GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script UK to allow driverless cars on public roads in January - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK to allow driverless cars on public roads in January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK to allow driverless cars on public roads in January

The UK government has announced that driverless cars will be allowed on public roads from January next year.

It also invited cities to compete to host one of three trials of the tech, which would start at the same time.

In addition, ministers ordered a review of the UK's road regulations to provide appropriate guidelines.

The Department for Transport had originally pledged to let self-driving cars be trialled on public roads by the end of 2013.

Business Secretary Vince Cable revealed the details of the new plan at a research facility belonging to Mira, an automotive engineering firm based in the Midlands.

"Today's announcement will see driverless cars take to our streets in less than six months, putting us at the forefront of this transformational technology and opening up new opportunities for our economy and society," he said.

UK engineers, including a group at the University of Oxford, have been experimenting with driverless cars. But, concerns about legal and insurance issues have so far restricted the machines to private roads.

Other countries have, however, been swifter to provide access to public routes.

Read more click here — > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28551069
    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Re: UK to allow driverless cars on public roads in January

Will just encourage people to do silly things like using phone, putting on makeup, reading papers etc when they should still have there eyes on the situation

Comment

My car old had park assist, it was only used once by myself, there is something very weird about trusting your car to park for you. I didn't pay for it on this car, I prefer to do it myself, however I'm test driving a new one this Saturday, god knows what it will have on it.

Comment

I am not so sure having satellites and GPS drive you will take off as people they driving themselves

Comment

IF its using similar or same tech as sat navs (all be it more advanced versions) I cant see it working in built up areas the same way.

If you have ever tried to use your Sat Nav in the heart of the west end, say around Westminster you will find, it doesn't work! too many high rise buildings blocking your signal.

While its a great idea, I can see it being restricted to open areas and will probably die of death very quickly unless the technology improves.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
          X