GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script How to defend yourself against the 'two-week' attack - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to defend yourself against the 'two-week' attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to defend yourself against the 'two-week' attack

Alarming news from the UK's National Crime Agency (NCA): you have "two weeks" to protect yourself from a major cyber-threat.

The warning came as the FBI, in partnership with authorities in several countries around the world, shut down a network of criminally operated computers that were stealing important information from victims' machines.

But since that announcement, which directed concerned users to a website which promptly crashed for more than 15 hours, many BBC readers have been in touch wondering what they need to do to stay safe on the internet.

Here's an at-a-glance guide — > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27681236
    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Re: How to defend yourself against the 'two-week' attack

Just ask Riz on how to stay safe.....
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

This has all come about since anonymous declared reset the net day on 6th June. This is all scare tatics. Just like the millennium bug.

Nothing is going to happen. Unless you are the type of person who downloads things from untrusted sites, then you will be fine.

Most antivirus software will pick up the threat long before it happens anyway.

But reset the net, is actually anonymous response to securing internet data, using SSL on websites to encrypt data, and spreading the word that basically, if you encrypt your internet, it will stay free from prying eyes.

those websites found venerable, will be attacked to shown they need to secure their data.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

It's always been the case that if you download or open dodgy stuff/emails, sooner or later you are going to get your windows computer severely messed up or your data snaffled, ID stolen, etc etc.

Big media fuss about nothing that much out of the ordinary, trying to find something else to worry about now that the OpenSSL vulnerability is not as much as headline as it was.

Comment

Working...
          X