GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Son stopped by police/over driving limit - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Son stopped by police/over driving limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied
    Re: Son stopped by police/over driving limit

Originally posted by di30 View Post
    Manager
    I doubt that he could adequately manage the proverbial in a brewery.

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Thanks folks.

I am looking more into this before the Conditional offer comes through.

But if my son was not eligible, the 2 officers should have known there and then and not asked my son if he would accept the course.

My son said "yes of course I will go for the course" and they even stated that it would be the best appropriate action to take instead of fine and penalty points.

Anyway, I do realise that certain speed limits will not apply, but again why did the officers offer this and NOT issue him with a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN)?

In my opinion they did not follow the procedures correctly.

Even though the 3 points and the £60 is better than anything bigger, but a course would definately have been better, as he is young, and I am annoyed with the fact it was offered and now withdrawn.

And the letter also stating that they refer to the recent Fixed Penalty Notice???? he never brought no notice home just a leaflet as said earlier.

Copy of letter below.....

Dear Sir

I refer to the above Fixed Penalty Notice which was recently issued to you.

I note you were offered the opportunity to attend a Driver Education Course in respect of this Notice. However, the scheme is only available if specific criteria are met.

Unfortunately, the speed recorded does not meet the criteria for the offer of a workshop to be made to you.

A conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty will therefore be sent to you under separate cover. You are then required to submit both parts of your driving licence and payment of £60 with the completed Conditional Offer document to the above address. Your licence will then be endorsed with three penalty points and returned to you.

You are advised that if you wish to dispute the offence and not make payment, you should allow the Conditional Offer and subsequent reminder letter to expire. Consideration will then be given to placing the matter before a magistrate for the area in which the offence occurred.

Yours faithfully

Manager
    Last edited by di30; 28 October 2011, 15:37.

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

The letter he received says at the start, that "I refer to the above Fixed Penalty Notice which was recently issued to you"

He never had one, the only thing they gave him was the leaflet about the course, they never mentioned anything about this at all, and only that a course would be more appropriate.
    I understand that they can withdraw, but what's all this about the Fixed penalty notice, when he wasn't given one?
    Baffling.
    One might suppose that the Thames Valley plods will make more money from imposing the fixed penalty than they would by getting commission or a referral fee from the course provider.

I expect the FPN would state that a Fixed Penalty had been imposed of £120 but, if it was paid promptly, he would only have to pay £60; that 3 penalty points would be added to his licence and that he should send it to the idiots at the DVLA to endorse and/or lose; and that he had the right to be tried on the alleged offence if he so wished. It would not state that the discount on the full penalty would be lost if he chose to fight it, nor would it tell him only to use Special Delivery when sending anything to the DVLA.

Leave a comment:

• Pixie
    replied

?

Is there a number he can ring because it seems like someone's cocked up somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Update and am upset but its the law and thats that.

Despite this not being mentioned on the time he was pulled over, a letter arrived today and they are unable to offer the course, so its £60 and 3 penalty points, just have to wait for the conditional offer now.

The letter he received says at the start, that "I refer to the above Fixed Penalty Notice which was recently issued to you"

He never had one, the only thing they gave him was the leaflet about the course, they never mentioned anything about this at all, and only that a course would be more appropriate.
    I understand that they can withdraw, but what's all this about the Fixed penalty notice, when he wasn't given one?
    Baffling.

Also posted on the motoring site but just wanted to let you folks know the update. Cheers.
    Last edited by di30; 28 October 2011, 12:31.

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Thank you again AMES.

Yes I have posted a few posts over there and its very interesting.

Just posted another now to ask if they know how long it takes for the details to be recorded on the police database.

Leave a comment:

• Ames
    replied

There are strict timescales and if things aren't sent within them then it's a valid defense. A bit like a different industry we know of, except better regulated.

The people over at Pepipoo will guide you every step of the way, they're for motoring what Niddy is for debt. I think now you just need to forget about it until (if) he gets paperwork.

I don't think they can just send him on a course though, he should have a choice between that and the points. And if it's anything like the course I did, there's a huge choice of dates and times, I think you just have to pick one within a couple of months of getting the letter. I was caught in mid-October and did the course in early January.

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

LOL what you like

My son said the 2 officers were very outgoing, friendly enough and had some humour.
    Was told they were probs both in late 20's, young uns.

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

Interesting CleverClogs.

The reason why I asked is because I had this checked today by another dept who deals with Speed awareness and they asked for my son's details with licence details and up to now they said nothing on the police database.

Here.......

I have just checked the details on the police database, as yet it is not on there but I will check the details periodically and should they pop on there I will get back in touch, when his details arrive from the constabulary please let me know.
    Perhaps the plod is experiencing some difikult ... diffikul... problem with the complicated paper-work?

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Interesting CleverClogs.

The reason why I asked is because I had this checked today by another dept who deals with Speed awareness and they asked for my son's details with licence details and up to now they said nothing on the police database.
    A company below checked for me.

http://www.ttc-uk.com/speed_awareness.htm
    Here.......

I have just checked the details on the police database, as yet it is not on there but I will check the details periodically and should they pop on there I will get back in touch, when his details arrive from the constabulary please let me know.

Last edited by di30; 26 October 2011, 19:22.

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

Wonder how long it takes to go on Police Database after speeding??
    One would hope it was almost instantaneous, as some of those caught speeding may just have committed a bank robbery.

However, that is less likely at 2am on a Sunday morning.

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Wonder how long it takes to go on Police Database after speeding??

Here.......

Last edited by di30; 26 October 2011, 19:15.

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

Was told over "pepipoo" site, as my son was not actually issued with a Fixed penatly fine, and was only given a leaflet then he should not be issued with a "Notice of Prosecution" (NIP), but should still recieve the letter soon in regards of a course.
    I posted up the copy of a leaflet they sent him home with, as attached below.
    Thank you - if nothing else, it shews how illiterate are even senior policemen. For example, courts do not "award" penalties, but may impose one (or more).

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Was told over "pepipoo" site, as my son was not actually issued with a Fixed penatly fine, and was only given a leaflet then he should not be issued with a "Notice of Prosecution" (NIP), but should still recieve the letter soon in regards of a course.
    I posted up the copy of a leaflet they sent him home with, as attached below.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

LOL

Been posting on the site AMES posted above as wel "pepipoo" interesting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X