GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Help Needed. MBNA redress calculations Do you have two spare stamps - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Needed. MBNA redress calculations Do you have two spare stamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help Needed. MBNA redress calculations Do you have two spare stamps

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
    I forgot about .177 air rifles, TC. I never owned a gun (not even a spud-gun), but I believe the .177 pellets travelled faster, due to their smaller calibre - and therefore they hurt more if you got hit !!! I was in the Air Cadets (ATC) for a few years, and we often fired .22 & .303 firearm rifles with 'live' ammo on the ranges - which was a thrill for us youngsters. The .303's were scary, as the bullets were huge and the guns were deafening (no 'pansy' ear-protectors back then) - and on the bus back home from the .303 firing range at Pirbright, the rugby songs were terrible, because we could hardly hear each other !!!

Yes - do please send me a copy of the spready, Matty. Anything which blows Turbo's mind interests me - which is probably why I enjoyed discussing guns recently - LOL !!!
    I promise not to slag it off, because the more I have learned about spreadies over the past few years - the more I have realised how little I know about them - and the real Excel experts are awesome. I'll check out your HSBC thread, too. Perhaps you could attach it to a PM, or an email it to me at:

Simiantics@gmail.com

You are right Bill:- the pellets were small and my Mother eventually worked out why the apple tree had so many dents and lead in it! clip ear again, yet on leave from the Army that tree survived years later, 303 .22 & 7.62 also 9mm, smg all my weapons in service, some Bisley targets etc. when I was not working in the Butts!
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

LOL @ working in the butts - I forgot about 'butt duty,' with its dubious connotations. As I recall, we were supposed to hold a pointer up to show the shooter where they hit the target. As I recall - if the shooters were from a disliked squadron - we would point to the outer ring, anyway !!! I can't remember what we pointed to for a complete target miss. I got the ATC marksman's badge (on .22's) - but never managed the RAF badge on .303's, as the recoil scared me hitless.

I see you know your guns then, TC. I applied to join the RAF as a 'Brylcreem Boy' (aircrew) in 1969/70, but was rejected by aircrew selection at Biggin Hill. They invited me to re-apply as ground crew, but I said I wanted to fly the damned kites - not grease the engines !!!

Comment

Just to keep this thread updated.

Another two letters from FOS yesterday saying they are still looking at MBNA's methods and they are sorry for the length of time taken to look into this. Take as long as they want (well maybe not hundreds of years) as long as the conclusion is the bank has chosen on purpose not to follow the regulators handbook with one sole intention in mind. To reduce the payouts to thousands of customers who were missold this useless product.

I am viewing this as positive as if we were totally wrong we would have been told the banks do not lie and cheat and rip customer's off because there is no such thing as a bent banker.

Again thanks to everyone who supported us back in march

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
          LOL @ working in the butts - I forgot about 'butt duty,' with its dubious connotations. As I recall, we were supposed to hold a pointer up to show the shooter where they hit the target. As I recall - if the shooters were from a disliked squadron - we would point to the outer ring, anyway !!! I can't remember what we pointed to for a complete target miss. I got the ATC marksman's badge (on .22's) - but never managed the RAF badge on .303's, as the recoil scared me hitless.

I see you know your guns then, TC. I applied to join the RAF as a 'Brylcreem Boy' (aircrew) in 1969/70, but was rejected by aircrew selection at Biggin Hill. They invited me to re-apply as ground crew, but I said I wanted to fly the damned kites - not grease the engines !!!

.22s &.303s then 7.62mm Used 7.62 in the Yemen mid 60s & my old close quarter SMG, the Captain use to grab my 7.62 and shove the 9mm pistol under my nose whilst I was driving the Mine plated land rover, be honest he had more chance seeing as I was driving and the pistol I could grab without fuss if under fire, (The Captain was an ex RSM) got me out of the shit by some young matlow officer @ HMS Sheba on one occassion when I told the Captain to leave my coke bottle alone, that was before I realised the Captains meeting had finished early and just saw a hand grab my cold drink, the Matlow officer lambasted me for talking to an Officer like that, the Captain told the Matlow chap he would of done the same if I crepted up behind and pinched his drink, he then asked the Matlow Officer would he like to join us and go back thru the Dessert roads? the Matlow officer saluted and moved fast (for a Matlow). ha hah

another case comes to mind on exercise in Germany when we were expecting a New Battery Commander (Major), and walking back thru position to my area from cook tent, I heard a voice from Command Post "XXXXX" get the cookies, my response was " Oh! No Not Him" oopppssss and old Battery commander from Boys service, but the best part was behind me was the RSM who heard it all and started bollocking me for speaking to an officer for that, luckily the Major came out and stated you have not changed xxxxx it is ok Sgt Major we go back a long way, and he should of thought about shouting at me unaware, stick hit my leg from RSM ( so ok), the Major also served in Cyprus/Malaya etc with my oldest Brother. it happens.
          Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 30 July 2014, 14:25.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by ken100464 View Post
            I am viewing this as positive as if we were totally wrong we would have been told the banks do not lie and cheat and rip customer's off because there is no such thing as a bent banker.

Again thanks to everyone who supported us back in march
            Indeed, Ken - they don't appear to have completely ignored this issue or 'pooh-poohed' it, but some of us are wondering if they might be just hoping it will simply wither and die if they let it drag on long enough. On the positive side, Vicki McAusland's 2nd paragraph implies that they might possibly be putting together a much larger operation to include the recent publicity regarding the non-inclusion of PPI-attributable charges & costs in redress calculations. I would also like to see them addressing the fact that the recent CPP redress ruling does not include CPP-attributable account interest and/or charges in the CPP redress - causing many CPP redress offers to be way below the FCA guidelines for PPI redress.

May I also add my thanks to those who supported our campaign to get the calculation methods looked at seriously by the FCA.
            Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
            Used 7.62 in the Yemen mid 60s & my old close quarter SMG, the Captain use to grab my 7.62 and shove the 9mm pistol under my nose whilst I was driving the Mine plated land rover...
            Max. respect from me, TC - you were doing the real thing - I never did military service. You must have some tales to tell !!!

Comment

Two letters from FOS; Vicki McAusland dated 24 July 2014, were received by myself and another.

I noted the second para relating to the recent media coverage!

They couldn't really just ignore the power of the press, could they!?

All eyes on the FCA/FOS...

Comment

Indeed, AC. It has become quite conspicuous over recent years that the media are effectively (perhaps very effectively) doing what the FOS & FCA shouldhave been doing - policing the financial industry. Perhaps as you have implied, they have realised that they themselves are being scrutinised by the media and the now 'wised-up' public - and that they cannot just sit at their desks playing Sudoku (or is it spelt 'Sod u im ok' ?)

Comment

http://news.sky.com/story/1326806/pp...en-2-5m-claims

- - - Updated - - -

http://news.sky.com/story/1326806/ppi-scandal-lenders-to-re-open-2-5m-claims

Comment

Well spotted, AC. Let's hope that this includes the MBNA (mis-)calculations - and those of other lenders (who may yet need to have the whistle blown on them, if they have slipped under the radar as regards being ordered to review their redress offers). I'm sure Ken and others will be interested to see what Mr Wheatley's pronouncement really means. Here's hoping...

Comment

I note they say in regards of under-compensated refunds this just goes from 2011...2012, I bet this would also be the case for many millions prior to that date as well.

I'm so glad this approach will be taking place though, about time too, FCA seem a little stronger than the FSA, well they seem to be pushing more IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                        I note they say in regards of under-compensated refunds this just goes from 2011...2012, I bet this would also be the case for many millions prior to that date as well
                        I am privately hoping that perhaps the FCA has taken decisive action over the MBNA PPI redress offers made in the last 2 years, and has ordered them to review all claims during that period. I'm guessing that the 'focus' on the low rate of claim upholds during that period is perhaps just a nifty way of side-stepping the fact that the FCA had no idea whatsoever what MBNA were up to, and were effectively caught with their trousers at half-mast. If this is the case, then I suppose we should be pleased that they have acted, and perhaps we should allow them the opportunity to avoid embarrassment.

What appears to have happened is that MBNA has used some clever 'smoke & mirrors' to make its calculations unfathomable to anybody, whilst at the same time using psychology to hoodwink PPI claimants. They appear to have devised a method to calculate PPI redress that invariably offers much less associated interest than the FCA rules prescribe, by side-stepping the primary calculation examples, and abusing a further set of FOS examples regarding individual credit card repayment 'patterns.' They then appear to have made very rapid offers of redress that literally stunned claimants - who were expecting the usual, well-documented, war of attrition. As a result, I believe that many, many claimants simply "took the money and ran" - and MBNA got away with millions in low claim payouts as a result. There were probably less MBNA claims coming in to the FOS as a result, so the statistics would show that there were less MBNA claims being upheld - simply because there were less MBNA claims being submitted. They say you can do anyfink with statistics, and what I think would have been a more meaningful gauge is to look at the actual percentage of submitted claims that were upheld - not just the raw number itself.

As regards under-compensated claims prior to this period, my guess is that it will be up to each individual claimant to try and get their claim reviewed, and most will probably just leave it - rather than face yet another uphill struggle for a very uncertain reward.
                        Originally posted by di30 View Post
                        I'm so glad this approach will be taking place though, about time too, FCA seem a little stronger than the FSA, well they seem to be pushing more IMO.
                        Indeedy, Di. Mr Wheatley has certainly "Talked the Talk" - so let's see if he really is prepared to "Walk the Walk," now. Only time will tell, I guess. Perhaps his distant relative Dennis gave him some tips...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil_Rides_Out

Comment

Has any member on AAD received the Vicki McAusland letter that took her almost 8 months to write. But clearly showed that she hasn't got a clue and has totally missed the point!?
                          The letter was fired off to the MBNA mass complainants on 29/09/14.

We are NOT impressed, thus preparing our presentation that will be submitted to the Press shortly.

Comment

AC indeed I have.

As you completely missed the point

Comment

I received mine today. A 3 page missive that I have yet to digest when my stomach settles down. What does strike me is that she took the trouble to send out a 3-pager, as opposed to yet another single paragraph holding letter. But to me, the bottom line is that we seem to be getting little or no evidence that the 2.5 million claims to which Martin Wheatley referred are actually being reviewed - and reviewed fairly.

I don't wish to seem confrontational, but Ken - could you let AC, myself and others know what was the point within Ms McA's letter ? I'll probably get there after my third reading, but it seemed as though she was relying upon the FOS's 'PPI resource' page about Full & Minimal repayment habits to me. If so, then I guess we need to get back to that argument about definitions as regards "Consistent," etc. I'm not sure that anyone within the FOS or FCA has any idea how PS10/12 Appendix 2 Example 6 works.

Comment

Letter received here too.

Comment

Working...
                                X