GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Term time holiday fines - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Term time holiday fines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Term time holiday fines

I too agree that there should be some levelling of the fees charged across the whole year by holiday companies so that it is possible for families to have some quality time together during the school holidays, however as this is not something that the holiday companies do and the government appears to not be concerned about then families sometimes have no choice, IF they manage to save up some money for a week away to relax and unwind and share some time with each other (which is crucial for family bonding/relationships) then I do not feel they should then be fined for it, all work and no play etc etc....

They need to remember that for some families it will be a struggle to save up this money and impossible for them to save double that amount, for a lot of families mum and dad both now have to work full time just to pay the bills, this means time away from their children, a break together is exactly what is needed for the emotional wellbeing of the children, which is just as important as school education, afterall a depressed miserable genius isn't exactly a result is it??!

I do think that there are other factors that should be taken into account, cumulative absence in the school year, is the child preparing for or taking exams etc...but on the whole I believe a week or 2 as a maximum a year isn't going to make that much difference to their education but could make all the difference to the family unit and definitely their financial situation.
    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Re: Term time holiday fines

We home ed our secondary school boys now so the fines mean zilch to us but...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36277940

A father who refused to pay a £120 fine for taking his daughter on an unauthorised term-time holiday has won a High Court ruling in his favour.
      Magistrates had ruled that Jon Platt had no case to answer as, overall, his daughter had attended school regularly.
      Isle of Wight Council had asked the High Court to clarify whether a seven-day absence amounted to a child failing to attend regularly.
      The government says it will now consider making alterations to the law.
      "We will look at the judgement in detail but are clear children's attendance is non-negotiable so we will now look to change the law," said a spokesman for the Department for Education.
      "We also plan to strengthen statutory guidance to schools and local authorities."

Comment

Working...
      X