GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Term time holiday fines - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Term time holiday fines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Term time holiday fines

OK so it is open to corruption then... hmm...

Right as far as 6th formers there is this:

In practice a person ceases to be of "compulsory school age" on the last Friday of June during the year that s/he becomes 16 provided that the child's birthday is before the beginning of the next school year.
    If his/her 16th birthday is after the start of the new school year, s/he is still of "compulsory school age" until the end of the last Friday in June of the following year. Exceptions cannot be made for any reasons.
    I also found this (haven't looked into any of this since I Home Educated my children back in 2003):

The term "Compulsory School Age" is confusing. It does not actually mean that school is compulsory during the qualifying period. It does, however, mean that the parent or guardian of a child of "compulsory school age" has a duty to provide an education (subject to section 7 of the 1995 Education act) during that period.
    section 7 says:

7 Duty of parents to secure education of children of compulsory school age.

The parent of every child of compulsory school age shall cause him to receive efficient full-time education suitable—
    (a)to his age, ability and aptitude, and
    (b)to any special educational needs he may have,
    either by regular attendance at school or otherwise.
    Surely... if you can prove your children were being educated where they were then that stisfies section 7 and therefore no offence has been committed!

taadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... lol

I'd still like to know WHERE the money goes and who admin's it....

Comment

The local authority collect it and retain it, as the school is a division of a LA, insofar as Gvt funding goes.
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Patchouli why not make a Freedom of Information request your local authority re fines, where the money goes etc.
        In the past I've done voluntary work in schools in third world countries where children, and their parents, make heroic efforts to get an education and to travel to school - often miles on foot. So personally I have little sympathy for parents who think it's okay for their kids to miss school for a holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by Leixlip1 View Post
          So personally I have little sympathy for kids in this country missing school for a holiday.
          Why, if as per the highlighted story the parents cannot make it? In my last job holidays in August were impossible hence we decided to go to Cuba in April and October thus taking BOTH our kids out of school twice a year for two weeks each time. We need those holidays and anyone who comes here can see I spend 20 hours a day doing things here, in my real world life and for users so if it suits me to take a holiday in October, I will.

But according to you you've no sympathy for that? If only people could see how hard some parents do work, them maybe they'd change their attitude.

Just saying like
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Patchouli why not make a Freedom of Information request your local authority re fines, where the money goes etc.

yeah I could but then what would be the point of a discussion forum if all we did was point people to Google .. I like the debate.. the banter.. seeing who knows what and getting minds ticking ! ha ha...

In the past I've done voluntary work in schools in third world countries where children, and their parents, make heroic efforts to get an education and to travel to school - often miles on foot. So personally I have little sympathy for parents who think it's okay for their kids to miss school for a holiday.
            That's a bit harsh, why do people always use third world problems to argue first world discussions... Most of the third world problems are caused by our first world governments.. either our actions or inactions.

My friends Mother used to bark at us at dinner time whenever I ate there "Eat it all up, children in Africa are starving, you don't have the right to like or dislike food!"

In reality I personally think our education system is in need of a huge overhaul, wrong or pointless subjects being taught, shoddy curriculum for the subjects I do think are important, far too much time spent at school and then they pile on an hour and a half homework most nights... etc etc etc... if I could afford to I would home ed again.

I think if a child isn't a serial bunker then why not let it have a few days off... most holidays include history, physical education, foreign language, art..... anyway... lol
            Last edited by patchouli; 16 January 2014, 12:50.

Comment

And saves paying a premium for holidays over August........
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

LOL blimey all those typos.. I need to go back to school!!! pmsl

Comment

Originally posted by Deepie View Post
                  And saves paying a premium for holidays over August........
                  Well yes, this is something that needs looking into.

Comment

All this talk of holidays...... Just spoke to Poppy, am on travel websites now

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post

* is jealous*

Comment

We're becoming a communist state, it's happening around us and before long we will be a cold-Cuba, minus the revolution.

How about Cuba?

Comment

If you get any good deals will you let me know ... ?
                          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
                            How about Cuba?

was looking at Greece then ended up at Cuba so chances are it may well be Cuba.... Again!!!!

It it really is paradise though.

Comment

This is interesting as we were "outed" by George just this week at school - we were given a weekend break at Center Parcs last weekend as a Christmas present - we didn't go until after school on Friday but decided that we would phone school and report George ill for Monday - anyway had a lovely weekend, telephoned and left a message on the answer phone on Monday morning. Bathing George on Tuesday night the conversation went like this, me "Did Miss ask if you were better today George?" George replies with a big smile "yes mum but I told her not to worry about me as I wasn't really poorly we were just on holiday in Center Parcs" - waiting for the fine to fall on the mat!!!

Oh to be 5 hey......

Jane x

Comment

That reminds me of an essay my 8 year old daughter wrote for her teacher called "My Weekend". The last sentence went " . . . and Mummy drank a lot of wine". Oooops

Comment

Working...
                                X