GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script probable repossession - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

probable repossession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: probable reposession

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
    If it was me I would also give the lender your Landlord's correct address with proof - it should be on your tenancy agreement. Northern Rock (and the court) will then have to consider whether the court summons for possession papers have been served properly on him if he hasn't received them The lender will argue that they served them at his last "known address". But they "know" a new one for him now don't they
    hmm that throws up an interesting point! the LL moved about a month ago and i don't know their new address, so NRAM certainly don't know it!

Comment

Looking at the actual form, the N244 may be fit for purpose if you look at it:

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.u...rms/n244_e.pdf

Can I make a suggestion? Why not phone the court and ask them what you should do or which form you need to complete, they should know.

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
        Looking at the actual form, the N244 may be fit for purpose if you look at it:

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.u...rms/n244_e.pdf

Can I make a suggestion? Why not phone the court and ask them what you should do or which form you need to complete, they should know.
        that's a good idea..i'll give them a call tomorrow. thank you xx

Comment

You already have excellent help re the court and what to do but with regard to the deposit, you can check the 3 deposit registries to see if it has been lodged with them then if its not which like you I suspect will be the case, you could withold the rent for a month or until it is protected BUT send a letter recorded delivery to the last address you have for the landlord and put the money in a savings account so that you can be seen to have put it aside rather than just not paying it. That way IF it got raised as a point in court you could say that it is there waiting for whoever as and when the deposit is lodged.
          You would need to hold it to cover a period prior to the court case as the court may tell you that the next rent payment after that should be paid to the court or NRAM.
          Definitely let the court know and it could well be worth sending a copy direct to NRAM with a letter setting out the circumstances so that they are aware of whats going on. I have a mortgage with them and they were very reasonable to deal with on the phone when I had things I wanted to discuss with them.

Good luck with it, hope you get more than a few months to stay there, since properties are not selling well yet its very possible that they would rather have your money than a debt that they know is unlikely to be paid by the landlord especially if its just the rent that they are receiving.
          When you have nothing you have nothing to lose

Comment

Can't give any advice either Conf but you've got my support matey and sending you a big hug
            Last edited by IF; 28 December 2011, 22:58. Reason: carp spellin'
            "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Susie View Post
              You already have excellent help re the court and what to do but with regard to the deposit, you can check the 3 deposit registries to see if it has been lodged with them then if its not which like you I suspect will be the case, you could withold the rent for a month or until it is protected BUT send a letter recorded delivery to the last address you have for the landlord and put the money in a savings account so that you can be seen to have put it aside rather than just not paying it. That way IF it got raised as a point in court you could say that it is there waiting for whoever as and when the deposit is lodged.
              You would need to hold it to cover a period prior to the court case as the court may tell you that the next rent payment after that should be paid to the court or NRAM.
              Definitely let the court know and it could well be worth sending a copy direct to NRAM with a letter setting out the circumstances so that they are aware of whats going on. I have a mortgage with them and they were very reasonable to deal with on the phone when I had things I wanted to discuss with them.

Good luck with it, hope you get more than a few months to stay there, since properties are not selling well yet its very possible that they would rather have your money than a debt that they know is unlikely to be paid by the landlord especially if its just the rent that they are receiving.
              thanks for your advice...a few things for me to think about there. I've got quite a few calls to make about this tomorrow The rent is actually due the date of the court hearing, i'll be hanging onto it until i know who it should be paid to. I'm going to ring around the deposit x3 people and see if it's help in a scheme. Thank you xx

Originally posted by If... View Post
              Can't give any advise either Conf but you've got my support matey and sending you a big hug
              ahh thanks matey x

Comment

Re: probable repossession

Hi confused,

Sorry this is not my scene at all as we have only lived in rented accomodation once and that was over 40 years ago now,

Hence don't really know the ropes. Hope all works out well for you and you know if there is anything I can do just shout.

regards
                Garlok

Comment

Thanks Garlok...

Well i thought i'd keep this thread updated today as i make various phone calls, you never know it might be useful for someone else in the future (although i hope not!)

I rang the court, i do need to fill out form N244 and get that sent in. He said that at that court hearing bailiffs wouldn't be instructed, that would be at a later date, so we might have a bit more time than we thought (although still not what we want eh!)

I've rung the 3 deposit protection schemes and none of them have a deposit registered for me (surprise surprise!)

I'm off now to try and get some further advice. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread x

Comment

Very best of luck, confused. Will be thinking of you today and hope that things work out okay. Shitty end to the year for you, so heres hoping 2012 gets better
                    If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

I guess your main priority now is doing your best to protect your deposit. It looks like a word with your landlord may be in order. Do you have a formal tenancy agreement, or was it an informal agreement?

Comment

thanks Diddles.....x

Well i've just been on the phone to a solicitor who gave me some advice on the phone, and i also now have an appointment with her 4th January to go through things in more detail.

She basically said that i need to let the lender know that i live in the property and also that i should attend court on the day of the repo hearing! She said that because the LL doesn't have a buy to let mortgage then NRAM don't have to honour our tenancy agreement. However, if we attend court then the judge can see that we are risk of being made homeless and might give a 28 repossession order rather than an outright one.

She said if i go in on the 4th she will tell me what i need to do and say in court. I have to say that i really don't want to get involved and go to court, but the LL has put me in this position and i haven't got any choice.

It took me ages to find someone who would speak to me (CLS want to know exact bank balances and partner's income etc, answerphone on at CAB, CCCS will only advise if it's your own mortgage, the council are permanently engaged and so on!) She was very helpful, i'm just now dreading having to go to court, especially if the LL turns up!

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
                          I guess your main priority now is doing your best to protect your deposit. It looks like a word with your landlord may be in order. Do you have a formal tenancy agreement, or was it an informal agreement?
                          I've got a formal tenancy agreement...the rent is due the day of the repo hearing so i'll be hanging onto that until i know who to pay! I can see the deposit going up in smoke

Comment

Have you got someone that can go with you for support?

Remember, you have done nothing wrong, so please don't be nervous. The landlord might be struggling, but has taken and kept your deposit and put you in this position (okay so we don't know his circumstances, but it certainly isn't your fault!) so you have every right to battle for your home.

The reality is, you won't be living there forever, but you need all the help you can get right now - you have to put yourself first. Hopefully the lender will also be kind to you and possibly allow you to stay.

So many possibilities, so don't torture yourself, just do your best and what will be, will be.

xxx
                            If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
                              Have you got someone that can go with you for support?

Remember, you have done nothing wrong, so please don't be nervous. The landlord might be struggling, but has taken and kept your deposit and put you in this position (okay so we don't know his circumstances, but it certainly isn't your fault!) so you have every right to battle for your home.

The reality is, you won't be living there forever, but you need all the help you can get right now - you have to put yourself first. Hopefully the lender will also be kind to you and possibly allow you to stay.

So many possibilities, so don't torture yourself, just do your best and what will be, will be.

xxx
                              Mr C will come with me, i won't be on my own thankfully. I know this sounds ridiculous but i feel guilty that i'm going to have to blow the LL up to NRAM! Especially when you consider that we might not see the deposit again. I know i'm being daft...especially when we're the ones being made homeless not the LL. get a grip conf

Thanks, your post really helps. You're right, we haven't done anything wrong, we've always paid the rent on time and we've looked after the place.

I suspect the LL has given up on the place as they haven't been to pick their post up for weeks and i've told them there is important looking letters for them.

I'm going to do something else for a few hours xxx

Comment

I'm happy you've now got a solicitor on board. Will you get Legal Aid for this advice? Also most county courts have a Duty Solicitor hovering around on repossession days who can also help you for free. Get to court an hour early for the hearing and tell reception that you need to speak to him/her they will arrange this, and you may be able to have them represent you at the hearing for free (they are subsidised by CLS). Even if you only get an adjournment it could take another month or more to get the case re-listed which buys you more time.

The law is firmly on your side on the deposit issue. The LL will legally owe you three times the amount you paid and that is that. You can only apply to the court for this (use www.moneyclaim.gov.uk) while you are in the property so do it before you leave. If you don't pay next months' rent then you won't have lost anything unless your deposit was for 6 weeks money, but you can claim that all back on top of the 3 months' penalty

Did you take the flat through an agent because if you did they may have a duty of care towards you too. You would probably have paid an admin fee at the time which entitles you to some protection over how the deal was set up. You could have a case of breach of contract if they messed up. All agents have to get the LL to provide concrete evidence that they have permission to let a property from their lender. If the agent failed to do that then they're in big trouble. Did you pay your deposit over to the agent with the initial rent? If so then they are definitely involved! There is a Property Ombudsman Scheme www.tpos.co.uk where you can refer a complaint against the agent and seek financial compensation and the service is free just like the FOS only a lot more efficient

I would put my energy into tracking down the LL current address because once NR know where he lives they would have difficulty in ignoring that information and trying to get possession without his involvement

What date is the hearing?

Comment

Working...
                                X