GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script PC probs..Knoppix Time...cheapest Windows 7?? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC probs..Knoppix Time...cheapest Windows 7??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PC probs..Knoppix Time...cheapest Windows 7??

Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
    I have around 250GB to back up.

Presently it's both on PC and external drive, with crucial stuff of around 5GB on a big USB drive. The external drive is around 4 years old so I'm getting twitchy...

Mind you there are a lot of duplicates in nested folders so I'm also researching a good free dupe finder.

I've really got into something sorting this damn pc out.....I feel as if I've washed a mark off the wall and ended up having to decorate the whole house..
    This is an excellent FREE duplicate file finder.

Auslogics Duplicate File Finder
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

Oh some advise, dont ever use CCCleaner, unless you know what you are doing.

It can and does, delete registry entries that need to be there, and will cause your windows to not function correctly.

Dont ask me why it deletes entries it feels are redundant which aint, but it does.

Ive often wondered if its a ploy to then have to buy any other software they own, to repair registry entries lol

Bit like fake virus checkers which give false positives then make you install their software to remove a virus it placed in the first place!
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Shep, have you finally diagnosed what caused your problem? Was it a wobbly cable or a diseased external harddrive which passed the infection to your new Windows 7

I use AVG anti virus because it's free and we use it at work with no complaints so far

Comment

It was a dodgy SATA cable PB, from the motherboard to the hard drive.

The virus attack was a result of me pulling some (unbeknownst to me) infected files over from my external drive.
          It did cloud the issue somewhat!

All cleaned up now though, thank goodness!

Shep x

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
            Oh some advise, dont ever use CCCleaner, unless you know what you are doing.

It can and does, delete registry entries that need to be there, and will cause your windows to not function correctly.

Dont ask me why it deletes entries it feels are redundant which aint, but it does.

Ive often wondered if its a ploy to then have to buy any other software they own, to repair registry entries lol

Bit like fake virus checkers which give false positives then make you install their software to remove a virus it placed in the first place!
            CCCleaner is a great piece of software, install the FREE version and untick all the boxes to add Yahoo toolbar and all the other crap then run the program with default settings, do not run the registry cleaner because there is no need, a registry cleaner can do more harm than good, I use CCC everyday but I also use some of the advanced tools that I would recommend only if you are competent enough to know what you are doing. If you do decide to run the registry cleaner then it will ask you if you want to back up the registry first - always do this!! You can revert to the backed up version at any time from inside CCCleaner.

Another piece of great free software I use is Malwarebytes, download the free version only and if you have suspected malware it will find it and quarantine it.

The other one I recommend is also from Piriform (CCCleaner) and called Defraggler, a hundred times better and faster than other defrag programs, especially windows own

With all of these programs you never get pestered to upgrade to the paid version.

Apologies for posting under this thread it is just a reply to SXGuy, mods please move it if need be

Comment

I must agree with Vossy especially after a clean install of windows or an uninstallation of a program.

that defraggler and Speccy from piriform is also useful.
              I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
                I must agree with Vossy especially after a clean install of windows or an uninstallation of a program.

that defraggler and Speccy from piriform is also useful.
                Yeah when even pro shops use it you know you are on to a winner

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
                  The other one I recommend is also from Piriform (CCCleaner) and called Defraggler, a hundred times better and faster than other defrag programs, especially windows own
                  I use CCleaner regularly with no probs. I used to use defraggler until I found this one

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

which is also free but has a 'defrag and optimise' option which certainly helped this struggling XP notebook with a tiny HDD carry on working, for the time being anyway

MK
                  One day at a time, with £34K of UE debt

LloydsTSB - For the (UE) journey NatWest/RBS Mint - (Un)Helpful banking
                  Marbles - they lost 'em - and my CCA, what a shame

Comment

guys your all entitled to your opinion so no need to apologise its just my expierence, i guess i used it once, forgot to check all the settings and left my windows in a mess so never went back again to look at it.

But if you guys have never had issues thats good enough for me
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                    X