GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script 5p Carrier Bag Chaos - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5p Carrier Bag Chaos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5p Carrier Bag Chaos

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: 5p Carrier Bag Chaos

Originally posted by 5corpio View Post
    haha - social experiment went wrong
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

^^^^

Tesco plastic bag use 'down 80%' since 5p charge

More ----> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35013520
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Little know fact, and actually a piece of law people are unaware of, is if the shop/supermarket displays their brand name on the carrier bag, it is illegal to charge you for it, since you are advertising their services. I haven't tried testing this as yet, but every single supermarket and the government are breaking the law by making you pay 5p for a bag that has the shops brand name stamped on it.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
          Little know fact, and actually a piece of law people are unaware of, is if the shop/supermarket displays their brand name on the carrier bag, it is illegal to charge you for it, since you are advertising their services. I haven't tried testing this as yet, but every single supermarket and the government are breaking the law by making you pay 5p for a bag that has the shops brand name stamped on it.
          Let see if we can get some more info on this .............

I'm all for paying 5p for a plain white bag

Comment

And some people would rather not "advertise" where they shop, anyway!

I don't object to being charged 5p/carrying a bag for my food shopping but it is being charged for a bag for clothes and other stuff, e.g. Christmas presents,toiletries, etc. which irritates me, especially as this is often an "impulse" buy. Although the posh clothes shops get round this by using heavy duty paper bags, usually quite stylish. And no-one minds being seen carrying a bag with a posh name on it - not that I shop there! Oh, and Primark give away paper bags, too - the other end of the spectrum. And if they can afford it, at their prices ....

Comment

Boots, debenhams - they're all charging. What a joke Xmas shopping. It just feels wrong walking out of a shop with shit loads of clothes - unbagged.

Then i heard primark give free bags as they're paper. So went there to buy socks to get a big bag free. Nuts really.

The bird in boots tried telling me paper bags weren't great when it's wet. Of course, the yanks haven't used paper bags for the last 30 years. Noooooo. #dipshit
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                Debenhams and others are now using plain white bags at 5p or 15p for a sack size.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                  Boots, debenhams - they're all charging. What a joke Xmas shopping. It just feels wrong walking out of a shop with shit loads of clothes - unbagged.

Then i heard primark give free bags as they're paper. So went there to buy socks to get a big bag free. Nuts really.

The bird in boots tried telling me paper bags weren't great when it's wet. Of course, the yanks haven't used paper bags for the last 30 years. Noooooo. #dipshit

In certain parts of the Far East at least one day is paper bag day and your shopping will be in a paper bag, groceries included = a Wednesday of I remember correctly!

Comment

in Scotland everyone has to charge, only exceptions being prescription drugs and butcher meat(because of cross contamination). You get used to it but I do know someone who was charges £2500.05 for a wedding dress, the 5p being for the cloth bag it came in, she was not a happy bunny! Paper bags are not exempt in Scotland, Primark have to charge. I just have two nylon bags coiled in the bottom of my handbag all the time and the boot is full of reusables.

in England small shopkeepers with under 250 staff in total don't need to charge so should only affect chain stores and supermarkets, you can still just do your local shop and get bags, I know this cos I've done it.

Comment

Primark are paper and free ,I try not to pay to advertise shops I will pay for plain xx
                      if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by MrsD View Post
                        in Scotland everyone has to charge, only exceptions being prescription drugs and butcher meat(because of cross contamination). You get used to it but I do know someone who was charges £2500.05 for a wedding dress, the 5p being for the cloth bag it came in, she was not a happy bunny! Paper bags are not exempt in Scotland, Primark have to charge. I just have two nylon bags coiled in the bottom of my handbag all the time and the boot is full of reusables.

in England small shopkeepers with under 250 staff in total don't need to charge so should only affect chain stores and supermarkets, you can still just do your local shop and get bags, I know this cos I've done it.
                        Yea I know - it's always been tight in Scotland, we tested Poll Tax before the English did too

--> http://carrierbagchargescotland.org.uk/

Comment

I was surprised that a large Indian supermarket in Hounslow town centre gives away bags. Like in Wing Yip they pack the goods and seem to use more than I would. They are xxxxx times stronger than Tescos, So if ever you are passing the range and quality is surprising for the price.

Comment

Working...
                          X