GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Lappy changed the size of itself :-( - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lappy changed the size of itself :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lappy changed the size of itself :-(

Comment

Prob shouldnt admit this, but my work pc hasnt had a windows xp update in about 10 years.

Fastest PC in the house, so that says it all really! lol
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
        Prob shouldnt admit this, but my work pc hasnt had a windows xp update in about 10 years.

XP was and is a very stable platform, XP3 is needed to run a lot of new software but if it suits you as it is then that's good. In fact the XP machine is very rarely switched off.
        Last edited by vossy; 13 July 2012, 18:42.

Comment

Aaaaaargh! useless piece of whatsit did it again!! Only this time I was in the middle of doing something and it flickered, went black, and came back all the wrong size.

There is now a pop up though : it's titled cwindows\system32\cmd.exe
          and displays in a black box:
          cprogram files (x86)\asus\asus live update\temp\33>setup.exe - uninstall

Oh FFS, that box went and now it says:
          cprogram files (x86)\asus\asus live update\temp\33>start /w setup.exe - install

HELP!!

Comment

Sounds like a startup program attempting to update specifically an Asus one.

You can disable it via msconfig but a download called ccleaner will work well and is simple to use.
            I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

This sounds like a case of a fight between Asus Live Update and Windows Update and if that's the case then I would suggest you forget Asus and let Windows do your updates.

The chances that your drivers are going to cause an issue are slim, unless you've already had driver issues; excluding this one of course! I just mean the drivers are going to function just fine and Windows will alert you if there is a problem.

I would go into Control Panel and remove the Asus update software. I had it on a couple of desktops and removed it for similar reasons.

When you perform a Windows Update it will also check for driver updates and I find letting the system run this way will generally offer a smoother ride. Admittedly if you're a techie, which you admit you are not, then manual updates of drivers can have its advantages.

HTH

MJ
              Last edited by mauijim; 29 July 2012, 17:01.
              Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post

Can I ask whether I actually need my Windows Updates because I have the same problems as Always with everything *going funny* after it does them

And do I need Windows Firewall & Windows Defender switch on if I've got AVG protecting me - so many updates going on?

I'm on a lappy with Windows Vista Ultimate which I inherited from my daughter so goodness knows what settings are on there but she's downloaded Apple Mac (and Safari) which keeps wanting to update too but I say No No No whenever it asks me

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                  Can I ask whether I actually need my Windows Updates because I have the same problems as Always with everything *going funny* after it does them

And do I need Windows Firewall & Windows Defender switch on if I've got AVG protecting me - so many updates going on?

I'm on a lappy with Windows Vista Ultimate which I inherited from my daughter so goodness knows what settings are on there but she's downloaded Apple Mac (and Safari) which keeps wanting to update too but I say No No No whenever it asks me
                  It's a good idea to allow security updates on Windows as people are always probing the OS. Microsoft are not the best at ensuring their software is secure when it's released hence the patches. I suggest setting the update to "Check for updates but let me decide what to install" and then be selective.

MJ
                  Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mauijim View Post
                    It's a good idea to allow security updates on Windows as people are always probing the OS. Microsoft are not the best at ensuring their software is secure when it's released hence the patches. I suggest setting the update to "Check for updates but let me decide what to install" and then be selective.

MJ
                    Yeah especially if you have a cracked copy
                    I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Comment

The only trouble with that is I would have no idea what I want to install Are there some obvious updates to accept or avoid

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                        The only trouble with that is I would have no idea what I want to install Are there some obvious updates to accept or avoid
                        You should get optional and important updates so just choose the important ones. The drivers will appear in optional so unless you're having issues there is no need to update them.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
                          Yeah especially if you have a cracked copy
                          Lot's of systems I have been asked to fix over the years have a "cracked" copy. These days it's so easy to get a copy then can perform as a genuine copy and allow all the updates.

I can always tell when a client has a cracked copy as they get a bit and try to apologise in advance

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                            I switched off automatic updates with XP because often it just wouldn't start after an update and I ended up with around 7 partitions over 2 HDs from having to re-install Windoze (and all the apps, plugins, extensions, etc. I use!)

Vista was a bit better, I only had to reinstall once in 4 years. I still went for the option to let me choose what updates to install or not to install. My Vista disk is a OEM version so not cracked and it's been on my old PC since 2008, only recently (I mean less than 2 months ago) it's started asking me to activate it!
                            IIRC with vista an activation crack was to disable the needed activation files for a period of 3 years.

This was because everyone techy-wise hated vista due to its instability. It was like running windows ME all over again.

Comment

Here's my decision: I'm going to switch off all Windows automatic updates for a month and see what happens

I just can't take those heart-stopping moments anymore when it won't restart and I get a black screen with white gobbledygook

Comment

Trouble with that PlanB is when you turn it back on it will install all the accumulated updates at once, which is even more likely to cause problems!
                                More importantly, the updates are necessary to keep your pc safe from trending threats.
                                I think windows does an automatic system backup before more significant updates, but if you want to play safe you can set your update preferences to download and inform you they are ready, without installing them.
                                Once it does that, go to system restore and set up a new restore point before installing the updates.
                                That way you can roll back if they cause problems, and then refuse those particular updates when they download again.

Comment

Working...
                                X