GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Term time holiday fines - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Term time holiday fines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Term time holiday fines

In defence of the legislation, the number of parents taking children out of school has decreased considerably, though the number of unauthorised absences has increased slightly. The EWO visits all schools regularly and will check the attendance registers. Schools have to propose a percentage for attendance, failure to meet this can result in a failed OFSTED, despite the level of teaching!!!
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

When younger I used to be even more direct than I can be now, and even less afraid to speak my mind.

I cant remember the exact circumstances, but we were told to ask our parents permission for something, and to emphasise (they probably didnt use that word to 7 year olds!) that in their opinion, it was important.

Parents response, given to the teacher, exactly as it was said to me was "Mum said no, and she doesnt give a dogs dinner what your opinion is"

I was emphatically told to get out - so I did, complete with coat (was only ten minutes till end of School anyway)
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Not always parents fault kids aint in school!!

Comment

Hey all,

Wasn't our brilliant (NOT) government supposed to have capped what the holiday companies are charging during the school holidays periods a few years ago? Seem to me it hasn't worked.
          Anyway, after paying all these so called debts for so many years and NEVER taken my kids out of school for hols before, I decided last October I would for the 1st and ever time for a 10 day AI to Turkey.
          I rang the school and filled in the form to say at that time they had 1600 pupils on role and not every person in the country could get time off in this time (school Holidays-which is true), also my hubby even though put in for holidays 12 months in advance was refused by his company? So I thought balls to it we are going anyway and I had to book when hubby's company said it was ok to go. I booked to go on the 8th October 2013 for 10 nights. The school didn't say a word in all fairness. As the only time off my kids have is for illness (son is epileptic), but even after I wrote on the form and stated that not everyone in the country could take their holidays in the schools summer holiday break they agreed to the holiday (not that they had much option anyway as we were going end of)....... I am nearly 50 and only now having our 1st family holiday?). It worked out ok for us and it didn't really interfere with my sons 1st year of gcse's, he has since caught up. So no harm done hey xxxx

Jules xxxx

Comment

Certain travel agents used to hold prices at the same level during holiday. I think that if summer holidays weren't more expensive then all holidays would cost more. Profit etc, and no I don't support this happening.

many teachers do not support parents on this as they always have to pay the higher charges!

Comment

cymruambyth,

Reading back on your comment earlier, EWO's are a permanent fixture in our local school. Yes they have other schools to attend I agree but ours is with us daily. Mainly via a mobile phone these days.

They are all to quick to send parents judgmental letters, but when (as I have in the past) questioned, they retract as say its a bog standard letter they send.

Personal experience via my own son being hospitalised for epilepsy.

All in all they are pretty good I have to say and willing to help if a genuine problem arises

Jules xx

Comment

I agree Jules, however when the system is being abused they are there to support a school.

Comment

All you gotta do is issue the school your own terms, fining the school each time they request additional days off for "teacher training". I'm sure I read somewhere that this had been done!! Nuts mind you lol

not recommended.
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

This whole issue stinks and there needs to be a judicial review of the legislation the education authorities are taking it out on the parents which is wrong as the issues are bigger than that, it is for reasons of high out of term prices and parents juggling time of from work and for which if there are two parents this can be hard.

Holiday prices need to be consistent throughout the year and as niddy rightly say there needs to be floating holiday periods built into the curriculum

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
                      How about Cuba?

Nice guy might take me there with them, as a tourist this time (Might actually make it this time) not standby!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leixlip1 View Post
                        Patchouli why not make a Freedom of Information request your local authority re fines, where the money goes etc.
                        In the past I've done voluntary work in schools in third world countries where children, and their parents, make heroic efforts to get an education and to travel to school - often miles on foot. So personally I have little sympathy for parents who think it's okay for their kids to miss school for a holiday.

errrr explain that to my son who doesn't get to see his OMa or opa as im a forigner in this town... So your saying I shouldn't take him once a year ok he misses a few days of school but it saves me the 500.00 that otherwise hed not be able to go?

Comment

I can understand both sides. It can be more important for a family to have a week away, not everyone is able to have time off during school holidays

Comment

I agree the holiday companies are soley to blame for the cost.. However what I object to isn't about costs.

it's the fact that the government seem to think they OWN my child... They can punish ME for the fact that MY child wasn't at school without knowing what the consequences of said absence could be.

It's like walking up to someone and saying "Here is a £60 fine because your dog has and a*hole and COULD poop on the floor, thank you.. bye bye, pay up or it will double"

The people of the UK simply wouldn't stand for it.. "How dare you imply my dog will poop just because it has a bum! And even if it did I would clean up after it.. shove your ruddy fine!"

The law states that all children should receive an education, if they attend a school then it should be regularly ... It also states that education should be at school or OTHERWISE.... which could be argued that if you incorporate legitimate educational activities and record it during your 'holiday' then this would legally be the 'otherwise' they state in the act.

The government dont OWN my child or it's intelligence or success in life. They do have an obligation to ensure that each child leaving school at 16 (now 18) has attained a certain level of education.

So why in the name of Plato don't they do what the Americans do?

My neices and nephews (and step children) in America all need to attain certain levels or they GET HELD BACK A YEAR.... So regardless of if Mom & Pop take them out for a day, a week or a month the child simply hauls ass trying to catch up with what it missed so it doesn't fall behind.

No fines... no implied ownership, no criminal acts (for goodness sake the UK want to criminalise everything dont they?)... Just plain old simple.. "You want to graduate? You need to meet the grades required buddy!"

I still cant find how legally the government can do this fining... how can they legally make me pay MONEY (or face prison) for my child missing school? I ask again... what are the fines for?

Comment

totally agree
                              if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Fines are there to deter. The gov can impose fines as they are an elected body. Team Britain has rules to make best use of facilities and dissenters spoil plans and cause difficulties, even jealousy.

There is a price on everything. Will £500 additional holiday cost pay for your child to catch up on fractions or irregular verbs?

By selecting state education you have agreed to keep the rules. If you disagree, you can send your children to private school where you sign a contract re attendance as in US or you can try and find one that allows you to go in when you want (private tutor) or home tutor. If not, there is an acceptance that for the state schools provided by Team Britain you wish to use, you have agreed to support and abide by the rules ie term time attendance except when sick etc. They aim to enable your child with your support to attain levels according to ability, offering additional educational support where it is proven they are outside the normal learning criteria.

> 50% of children have ever been away from home on visits or holidays. Absence disrupts the whole class not just those that go away,as the pace slows to cater for absentees on their return, and sometimes way after. End of term activities are there to promote team building and soft skills not just mucking about. You might say folklore, singing, games and art are no use either.

Children that truant often have strong reasons as they are carers or breadwinners. Others may lack appropriate clothing, bus fare or means to do their homework. Social policy should assist these children and those whose parents don't care (boarding school may break the cycle)

Parents are not alone as those working in many industries are limited to high prices for holidays, e.g. Hotel workers only have winter holidays except Xmas fortnight, Wakes Week and Glasgow Fare in June etc

Grandparents can also travel, and many do, to allow their children to work through the 10weeks+ of school holidays during 10 years of childhood schooling.

don't like heat get out of kitchen

Comment

Working...
                                X