GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Niddy moving to Ubuntu - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Niddy moving to Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Niddy moving to Ubuntu

Ace! It is nerve wracking, but I love the whole process, and ending up with a squeaky clean system.
    It's like having crisp new bed linen on

Comment

It is.

Well, installed the basic system OK, and Windows 7 survived and still boots.

Just have to get it all set up to suit myself now. It's only when you come to do that, that you realise how much you've changed/added/tweaked on the old system. It will take quite a while to get the new one working just how I want it.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
        Like what Phil?
        Want something i can get my hands dirty on..instead of a shiny frontend

Comment

Originally posted by philnicandamy View Post
          Want something i can get my hands dirty on..instead of a shiny frontend
          So a more basic desktop environment?

Or you could make things more interesting by running the development build Quantal?

Or maybe try one of the distros where you basically install the system from source and build it from the ground up? Arch linux I think is a good one of those?
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

pretty much rizzle yep....i'll have a read of your suggestions when i've a clearer head...things all over the place for now

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
              Just have to get it all set up to suit myself now. It's only when you come to do that, that you realise how much you've changed/added/tweaked on the old system. It will take quite a while to get the new one working just how I want it.
              Well, had a few hiccups with that which are now ironed out.

Mainly that the graphics card/chip on this new laptop didn't want to play nicely. Had issues whereby on closing the lid or resuming from suspend, the screen would not come back properly and just displayed a black/white banded mess.

You quite often get some such teething problem installing linux on very recent hardware, as linux developers normally have to play catchup to get the OS/software running well on the new hardware once it's release. Compared to the Windows case where the manufacturer has developed them in tandem.

However, catchup on common hardware is very quick in most cases.

Here it simply meant upgrading the linux kernel to the current new version's release candidate, at which the problems went away.

Comment

Working...
              X