GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script My dad is really ill - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My dad is really ill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I think my dad is dying

dementia is always a hard one to treat or cope with, my nan has this and luckily for her, she's in a really good home that recognises the condition and deals with it very well. sadly shes at the point now where she doesn't know who I or my mother are, but she's happy and that's all that matters.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi S2M, Just wanted to wish you and your family the best at this hard time.
      Cheers
      Missy
      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by missy View Post
        Hi S2M, Just wanted to wish you and your family the best at this hard time.
        Cheers
        Missy
        Hi missy, thank you very much x

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
          dementia is always a hard one to treat or cope with, my nan has this and luckily for her, she's in a really good home that recognises the condition and deals with it very well. sadly shes at the point now where she doesn't know who I or my mother are, but she's happy and that's all that matters.
          It's sad I know, a friend of the family had dementia and then she got bowel cancer but they wouldn't treat it as they said she wouldn't understand what was happening to her, but she lived for another 3 years without pain and without knowing she had cancer, I firmly believe that when someone is told they have cancer or whatever and there is no cure then they deteriorate quicker as they get the feeling of no hope .

Comment

Keep pushing for the wet room conversion now, as it could take some time for it to get approval and done, and if you wait until they NEED it they could be disadvantaged. I think the tories have ended the disabled facilities grant and left it up to the local authority to decide, but get in and keep pushing. Talk to the OT as they make the recommendation for any adaptations. Ask about a profiling bed, hoists, reclining chairs, etc. Ask about apre air drying system for the shower (like a body length hand drier so they can dry themselves after showering) and toilet with facility for washing and warm air drying of perineal area. Mr I had one, and it really helped to maintain his dignity and independence. Don't be fobbed off with the cheap options your dad needs the best available. If I can help, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsinvisible View Post
              Keep pushing for the wet room conversion now, as it could take some time for it to get approval and done, and if you wait until they NEED it they could be disadvantaged. I think the tories have ended the disabled facilities grant and left it up to the local authority to decide, but get in and keep pushing. Talk to the OT as they make the recommendation for any adaptations. Ask about a profiling bed, hoists, reclining chairs, etc. Ask about apre air drying system for the shower (like a body length hand drier so they can dry themselves after showering) and toilet with facility for washing and warm air drying of perineal area. Mr I had one, and it really helped to maintain his dignity and independence. Don't be fobbed off with the cheap options your dad needs the best available. If I can help, let me know.
              hi thank you for this information, my dad is getting the bed hoist and also a bed guard as he falls out of bed , my mum has already said she wants the shower because she is very nervous of the chair and to be honest I don't think it will be suitable for them , my dad has Parkinson's and his balance isn't good .

Thanks again

Comment

It is so annoying that the authorities do not willingly and voluntarily divulge this information to genuinely help those who need it. It is the disabled person themselves (often not fit enough to do it) or their carers and loved ones who have make all the running.

regards
                G

Comment

I used to work for the local council as a home carer, and you could tell the families that shouted loudest, they had all the best disability Items, and the little old dear with no family had to cope as long as they could till 'FUNDS' became available. even if we requested Items we were told " can't you manage for a while longer"
                  If I went to a new client and found there was no aids in place I used to tell their family to go to the local disability center to find what was available ( I worked there for 2 years) and then call social services and tell them they needed help with this or that. Sorry but some social workers are brainless and if you don't know whats out there and tell them you don't get.
                  Its changed a bit now and someone normally calls after a Dr referral, but they try and go for the cheaper option.

S2M hope all keeps going well

Comment

Hi S2M

So glad things seem to be moving for your parents and the your Dad's meds are getting sorted out....we can tell that you seem a bit happier now your Dad is able to speak and walk again its heartbreaking having to watch and care for someone you love so much deteriorate before your eyes...especially when a simple adaptaion of meds can make things better.

Don't give up on the Shower room as it took months for us to get approval from council.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Muddled View Post
                      Hi S2M

So glad things seem to be moving for your parents and the your Dad's meds are getting sorted out....we can tell that you seem a bit happier now your Dad is able to speak and walk again its heartbreaking having to watch and care for someone you love so much deteriorate before your eyes...especially when a simple adaptaion of meds can make things better.

Don't give up on the Shower room as it took months for us to get approval from council.
                      Thank you , last night was the first nights sleep in ages even hubby said he slept well so it has taken a lot off my mind, yes we are going to push for the shower

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
                        I used to work for the local council as a home carer, and you could tell the families that shouted loudest, they had all the best disability Items, and the little old dear with no family had to cope as long as they could till 'FUNDS' became available. even if we requested Items we were told " can't you manage for a while longer"
                        If I went to a new client and found there was no aids in place I used to tell their family to go to the local disability center to find what was available ( I worked there for 2 years) and then call social services and tell them they needed help with this or that. Sorry but some social workers are brainless and if you don't know whats out there and tell them you don't get.
                        Its changed a bit now and someone normally calls after a Dr referral, but they try and go for the cheaper option.

S2M hope all keeps going well
                        thank you, well we can certainly shout in our family : so we are going to go for as much help as possible and I am finding out about lots of things on here which would benefit my parents

Comment

update, my parents now have hand rails and another stair rail, this happened about a week ago but with the upset of losing my cat and getting the new kittens settled I haven't had time to update this thread. they also have a bath chair but they cant get on with it , my dad is too unsteady to use it and cant work it properly so there is someone coming round today to see what they can suggest next, my mum said she is willing to pay for a walk in bath because she doesn't like showers so hopefully this will be the next thing on the agenda .

My dad has been for his check up at the hospital for his Parkinson's and they agree he isn't as well as last time and they are assessing him for some medication for his memory because they can't just give him this medication as my dad has had a triple bypass in 2005 so they need to assess him first .

He is a lot better now though and we just celebrated my mums 80th which was really lovely .

Comment

Happy Birthday to Mum, so glad things seem to be getting better x

Comment

thank you NW x

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X