GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Attachment to Benefits - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attachment to Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachment to Benefits

When I took a loan out with a credit union. They mentioned that if I ever fell into arrears that they would obtain an attachment to my benefits to recover the loan. I am going to be defaulting on the loan in the nest couple of months it looks like and was just wondering if they can really do this for an unsecured debt?

Re: Attachment to Benefits

No. To get an AoE they must first take you to court and obtain a CCJ which you then must default on and only then could they *apply* - unlikely it'd ever occur tbh. Just do what you gotta do.

edit - See my next post.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

As far as I know only certain priority debts such as benefits overpayments can be deducted from benefits at source, eg Benefit overpayments, not non priority debt.

Claimants and/or creditors can also apply for third party payments direct from benefits themselves, for essential debts such as utilities, council tax and Child support arrears.

Do you have that in writing about attachment to benefits, and if so what exactly does it say?

Elsa x

Comment

Oh yes - there's the ELDS (2013) now.

That changed things slightly. See here -> https://www.gov.uk/government/public...duction-scheme

Well spotted Elsa. Forgot about that bugger
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the link..I couldn't find it

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up for me. It looks like I will be living on bread and water for a while then

Comment

The Credit Union have to make every effort to come to an affordable agreement with you before they can apply to the DWP, Ian.
              Even then the DWP aren't forced to agree to the deductions if it doesn't leave you with enough to live on.

It would be better to try and come to an agreement for token payments with them yourself; there's a very good online financial statement provided by Nedcab here: https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/quickfs.asp

If you want to fill that in and email me a copy I can check it to make sure you claim all your allowable living expenses.

Elsa x

Comment

Thats some good news then. I'll fill the form out nearer the time and contact you then if ok?

Comment

Absolutely fine
                  My email is in my signature x

Comment

Working...
                  X