GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Simvastatins (40MG) side affects. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simvastatins (40MG) side affects.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Simvastatins (40MG) side affects.

Originally posted by oldyboy View Post
    If this helps any I was diagnosed with high cholesterol 7 years ago and have been on 40mg Simvastatin ever since. I had muscle aches to start with, until I was told by a friend that they should be taken before bedtime. It would seem they're meant to work overnight and I'd been taking them in the morning! Apart from that I've had no probs. Might just be a case of your body adjusting to them.

I agree with others that they do more good than harm as my initial count of 9.3 has come down to below 6.

Hiya
    And thank you too for your input.

Blimey that was very high!, and well done for bringing it down too!

Yes hopefully my body will adjust with time, I have been taking mine before 10pm nightly, and it will be almost a month on the 14th that I was prescribed them, so I don't think I've given them a chance to be honest. x

Comment

Off to my appointment shortly, will let you know what is said.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
        You like me then, don't smoke or drink, I gave up drinking about 19 years ago, however, had the odd wine with mostly lemonade on celebrations, I did used to smoke but gave that up before losing my dad 2 years ago, then was naughty coz of my nerves with losing dad after the first few weeks, then stopped again.

My weight varies between 9 to just under 9 and a half stone, was told for my height at 5'5 that was just right.
        I used to be a fitness freak with advanced aerobics and that suddenly stopped to just basic exercise now, so I expect that will make an impact to my body, changes etc.

With my dad, as he had a listed history of med conditions, stokes, heart condition, cancer, asthma, however he did also have emphysema from working at the coal pits, so that was due to working there with the lung disease, he was then diagnosed with dementia at the age of 60, lost him at 69, they were checking him for parkinson's as well, but then we lost him to double pneumonia.

Yes it's very scary.

I was actually given a cholesterol diet sheet a long time ago, followed it but in my case it didnt seem to bring it down to what they wanted it to be.

sorry about your dad he sounds like he suffered a lot of conditions , i hope you get the right medication to bring down the cholesterol and no side effects .

Comment

Hiya

Blimey that was very high!, and well done for bringing it down too!
          Thanks Di but it was mainly due to the tablets and exercise. I've found out mine has been inherited and so diet doesn't really help much. I'm not saying I can eat burger and chips every day, but doing a low fat option on anything doesn't really cut it. Exercise has helped immensely though, as that helps build up levels of 'good' cholesterol. The good/bad cholesterol ratio is also important I've been told.

Hope your appointment goes well.

Comment

Thanks Di but it was mainly due to the tablets and exercise. I've found out mine has been inherited and so diet doesn't really help much. I'm not saying I can eat burger and chips every day, but doing a low fat option on anything doesn't really cut it. Exercise has helped immensely though, as that helps build up levels of 'good' cholesterol. The good/bad cholesterol ratio is also important I've been told.

Hope your appointment goes well.

Hiya and thank you, just came back from app now, and was told it was early days, but to bear with it a little bit longer, if it does became too unbearable then they will change them to something else, can't remember exactly the name but I know it starts with "A" lol.
            It's basically trial and error at this stage she said.

I was told the same as you, with mine being hereditary, as no diet helped with mine either unfortunately.

I will keep up with my keep fit regime , I love dancing and do that everyday, and also take a walk. x

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
              sorry about your dad he sounds like he suffered a lot of conditions , i hope you get the right medication to bring down the cholesterol and no side effects .
              Hiya and thanks hun,

Yes he did have a lot, too many to list really, he ended up with no quality of life bless him.

Just posted above as well about my appointment thank you x

Comment

40mg Simvatatin is my one as well I get pains shooting up down my leg from time to time, dam nusence at time what with awaiting hip operation , and sciatica in the knee, but as you state could be the statin doing it, only one I was told to look out for was flushes!

mine was issued with heart tablets as a precaution if I remember correctly.
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Di,

Sorry I was not around yesterday to pick this up.

I think it was me you were discussing leg pains and cramps with.

Simvastatin did not suit me. My Doc put me on Atorvastatin @ 20mg in the end. These were better for a while, but the leg cramps came back while in bed. I then cut the Atorvastins in half so I was taking 10mg a day. The Doc seemed ok with this and just changed my prescription, but the night cramps came back, albeit less severe.

My sin-in-law is a Pharmasist. Reading between the lines there does seem to be most complaints obout Statins, but he would not say that. He did tell me to try a glass of tonic water each night. So far so good. No cramps at night. Apparently it is the Quinine in the tonic water.

I think the main problem is if you already have a problem with your legs, statins may agrevate it.

Comment

Originally posted by vint1954 View Post
                    Hi Di,

Sorry I was not around yesterday to pick this up.

I think it was me you were discussing leg pains and cramps with.

Simvastatin did not suit me. My Doc put me on Atorvastatin @ 20mg in the end. These were better for a while, but the leg cramps came back while in bed. I then cut the Atorvastins in half so I was taking 10mg a day. The Doc seemed ok with this and just changed my prescription, but the night cramps came back, albeit less severe.

My sin-in-law is a Pharmasist. Reading between the lines there does seem to be most complaints obout Statins, but he would not say that. He did tell me to try a glass of tonic water each night. So far so good. No cramps at night. Apparently it is the Quinine in the tonic water.

I think the main problem is if you already have a problem with your legs, statins may agrevate it.
                    Hiya
                    That's ok no worries.
                    They are the next tabs they may prescribe me, as above I mentioned they did say something begining with A, and now reading your's it will be them if they have to change.

Strange you said that about the tonic water, my in law mentioned this to me this evening and said it helped lots, and he's had his meds changed 3 times.

Glad that technique's worked for you, will grab a bottle when out tomorrow, and thanks again. x

Comment

Originally posted by vint1954 View Post
                      Hi Di,
                      He did tell me to try a glass of tonic water each night. So far so good. No cramps at night. Apparently it is the Quinine in the tonic water.

Hi Di and Vint,

Thanks for discussing the leg problems. I've just realised I've had a problem with my left leg from the hip down that's developed over the last few years. It might not be related to the statins at all, but I'm off to the shops in the morning for some tonic water!

Comment

Hi Di and Vint,

Thanks for discussing the leg problems. I've just realised I've had a problem with my left leg from the hip down that's developed over the last few years. It might not be related to the statins at all, but I'm off to the shops in the morning for some tonic water!
                        It'll help with the Malaria too!

Comment

Hiya and thank you, just came back from app now, and was told it was early days, but to bear with it a little bit longer, if it does became too unbearable then they will change them to something else, can't remember exactly the name but I know it starts with "A" lol.
                          It's basically trial and error at this stage she said.

I was told the same as you, with mine being hereditary, as no diet helped with mine either unfortunately.

I will keep up with my keep fit regime , I love dancing and do that everyday, and also take a walk. x
                          That would be "Atorvastatin" which the brand name is Lipitor which is what I am on.

Comment

Val took lipitor and often complained about pains in the legs (and neck when i was around). There is one of the statins i can't remember which,either ator or sim that is much better but more expensive and as such doesn't get prescribed.

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                              Val took lipitor and often complained about pains in the legs (and neck when i was around). There is one of the statins i can't remember which,either ator or sim that is much better but more expensive and as such doesn't get prescribed.

Like the comment you made quote:- ( and neck when I was a round), maybe not when you were not around oopppssss!!! bye
                              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Atorvastatin is far more expensive. Thats why they start you on simvastatin

Comment

Working...
                                X