GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Son stopped by police/over driving limit - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Son stopped by police/over driving limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied
    Re: Son stopped by police/over driving limit

Originally posted by di30 View Post
    They did not follow my son, but flashed their headlights at him, for him to pull over on the other side.
    So that's a Highway Code violation too?

(What is the meaning given in the Highway Code for flashing headlights? A: All it means is, "Here I am".)

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

What I have been reading into is the fact that with these hand-held speepometers, there supposed to be quite a distance taken from car to car, and what baffles me is the fact that the porch was ahead of my son, and why did the police not do anything about that one?? beats me.
    That's easy to understand.

The plods knew they couldn't catch it.

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
    If it is proven to be sent to the wrong address then you'd not be held liable Di however of course you are free to ring and check for updates anyway - worse case get them to fax you a copy, if no fax I can sort you a secure number to allow faxes that will go to your email as we have a fax-email service on our new site anyway

Best of luck

Thank you Niddy

I know I am going on about it now and I'm that type I will not settle until its resolved lol.
    I was a born worrier .

With never having to deal with these issues before not that everyone else has lol, but just want to be prepared just in case.

Golly he has caused me a lot of worry hasn't he?

Thanks Niddy, that is useful to know cheers for that x

Leave a comment:

• Never-In-Doubt
    replied

If it is proven to be sent to the wrong address then you'd not be held liable Di however of course you are free to ring and check for updates anyway - worse case get them to fax you a copy, if no fax I can sort you a secure number to allow faxes that will go to your email as we have a fax-email service on our new site anyway

Best of luck

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Getting the facts together slowly lol.

The police were parked on the opposite side, my son in middle lane and the Porshe driver on the outer lane who passed my son with a speed.

It was pitch black because early hours of the morning, so no lighting.

Police parked on opposite side, aiming the hand held speed gun towards the oncoming traffic. Bear in mind, that time of night/morning just my son and the driver of the above stated car.

They did not follow my son, but flashed their headlights at him, for him to pull over on the other side. They must have done the speedo reading from their unmarked car, because if they had not flashed the headlights my son would not have known they were there. Also because of overhanging trees.

The police were in an unmarked vehicle, but not exactly in view.

When asked my son got out, they said he was over the limit, my son did not say anything but they did show the limit of approx 88mph, although my son swears it was not touching 75mph on his speedo, but did not say anything.
    They checked his car, all ok, called him over to their car opposite road, asked to see his licence where they obviously check for insurance details etc, all ok there.
    Not tested for drinking though as already stated, even though he hadnt been drinking anyway.

They read his rights.
    My son does not know how their procedures work, and did not say of his concerns, or of the speeding car that passed him, my nephew who works for the police did say my son could have said something after being told of the NIP, but my son did not know what this was.

The one officer said to the other that, as he was going over the limit, there is a course we feel would be more beneficial for him, which is called a Young Drivers Awareness Course and should hear something within 28 days.

Now I understand if he is accepted for a course, he should receive the relevant acceptance by 14 days as from when the offence taken place, so this should therefore be next Monday 1 November then.

And wouldnt this be called something called Notice of Prosecution? (NIP)? That must be served by 14 days give and take a day or 2 or it can be void? (Going by the info read on the site AMES posted above).

I worry for the fact that they may change their minds.

As said many times above (LOL) we shall see what the letter brings, another worry I have is that the post is awful where I live, because of the similar addresses, and its often known that our post go to the next street of the same door number as ours, but they are away for 6 months.
    Despite writing, ringing and emailing the Royal Mail for some years to complain it still happens.

So if this happens we are not to know what is going to happen and further penalties may apply.
    Last edited by di30; 25 October 2011, 18:24.

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Originally posted by pixie View Post
    Beats me too Di.

Don't get yourself worked up. I know us mums do all we can to protect our kids but this isn't worth making yourself ill over.

I have been caught speeding using one of these hand held cameras before. I'm almost sure that the letter gives the reading. It's quite a while ago now, the points aren't on my licence any more.

I know it's annoying as it seems like your son is getting in trouble for something he hasn't done but I'm not sure if he can do anything about it. There may be cameras on the road which may show the speeding Porsche but, unless it's a motorway or extremely busy, I doubt it. If he wants to query the speeding he may be throwing away the chance to do the course, leaving himself open to getting the points.

I think I'd just wait and see what the letter says when it comes (or maybe Google to see if there's a forum where you can post a question and get a reply from people more knowledgeable on this than us - there probably will be.)

Thank you honey.

Sorry about your issues as well and glad to know all is clear now.

I know what you mean though about the chance of a course, however, that's if they don't change their minds in the meantime of the course.

There was only himself and the Porshe on the road, as it was early hours of the morning, my son's SAT NAV played up and he got lost with being almost 3 hours away after a road diversion, although he admits putting his foot down more than usual, but not to that extreme, wrong I know, but am wondering if it was the case they also pointed the gun at the Porshe and it made matters worse for my son who followed on after him.

Thank you xx
    Last edited by di30; 25 October 2011, 15:14.

Leave a comment:

• Pixie
    replied

LOL folks

What I have been reading into is the fact that with these hand-held speepometers, there supposed to be quite a distance taken from car to car, and what baffles me is the fact that the porch was ahead of my son, and why did the police not do anything about that one?? beats me.
    Beats me too Di.

I seem to be getting myself worked up and confused.
    Don't get yourself worked up. I know us mums do all we can to protect our kids but this isn't worth making yourself ill over.

As I've not seen my son much since the incident because of his work and always busy after work, but he said I got it all wrong, he said his speedo in the car did not even show 75 and its the police said it was the higher one, which is why I am thinking if an error in the speed has been made with another car that was in front of him.

He said there was approx 40 to 45 seconds between him and the porch, where if the police did come up a reading on the porch it would have been far higher then it came down but not all the way down by the time my son passed them.

The thing is he did not speak up to them because he didn't think he could!

I am getting into a muddle, but still waiting for the letter and see what that comes back with.
    Never been in this situation before folks, does anyone know if the letter gives the readings of the speed?

Thank you.
    I have been caught speeding using one of these hand held cameras before. I'm almost sure that the letter gives the reading. It's quite a while ago now, the points aren't on my licence any more.

I know it's annoying as it seems like your son is getting in trouble for something he hasn't done but I'm not sure if he can do anything about it. There may be cameras on the road which may show the speeding Porsche but, unless it's a motorway or extremely busy, I doubt it. If he wants to query the speeding he may be throwing away the chance to do the course, leaving himself open to getting the points.

I think I'd just wait and see what the letter says when it comes (or maybe Google to see if there's a forum where you can post a question and get a reply from people more knowledgeable on this than us - there probably will be.)

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

LOL folks Porshe then, told You I couldn't think straight lmao x

I seem to be getting myself worked up and confused.
    As I've not seen my son much since the incident because of his work and always busy after work, but he said I got it all wrong, he said his speedo in the car did not even show 75 and its the police said it was the higher one, which is why I am thinking if an error in the speed has been made with another car that was in front of him.

He said there was approx 40 to 45 seconds maybe less, between him and the porshe, but that car passed him in the other lane, where if the police did come up a reading on the porch it would have been far higher then it came down but not all the way down by the time my son passed them.

The thing is he did not speak up to them because he didn't think he could!

I am getting into a muddle, but still waiting for the letter and see what that comes back with.
    Never been in this situation before folks, does anyone know if the letter gives the readings of the speed?

Thank you.
    Last edited by di30; 25 October 2011, 15:15.

Leave a comment:

• Pixie
    replied

It would depend on the thief (or thieves.)

If he was really clever (like you) it could be just one pile of bricks, or it could be one pile per axle or one pile per wheel. Take your pick.

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied
    Do porches have wheels?

Originally posted by pixie View Post
    Of course they don't CC. They may well have roses climbing up them or indeed thatched roofs, as you pointed out.

However, I think you'll find that most Porsches do - unless of course the wheels have been stolen and the said Porsche is standing on a pile of bricks.
    Only one pile of bricks, or one pile per wheel?

Leave a comment:

• Pixie
    replied

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
    Oh, indeed. Most porches don't even have any wheels.
    Of course they don't CC. They may well have roses climbing up them or indeed thatched roofs, as you pointed out.

I'd have been more interested in that speeding porch and how well its roof was constructed - i.e. were any tiles loose or was the thatch intact?
    However, I think you'll find that most Porsches do - unless of course the wheels have been stolen and the said Porsche is standing on a pile of bricks.

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Originally posted by Ames View Post
    If you want to find out more about the legalities, pepipoo is the place to go, the experts there know everything.

OOh thank you Ames, will take a looksie now x

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

I'd have been more interested in that speeding porch and how well its roof was constructed - i.e. were any tiles loose or was the thatch intact?

LOL CleverClogs, what you like? x

Leave a comment:

• Ames
    replied

If you want to find out more about the legalities, pepipoo is the place to go, the experts there know everything.

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X