GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Patient Care: GPs Have Got An App For That - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patient Care: GPs Have Got An App For That

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patient Care: GPs Have Got An App For That

GPs are to "prescribe" smartphone apps to patients to help them manage their own health.

The Department of Health says the technology can put patients in charge of their medical records, and help them manage chronic conditions such as diabetes and hypertension. More than 500 apps were nominated as part of a competition run by the NHS. The most useful and popular have now been included on a shortlist that doctors will be encouraged to recommend to patients. One app, called Patients Know Best, allows individuals to take control of their medical records and make video calls to doctors. It was created by Mohammad al Ubaydli, who has a rare genetic disorder that leaves him vulnerable to infections.

He told Sky News: "It is a one-in-a-million condition and there are lots of doctors involved in my care. "I had to keep updating them on my treatment, so I thought I should take control of my records and then share them as needed."

A third of medical records contain errors. Most are trivial, but some, such as drug allergies, are serious. "The best person to spot mistakes is the patient," he said. The most popular app was Moodscope, which helps people monitor their state of mind and alerts friends, family or health workers if they are feeling low. The Diabetes App reminds people when to check blood sugar levels and take medication. It also records and tracks readings, which can be sent electronically to their clinic for monitoring....Read more here:--- Health Apps: Smartphone Applications To Be By GPs | Technology | Sky News
    Last edited by Flowerpower; 22 February 2012, 10:25. Reason: Linky wasn't linking
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.
Working...
X