GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script NHS Exemption - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHS Exemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHS Exemption

Hi after a bit of advice please.

My partner and I have not received our NHS exemption cards this time around (last 6 monthly expired end Oct) and having a look at the flowchart it seems this is because at our last tax credits renewal we no longer claimed for child tax credit for the 1st time.

My partner has to have regular medication albeit she is not claiming disability of any sort so this is going to get quite expensive. Are there any reductions for regular medications she can claim ?

As a separate issue my son who is 23 get's the disability element for WTC on his own (he has Aspergers/severe OCD) and lives with us. Is there anything we can claim for him without it affecting his payments ?

Thanks in advance

Re: NHS Exemption

There are medications that qualify for exemption, I have rheumatoid arthritis and the medication I take for this can only be prescribed every four weeks so it was costly.

However, I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid and the medication for this is qualifies me for free prescriptions for ALL medication I need now and in the future. I've also developed another illness which would be exempt from fees had I not already been exempt.

I have a certificate that is valid for 5 yrs which has to be renewed but I will be on my meds for the rest of my life unfortunately.

Your GP should have this information but I am sure you would be able to find out with a bit of research on google.

Comment

Hi- If you are not claiming for children now then you don't get the exemption certificate . If you are on a low wage you can apply for free or reduced help. If you give tax credits a call they will give you information on it and what form to get . You won't get the card even if you qualify - it is a paper award .

Comment

Originally posted by lookingforward View Post
        Hi after a bit of advice please.

My partner has to have regular medication albeit she is not claiming disability of any sort so this is going to get quite expensive. Are there any reductions for regular medications she can claim ?

Thanks in advance
        Just to clarify, it's not necessarily related to any claimed benefits, I work full time and don't receive any benefits. My certificate is purely down to the condition I have.

As I said before, check with your GP.

Comment

Thanks to you both, hope you're feeling OK Mary

Comment

Several metabolic diseases such as hypothyroidism, diabetes, addison's disease, and certain other conditions that leave you open to other illnesses or deficiencies, enable you to have free prescriptions. If the disease reverses (very rare) then you lose the free prescriptions. Cancer and other illnesses do not count as they do not affect the whole body at cell level. Info on the NHSBSA Prescription Web site.

Comment

If you can't get any exemptions but need to pay for numerous prescriptions,loo at pre payment. http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/PPC.aspx
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by julian View Post
                Several metabolic diseases such as hypothyroidism, diabetes, addison's disease, and certain other conditions that leave you open to other illnesses or deficiencies, enable you to have free prescriptions. If the disease reverses (very rare) then you lose the free prescriptions. Cancer and other illnesses do not count as they do not affect the whole body at cell level. Info on the NHSBSA Prescription Web site.
                I don't understand that as it's definitely wrong! I was diagnosed with cancer 3 years ago and I have a medical exemption from prescription charges for 5 years (and that's all prescription charges not just the cancer drugs.)

The NHSEngland website says:
                Prescription charges for cancer patients were abolished on April 1 2009.
                Exemption certificates will be issued to those applicants who, in their doctor's judgement, are receiving treatment for:
                • cancer
                • the effects of cancer, or
                • the effects of current or previous cancer treatment

Guidance about the extension of the list of medical conditions has been issued to doctors. It includes guidance on who the new medical exemption is intended to cover.
                If you're on a low income you can get help with prescription and other NHS costs ---> http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...me-scheme.aspx
                Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

There has always been controversy over this. Not all cancers are covered, as 'in their doctor's judgement'. If you have melanoma, you have cancer. Different grades of melanoma, e.g. a single mole or compete invasion of organs. Likewise polyps vs full-blown bowel cancer. If you have the mole or polyp successfully removed, you no longer have cancer.

With endocrine diseases such as diabetes, hypothyroidism etc the exemption is permanent. There is currently no cure, but even when the disease is managed with either synthetic and/or natural hormones, there are many side issues e.g. fibromyalgia, blood disorders, loss of sensation, sensitivity to light - and contraindications.

Comment

I hope I no longer have cancer as I had a lumpectomy in 2013. Maybe it's because I have an annual review appointment for five years.
                    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Working...
                    X