GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Lappy changed the size of itself :-( - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lappy changed the size of itself :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lappy changed the size of itself :-(

Thank you so much for that simple explanation Shep (or should I say Undercover Elsa!) it solves everything for now (I hope it helps Always too)

I switched Windows Updates back on after reading your post and all hell broke lose My main problem seems to be the laptop can only do one task at a time so while it's busy updating everything else runs slow or not at all so I couldn't even log back into AAD to thank you

I've changed the settings to get back control and it will notify me when there's an Update ready but I get the option to say "No". I'm back in charge now Mr Vaio I say "Mr" because only a male computer wouldn't know how to multitask
    Last edited by PlanB; 30 July 2012, 11:55. Reason: Shep's username change

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
      Trouble with that PlanB is when you turn it back on it will install all the accumulated updates at once, which is even more likely to cause problems!
      More importantly, the updates are necessary to keep your pc safe from trending threats.
      I think windows does an automatic system backup before more significant updates, but if you want to play safe you can set your update preferences to download and inform you they are ready, without installing them.
      Once it does that, go to system restore and set up a new restore point before installing the updates.
      That way you can roll back if they cause problems, and then refuse those particular updates when they download again.
      Me like this idea

Comment

Depends too whether you have it set to automatically install ALL updates rather than just "essential updates".
        I always reviewed updates before installing on XP, and just installed the essentials. In many years of using XP I only ever had an update problem when I let it do optional updates on drivers, as far as I can recall.
        Windows 7 is far more stable..I wish I'd upgraded sooner.

Comment

Working...
        X