GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Niddy moving to Ubuntu - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Niddy moving to Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Youtube Game

Being thick here, how do I load it after I wipe the HDD? I mean, I would need to load an OS prior to downloading and installing surely? lol, sorry am not good at this sort of thing as I am windows only (trained)!

Do I burn the download as an ISO file or bootable partition or something?

I'll move these posts to a new thread yea?
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Re: Niddy moving to Ubuntu

Easiest thing is to burn the iso as a bootable CD.

Then boot from that as a live session .ie. running the OS from the CD/DVD

Doing that, you can check the thing works under linux. Most things will, but some drivers like wireless can be a problem in some cases.

Then, if things seem OK , you install.

Installing should be as simple as selecting the CD at start-up.

You then partition the disk to give you "root" (system) partition and a "home" (user files) partition. I always do that as if I have to re-intall the OS for some odd reason, then I can do that without wiping the whole disk.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

^^^ Thanks mate

Gulp! I best do this when you're online one day me thinks - just in case
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

you'll be fine!

(i've been a kubunto user for a little while now...taking steps to upgrade to something else in the next few weeks)

...like the media player rizzle!

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
            Niddy shakes his head in disbelief that you lot have time for this nonsense
            Is Ubuntu up the Zambezi?

That's to stop Marlin finding you, right?

Comment

We have used Ubuntu in this household for ages, all systems have it and windows loaded... and pending on what we are doing is what OS we run.

I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
                We have used Ubuntu in this household for ages, all systems have it and windows loaded... and pending on what we are doing is what OS we run.

I love it!
                I thought Niddy had had enough and was thinking of emigrating.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
                  Me too helmsman!!
                  "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
                    Originally posted by IF View Post
                    Me too helmsman!!
                    I'm saying nowt.

Comment

I still have Vista on one of these 2 laptops, but rarely ever use it. Just k/ubuntu 99.9 % of the time.

If I do want to use Windows programs there are a couple of options.

There is WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and Mac OS X in which some programs work very well. Others less well.

Or you can run Windows entire in a Virtual Machine with Oracle VM VirtualBox
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by philnicandamy View Post
                        you'll be fine!

(i've been a kubunto user for a little while now...taking steps to upgrade to something else in the next few weeks)

...like the media player rizzle!
                        Like what Phil?

Comment

You can run vlc player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html on Linux.

That beast plays practically everything and is free

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                            You can run vlc player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html on Linux.

That beast plays practically everything and is free
                            Indeed it does. I use Clementine for music, and VLC mostly for video.

Audacious is also a good music player if you want something with a "simpler" GUI.

Install Audacious 3.3 In Ubuntu 12.04 [PPA] ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog

Comment

I have to use sandbox a bit so thats why I stay windows more..

Comment

Just installing dual Win7/Ubuntu boot on brand new laptop.

Always a little nerve wracking.

Sitting watching it install hoping for the best.

(restore disks at the ready in case it goes t**s up)

Comment

Working...
                                X