GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Dad's council tax - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dad's council tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad's council tax

Yet again I'm sorting out my dad's stuff.

Last Thursday (8th) he got a letter from the council saying that he'd missed paying an instalment of his council tax and, as it was the second time he'd missed, he'd lost the right to pay in instalments. They wanted the remainder of the year's council tax (£500+) paying by the 11th (Sunday) I know they're supposed to give you 7 days to pay but a letter dated 4th, received on 8th and to be paid by 11th isn't giving 7 days to pay imo.

I don't know why he doesn't pay it by DD, maybe an age thing, but I've convinced him that it would be a good idea. He tried to phone them but couldn't get through. I've emailed on his behalf (giving all the relevant info including his National Insurance number) but I haven't heard back yet.

What is the process now? The letter mentions costs/charges of "up to £400" which is ridiculous when he only owes them £18!! The letter gives a link to how the bailiffs calculate their fees (it's also on the reverse of my council tax bill) but it's an out of date link.

Any suggestions please?
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Dad's council tax

Computer generated most likely. Hopefully a human can sort it out.

Comment

Definitely phone and explain dads age, if possible pay missing instalments and ask for dd details
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I have a rather unexpected update for this. I emailed the council and when they replied they attached a letter of authority which I had to get Dad to sign. I scanned it and sent it back by email then yesterday I received an email saying that they had underpaid my Dad's Council Tax Support which means that he is now paid up to the end of the financial year and he's getting several hundred pounds transferred into his bank account They have also underpaid his housing benefit so he is very much in credit with the housing association. He's going to get in touch with them to see about having that repaid to him

Comment

What a great update, now lets hope they carry on paying at the correct rate and he sets up a direct debit so it does not happen again. Sounds as if he needs to let you loose on more of his accounts if that is the result you get
          When you have nothing you have nothing to lose

Comment

Originally posted by Susie View Post
            Sounds as if he needs to let you loose on more of his accounts if that is the result you get
            That's what I'm trying to do Susie. I've already got him to send a cca request off for his Barclaycard and now I'm working on his house insurance. Apart from getting him a lower quote I'm going to go for miss-selling as he has cover for things he doesn't have and has never had.

Comment

Pixie warrior Queen, go get em xxx

Comment

That's great news pixie, keep fighting!

Comment

good result Pixie, glad to hear that some councils actually read letters and sort stuff out.

when we moved here, they took so long to sort out that we nearly lost the right to pay in installments, not because we hadn't paid just because they were "allegedly" short staffed and couldn't process the change of name etc.

I sorted that one out with a wee phone call, it really gets exhausting eventually.

Good luck with your Dad's stuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X