GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Greenham Common and Nuclear Power - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greenham Common and Nuclear Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenham Common and Nuclear Power

Hi Everyone

I have been looking into how the first women (and men) decided to make a stand against the nuclear missiles destined for Greenham Common in the 80's. A small group walked from Wales to Newbury to protest against the missiles.

I just wondered if there are any members on here who were part of the peaceful protests or even lived there for a while?

Conversely were any of you part of the armed forces, what was your pov?

I must admit I am not fond of the Gov's new 'wonder fuelled nuclear power stations' idea. They are not clean and they produce toxic waste and once the nuclear power stations are decommissioned they pose the problem of contaminated land and future leaks like at Dounreay (sp?) not so long ago.

I would be really interested in hearing the views of those involved at Greenham either side of the fence, and the views of those affected by living near nuclear power stations.

PS if you haven't guessed then I am an Eco-feminist but all views are welcomed.

Re: Greenham Common and Nuclear Power

prior to all that period, 60s I was part of the armed forces, in a Nuclear ICBM Regiment, we were there as a deterant to the cold war era,no deterant then would of meant possible world domination by 2 countries/? after a few years we stood down and reverted to normal Gun role, and other countries took over the deterant capacity, on leaving I joined part time the Royal Observer Corps (who in those days monitored and readied for possible nuclear war, also the aircraft spotting side as well), for a few years until change of job stopped me being able to continue as worked late hours. So having a deterant stopped luckily any real conflict, look what happened to Japan that finished the 2nd World war, and all those people in Japan, mind you look to the figures the Japanese killed during that time,? have to keep an open mind on this subject.

Prior to that time, I was about to go on weekend leave and got to the guardroom only to be told to return to billet and await further orders, I was told I and 4 others were on standby to go to Fort lauderdale america to join an artillery unit as the Russians were trying to set up Missile Bases in Cuba, the world was awaiting and hoping events would not lead to WW111, luckily the Russians turned the ships around and we were stood down by the next Tuesday and sent on that so called weekend leave., Real time emergency.
    Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 16 December 2012, 17:12.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Re: Greenham Common and Nuclear Power

Wow, you see you never really know what happens behind the scenes and half of the time the man in the street is fed a load of bull by the media.

And look at Russia now . World domination is a scary thing and it doesn't have to mean world domination by taking over particular countries by force, it can be done more subtly like the International financial system. It didn't take much for the toxic debts to affect the whole of the world and even when some countries seemed to be getting off unscathed they are now beginning to suffer.

It's amazing how close we can be to a major disaster and not know it.

mrs b xx

Comment

Working...
      X