GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Photo taking mad - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photo taking mad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photo taking mad

Absolutely amazing pics

Comment

Right all you papparazi types, I would appreciate some help if you can please.

I have a simple Panasonic Lumix LZ10. I have experimented here photographing documents (typically black text on white ground) and it seems to work OK even hand held. No flash though.

However I am working on a little engineering project for myself and I have been given access to an archive to do my research which surprisingly is in magnificent order EXCEPT the blueprints are all microfiched, i.e. black ground with white lines and shiny of course.

I can have a licence for six pounds per day from the Archive Service to photograph any documents I want to inspect and study. Does anyone have any tips as there 54 documents I would like to get my hands on to do all my own drawings for the project.

I would be grateful of any tips or help. By the way I really am not into photography but do manage some piccies of the models I make from time to time and holiday pics when I think about them.

regards
      Garlok
      Last edited by garlok; 1 August 2011, 16:46.

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
        However I am working on a little engineering project for myself and I have been given access to an archive to do my research which surprisingly is in magnificent order EXCEPT the blueprints are all microfiched, i.e. black ground with white lines and shiny of course.

I can have a licence for six pounds per day from the Archive Service to photograph any documents I want to inspect and study. Does anyone have any tips as there 54 documents I would like to get my hands on to do all my own drawings for the project.
        There are three ways round this:
        1. photograph the drawing as projected onto a flat surface or screen; use a sturdy tripod as the light level will be quite low.
        2. make - or get made - your own positive images, using reprographic (line) film and developed with a high contrast, high pH developer containing only hydroquinone as the developing agent.
        3. if you can use a scanner, some models of Epson scanners (and other brands) can scan cut sheet film.

By the way, what is the engineering project?

Comment

Thanks CleverClogs. That may be a way to do it. I design and make Narrow Gauge rolling stock and locomotives for garden railways and this is for a coal fired version using a little used boiler design in this field but used extensively in the prototypes.

A lot and I mean a lot less money than designing things to kill my fellow humans more efficiently but it is a lot more fun. Usually I build everything from scratch as well which adds to the satisfaction.

regards
          Garlok

Comment

Garlok,

Can you email one of the blueprints to me and Ill have a go at scanning for you and trial the result ?

Comment

Hi PF,

Thanks very much for the offer. Unfortunately these microfiches are kept in cold storage to ensure they don't deteriorate and I have to give notice of when I want to view any of them. They are than brought out 24hours before hand and brought slowly up to room temperature in a controlled environment.

I am not allowed to take them off the premises at all and I book a place in a reading room which is secured by the way to do my studies and only pencils and notebooks/pads are allowed as writing materials plus laptops and cameras if the daily license is paid for. This does have magnification facilities but no copying. Registration as a "reader" is free and the service in general is very good. Most of the people there in the reading rooms are doing family history type research although one guy was doing some old map research to undermine one of those silly planning applications that seem to get made these days.

I had looked around for one of those little desktop scanners that rolled across documents that were around in the 80s, however I gleaned the information from a number of forums that these are no longer available from any manufacturer, the one I had was Logitech.

Hence my query about simple digital photography. I do have a down level version of "photoshop" that I use quite a bit and as long as the data is basically there I can usually extract what I need or enough to give the bones and I can extrapolate the rest. The quality as such of the image really is not over relevant.

For someone like me the availability of this material and this archive service (basically free to boot) is like having a lot of Christmas's all at once. My only problem is that it is about a 120mile round trip so I have to ration my enthusiasm a bit.

regards
              Garlok

Comment

Silverback on here is a wis with photo enhancing he did a fantastic job with an old black and white photo I had so he maybe able to do something with the images you take.

Worth a PM to him m8

Comment

Thanks PF. I'll have a go, see what they are like and pass them on to him.

regards
                  Garlok

Comment

Rated No1 by the gadget show:
                    Create your own photobook/canvas etc (software download and create offline in your own time and then upload........
                    Linky: Photo books - Photo album - Photo calender | Albelli.co.uk
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

One does not have to own a Hasselblad to use Phocus - link.

Comment

i'll show the OH, as she got a Mac...........iphoto looks good.
                        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

My son, the one with special needs is still constantly taking photos, but this year wants a camcorder for Xmas for at least 10 to 12 hours filming lol, we managed to pick up a package deal for him and saved some money.

What he wants to film for that long beats me though.

Comment

How to take stunning Pictures:
                            Tips

this was on last year, and back on again (i've seem to have missed the last 4 episodes)

Tonight: CH 5 7.30pm 06/12/11
                            Web Linky:
                            How To Take Stunning Pictures | Channel 5

Comment

hello everyone.

been a while since i have been about. mid christmas i suffered a massive heart attack and the sandman nearly took me away, stress and money worrys tbh. well i have my heart op in a couple days,and thought i would leave you guys with something special.

this shot was taken two days before i nearly lost my life. and has inspired me to become astronomer/ astro photographer.

the shot is called Moon in Color and has been adjusted so it shows true color to the human eye. the darkish blue areas are basalt rock, the red/orange hues are iron rich sand and moon soils. hope you all like it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Wow awesome pic.

Sod the pic; how are you?
                                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X