all in and press the button !

That's alright, think I will have to get one, but know in my luck I will still mess up lol!

Comment

I was reading that drinking Sodium bicarbonate is good for kidney disease, but I am a little iffy because of the sodium and sure it wont help the cholesterol, take a read of what I found anyway...

http://drsircus.com/medicine/sodium-...um-bicarbonate

Comment

Baking soda for kidney patients - Health news - NHS Choices

there's another link, from the initial studies..

Obviously you'd check it out with your Doc...you're taking other medication I guess...

Comment

Baking soda for kidney patients - Health news - NHS Choices

there's another link, from the initial studies..

Obviously you'd check it out with your Doc...you're taking other medication I guess...
              That's a far better link, thank you.

This is something that I will be mentioning now at my next appointment, and yes as well as statins for cholesterol, I do take 2 types of meds for high bp as well.

Comment

Sorry to hijack your thread Di but I've hunted it down as my OH went to see the Dr about his gout and was found to have high blood pressure which triggered further blood tests and a 24 hour BP monitor.
                He saw the doctor for his results last week and his average BP is 185/125 and his cholesterol 6.2.

He's very fit apart from the gout, not an ounce of excess fat on him and gets lots of excercise in his job (and my DIY lists )

He prescribed Pravastin 40mg at night for the cholesterol and Amlodipine 5mg in the mornings for his blood pressure.
                He's not started the Amlodipine yet as I wanted him to wait till his day off tomorrow to check for adverse effects, as he has a long drive to work each morning.

After only the 2nd dose of Pravastin he's had a bad night with leg cramps.
                Reading through the thread I'll get him some tonic water to see if that helps, and have just ordered some Stat-Guard from Amazon. He has to go for an ECG tomorrow so I'll make sure he mentions the cramps when he goes.

I'm currently working on a diet for him that takes in the Gout, BP and Cholesterol. That's mainly tomatoes and cherries then

There was also an odd liver function result which I need to get to the bottom of as the Dr's English wasn't too good. I think it may have been the GGT which he said was very high and practically accused my OH of being alcoholic!
                Now he (we) do like a drink in the evening, but not in excess. He has a couple of bottles of beer sometimes followed by a glass of wine with dinner.

I'm wondering whether his gout medication (Indometacin) may have affected the results as he's been taking a lot lately, so more research needed. (I'm a retired nurse so I like to know all the fine details, but things have moved on since I left, and there's nothing like personal experience for real knowledge.)

How are you getting on now with this Di? Did you get the cramps under control?

Elsa x

Comment

Hmmm. It seems that Indometacin (a NSAID) can affect the Liver function tests. As can having an alcoholic drink the night before. He's also on acid inhibitors because of the effects of the indometacin

Even small amounts of alcohol within 24 hours of your GGT test may cause a temporary increase in the GGT. If this occurs, your doctor may want to repeat the test.......
                  ...Drugs that may cause an elevated GGT level include phenytoin, carbamazepine, and barbiturates such as phenobarbital. Use of many other prescription and non-prescription drugs, including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), lipid-lowering drugs, antibiotics, histamine receptor blockers (used to treat excess stomach acid production), antifungal agents, antidepressants, and hormones such as testosterone, can increase GGT levels. Clofibrate and oral contraceptives can decrease GGT levels.
                  GGT Levels - Liver Disorders - MedHelp

Comment

I just had my 6 monthly blood test results last week...BP is good, cholesterol was 5.7...which they called me back in to lecture me about. I stopped taking the statins 3 months ago due to cramps, so the nurse advised to start again...thing about cholesterol tabs, it takes 3 months to work and doesn't recover what is already stuck in your veins/arteries..apparently ? Nurse said up to me of course, if I want another heart attack, or a stroke even....No pressure then..

I don't think 5.7 is that far out of the range, but it's my metabolism not my diet that's causing this (inherited from my Mum).

Comment

I think it just stops them furring up more. I agree, 5.7 isn't desperate, especially if your BP's normal, but in view of your past history she's just being cautious.
                      Do you use Flora Pro-Active or similar?

Comment

Aww so sorry to hear that Elsa!

I had terrible cramps with the first one's they prescribed me last November, called Simvastastins @ 40mg, so my Dr said to leave them until my app in Feb, so in Feb appointment although there was improvement in my cholesterol (mainly diet controlled because of not taking all the said statins), my Dr wanted to put me back on them, and changed them to Pravastastins @ 40MG.

However, I must say, I've not once had cramp issues with these. So far so good and another good reading last week on the result for this particular lab.

In regards of Blood pressure, I was on 2 lots, Adizem 180mg since 2002, then just over 2 years ago they gave me an addiitonal tab to take on top called Perindropril 2mg.
                        But..........in Feb I had slight potassium elavated levels, so my Dr now taken me off that one.

I shall be speaking to my Dr again sometime this week, because originally she did say in time I may come off the statins if happy, so whether or not this will happen I'm not sure.
                        As you know as I have Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) as well, I have also read that in this case the statins should be reduced, so another reason I need to speak to my Dr.

I do hope they find the right solution for your O/H, I think at first it's like trial and error, makes us feel like guinea pigs doesnt it?

I hope things improve hun x

Comment

Hi Elsa.
                          Greetings from Klaipeda.

My wife used to get asked how much she drank because of her blood results yet she didn't drink.
                          I can hardly preach but just get your OH. to do a drink diary for 1 week. I was shocked at just how many units i had.
                          I large glass of wine a night can take you to the weekly limit. Scarey i know.

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
                            I think it just stops them furring up more. I agree, 5.7 isn't desperate, especially if your BP's normal, but in view of your past history she's just being cautious.
                            Do you use Flora Pro-Active or similar?

Flora Lite...

They can check your Glycerol (have I said that right?) in your blood which tells them if your diet is good, she said..and mine was good..I'm carefull what I eat/drink tho'...always.

I have ramped up my exercise though...which helps, including using a heart rate monitor to ensure I workout in the right 'zones'...this is really useful as when I run I stop at 135 bpm regardless of whether I am tired or not, then I walk until it drops to 95 bpm, then start again..

Comment

I just had my 6 monthly blood test results last week...BP is good, cholesterol was 5.7...which they called me back in to lecture me about. I stopped taking the statins 3 months ago due to cramps, so the nurse advised to start again...thing about cholesterol tabs, it takes 3 months to work and doesn't recover what is already stuck in your veins/arteries..apparently ? Nurse said up to me of course, if I want another heart attack, or a stroke even....No pressure then..

I don't think 5.7 is that far out of the range, but it's my metabolism not my diet that's causing this (inherited from my Mum).

2.5 out of range it seems I take Simvastatin every night and it stays aroung 3.5. and also odd cramp.
                              Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 20 May 2013, 20:43.
                              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I remember being asked that question at one time Jon and I've not had a drink for almost 18 years lol, maybe a sip of my son's baileys on new year, and as said one little sip (that was the new year before last lol).

Comment

Working...
                                X