GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script JD Williams / What do I do? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JD Williams / What do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JD Williams / What do I do?

Hiya

Ok, try sending this to JDW and see what happens, send it recorded delivery (orange sticker thing) as this provides proof of postage.

As the next payment is not due until the end of january now, and we're trying for account balance write off, leave it set-up but keep me reminded and update me no matter what, a week before the DD is due then we'll move things along if necessary.
    Dear Sirs,

Ref: xxxxxxxx

I write with reference to previous communication and in particular your unlawful methods in which you're charging customers of the Group.

I won't go into detail regards the past too much but suffice to say, you've messed me about now for months and even after a recent charges reclaim, you feel it proportionate and acceptable to do the exact same thing all over again which is actually in direct breach of varying guidance, none moreso than your own terms & conditions.

The OFT also have guidance which clearly stipulates what a lender can and cannot do, and charging a customer twice in the same billing period for the same thing is not acceptable and thus is a direct breach of OFT Guidelines, something I am happy to take to the Ombudsman which as we both know will see you hit with a £500 mediation fee.

This complaint relates in particular to the events leading upto and after the refund of charges, whereby I have tried unsuccessfully to set up a regular payment plan to clear the balance of £118. This culminated in agreement that I would pay £20 via Direct Debit on the 26th of every month. I was happy with this, and figured that for 6 months I could afford this thus agreed to it.

Now, the problem arose in October 2011 whereby you tried to claim this £20 on the 21st - the 21st was a Friday, however being the payment wasn't due until the 26th; i.e. the following Wednesday, I felt I would be fine paying the £20 into that account a few days before - not so it seems as you tried to take the payment 5 days early.

So, you make some more unlawful threats and we agree to try again on 26th November, which for the record was a Saturday - meaning in line with the Direct Debit Guarantee, this payment should not have been requested until at least Monday 28th November 2011. However I am saddened to say that you also attempted to collect this debit 5 days early, also on the 21st.

Now this wouldn't normally be an issue but it is when it costs me and I can see you're taking advantage thus my letter today, deal with this properly and finally or I'll see you in court because I am sick of the way you're treating me and it must stop immediately.

The Direct Debit Guarantee protects our interests and is clear where it reads
    "If there is a change in the amount to be paid or the payment date, the person receiving the payment (the originator) must notify the customer in advance."
    Therefore what makes you think you have the right to try and collect a direct debit on the wrong date twice, in succession then try and charge me for the privilege of your mistake? It's not only bordering illegal it's also quite outrageous!

You had no right to try and take this payment 5 days early two months running, no right whatsoever and as a result I do not acknowledge nor do I accept any late charges as a result of your failed attempts to collect because on the 26th on both months in question, I can provide proof from my bank that there was £20 in the account ready for your Direct Debit. It's not my fault that your systems are set up funny, that's an issue you'll need to address with your IT department.

So, as things stand I agree that my balance at the start of this fiasco was £118, I have since made a £20 standing order payment in December 2011 meaning my balance stands at £98. I am unwilling to pay this £98 due to the reasons and general nature of my complaint shown above, and for the following;
    • I was charged twice by my bank for the 'bounced Direct debit' at a total cost of £40;
    • You are in direct breach of the Direct Debit Guarantee and never gave me any notice of collections, let alone advance notice;
    • As a result of the hassle and consequential losses incurred by myself

As you have tried to claim two separate amounts on the wrong dates, and as I have suffered a financial loss as a result, in the interests of reciprocity, I require that you not only reimburse me for this loss but you also make a payment of an additional fee per aborted transaction equivalent to that which you impose on customers for default, in order to reimburse me for the costs of my forced manual intervention. This currently stands at £24 per month as charged by you, therefore this is a £48 basic charge without consideration of compensation.

Interestingly enough I was told by someone at JD Williams that you collect every 28 days, well unfortunately for you I never authorised more than one payment per month, and if you operate on a 28 day cycle this would mean two DD payments would be due at least once per annum, which would be a direct breach of our agreement and your own terms and conditions. I am perfectly within my rights to make 12 monthly payments if I so wish - it is not for you to dictate my payment dates to me, but more to accommodate my chosen payment dates. If for any reason I am unhappy then I am free to cancel the Direct Debit.

You cannot make your own laws I am afraid. Now, to settle this matter amicably I suggest an offer of recompense by JD Williams in the region of £250 plus account write off in totality. The reasons for this amount are shown above and failure to accept my very generous offer will result in formal complaints being sent to your bank for your direct debit abuse of process, the OFT for the same plus to highlight your breaches of their own guidance, a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman with due consideration of legalising things in order to draw matters to a close.

Unfortunately you have upset the wrong person and tried to take advantage in the worst possible way. I am more than happy to complain to the Financial Ombudsman who has, for the record, a whole section on their website related to abuse of Direct Debit and 90% of the complaints are upheld toward the customer, certainly where the creditor has attempted to deduct funds earlier than agreed.

Failure to acknowledge and accept my generous offer of account closure will result in said complaint being submitted to the Ombudsman in due course.

I look forward to hearing from you within 14 days. Do not fob this off into the 60 day escalation queue as if I do not get an actual apology, agreement and general response within 14 days then I will progress matters to the regulatory bodies.

Yours faithfully,

Sign Digitally
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

So from the above you'll see I am trying to get account write off PLUS a £250 payment sent to you directly as a result of their abuse of process etc....

I dunno how they'll feel about this but it's still cheaper than the £500 FOS mediation fee so it'd be in their interests to settle as the FOS will also award £250 for such instances, if successful which you should be, based on what I have read.

Anyway, good luck - no phoning them, if they ring get off the phone and get it in writing lol. Fail security - anything but do not converse with these guys.

Keep me updated
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Nice one!

Comment

Thank you Niddy

It's quite the letter I must say lol.

I'll get this off first thing and keep you updated, thanks again for the hard work you have already put in for this

Comment

You'll be fine, point here is if they do not pay up then they'll be worse off regardless as the FOS will sting them and stand by your complaint, based off their recent DD complaints whereby collecting early results in the consumer being awarded the verdict from the FOS..... if we need to chase them/make more threats then i'll start to quote them for you - right now the DD Guarantee itself is all you need to hind behind, they are wrong, you are right.

Simples.

Best of luck, keep me updated

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
              So from the above you'll see I am trying to get account write off PLUS a £250 payment sent to you directly as a result of their abuse of process etc....

I dunno how they'll feel about this but it's still cheaper than the £500 FOS mediation fee so it'd be in their interests to settle as the FOS will also award £250 for such instances, if successful which you should be, based on what I have read.
              Indeed, but one should not expect those numpties to act logically.

Anyway, good luck - no phoning them, if they ring get off the phone and get it in writing lol. Fail security - anything but do not converse with these guys.
              Tell them that you've gone out, or that you're a burglar, or that you're Napoleon (and only speak to them in French), or sing to them...

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                Indeed, but one should not expect those numpties to act logically.
                Well yea so we'll probably have to chase them like - but hey, lets see. Maybe the FOS will scare them off a wee bit, regardless this has clear grounds to formalise the FOS recourse which I strongly suggest we utilise unless JDW at the very least, write off the debt in totality.....

Tell them that you've gone out, or that you're a burglar, or that you're Napoleon (and only speak to them in French), or sing to them...

Comment

You'll be fine, point here is if they do not pay up then they'll be worse off regardless as the FOS will sting them and stand by your complaint, based off their recent DD complaints whereby collecting early results in the consumer being awarded the verdict from the FOS.....
                  All the Shop Direct catalogues collect DDs on a 28 day cycle. Happy New Year by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Henryhatter View Post
                    All the Shop Direct catalogues collect DDs on a 28 day cycle.
                    So what?

That just means they're trying to use a 13 month year.

Comment

All the Shop Direct catalogues collect DDs on a 28 day cycle. Happy New Year by the way.
                      I know, read my letter - as I (and CC above) point out - tough

There is also the DD Guarantee which is clear where it states (niddy version) "If we change the payment or date we must notify you at least 10 days before the change"

They never. They lose.

Comment

There is also schedule 1 of the Interpretation Act 1978 (link) wherein it is clearly stated that 'month' means 'calendar month' - and has done since 1850!

Comment

There is also schedule 1 of the Interpretation Act 1978 (link) wherein it is clearly stated that 'month' means 'calendar month' - and has done since 1850!
                          Yes but within JDW terms it does state that you need to repay every 28 days so that argument is futile, however the DD Guarantee does NOT work like that (ie revolving dates) thus we can only argue this at this stage, as technically they were correct in their terms to say they collect payments every 28 days on a rolling cycle but just forget to compare it against other legislation and guidance that defines and restricts what they "want" from what they "wish".....

Comment

Yes but within JDW terms it does state that you need to repay every 28 days so that argument is futile, however the DD Guarantee does NOT work like that (ie revolving dates) thus we can only argue this at this stage, as technically they were correct in their terms to say they collect payments every 28 days on a rolling cycle but just forget to compare it against other legislation and guidance that defines and restricts what they "want" from what they "wish".....
                            You are clever

Comment

You are clever
                              If only that were true dear!

Comment

Hi Niddy. Here is the information you requested for Fashion World.

My last payment was 26th Dec 2011 to the amount of £20 via Standing Order
                                Balance as of winning my charges back was £160.85 on 6th August 2011
                                Balance as of 3rd January 2012 is £234.57 so charges of £73.72 added to date.

Comment

Working...
                                X