GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script PC probs..Knoppix Time...cheapest Windows 7?? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC probs..Knoppix Time...cheapest Windows 7??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PC probs..Knoppix Time...cheapest Windows 7??

Pompey remove image above.

Your name shows by email. I'm on phone do can't edit
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

LOL well spotted Niddy. I can't screenprint mine because it shows our facebook account with pics, but here's a generic screenshot of the top sites page:

Safari 4 Beta for Windows Screenshots - Safari 4 Beta Web Browser - About Web Browsers - Top Sites

They all knock the socks of IE8 for addons, security & speed, from my tests before I chose Safari.

Comment

You'll find all our sites are geared toward firefox, opera, safari & chrome so they'll work fine (much better than before on ie) now you're using a decent browser.

Load them all as each does different things. As a designer (you), firefox has sylish and debug console whereas chrome has inspect element.

I use Firefox as main browser with chrome running when I'm coding as the inspect element is awesome for in-browser edits. That's why when I update the forums in live mode it usually goes straight through cos I'm using inspect element editing the feel within seconds of adding the update.

Just my opinion but I do have all browsers cos each displays different too. One of your sites is built to ie but crashes in Firefox - remember I told you? However ours will work in ie but things may be centred or have bigger gaps and missing bits as ie doesn't accommodate css3 which all our sites run on.

Check AAD in Firefox and see crisp straight corners. Now open in ie and you'll see they're rounded corners - that's an ie fix to stop it crashing/overlapping. In safari it'll also be rounded as that's similar to ie but it does accept shadow/size divs etc unlike ie which ignores such commands without a relevant fix. Our CSS has 5 ie fixes to make font styles etc work. Thus I say it's shyte and time consuming.
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

when you have installed updates for windows etc, create a backup disk, save you doing it all over again.

Its likely when chkdisk ran, it allocated sectors in a default order to repair, but that will obviously crash your windows install, because all the files are all over the place.

Was a common error with Vista, due to a corrupt update file, but is not an issue under Windows 7.

Best advise, upgrade to Win 7 asap, havent had 1 issue yet.

Its true that sites render different in different browsers, one common problem is IE will revert bad CCS styling to default, so it appears correct, firefox etc doesnt, so appears badly formated.

Common issue is using negitive margins and paddings, in firefox for example, if you use layered divs, and negitive values, it adds them together, which creates massive spacing that you didnt want!

All browsers should render sites correctly proving you tweak the CCS abit, some use different formating, others using the same but render it differently. can be a mission in itself lol
          Last edited by SXGuy; 13 May 2012, 12:34.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I agree.

Why can't we have one simplified CSS structure that works cross-browser?

It's not that hard, I mean the new css3 <article> class works in all browsers but ie - why? It's stoopid cos then you need to add a <container> div to keep it in check. It's wasted code and wasted resource loading of page content IMO.

Comment

I agree, it should be standard across all browsers, its ment to be, but they all like their little quirks, and hope that because of it, their browser becomes the main one, and hope everyone else follows suit.

Personally, code should be 1 standard, that all browsers have to comply to.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

It gets worse!!!

After spending all week setting up my wonderful windows 7, transferring my zillions of emails & folder system to windows live mail etc etc, yesterday Avast did an update and started going ballistic about loads of html files in my website folders, quarantining them as trojan infected.
                Thought at first it was a false positive but when I reinstated and checked, there was a load of nasty SVChost code injected at the foot of each page.

These had come from my external drive so I scanned that and it found loads more, although only in certain folders. Deleted those. Checked source on online versions - fine.

Did a full scan and it found more bugs brought from my external drive.
                Avast told me to restart and do a boot scan which I did....

This morning...blinking cursor on black screen at startup.
                Went into BIOS...drive not detected
                Booted from Win 7 disk...drive/op system not detected

Now this is exactly what happened on the OTHER (XP) drive after doing a disk scan, so there seems to be a common factor here..ie intense activity at boot level on either drive is buggering something up.
                So now I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue with mobo or RAM???
                Any ideas anyone before I get the hammer out?

(I'm currently back on the old drive with reinstalled XP. I've uninstalled AVAST before it get chance to update, just in case it's a dodgy version. Now installed MS Security Essentials.)
                Last edited by Undercover Elsa; 20 May 2012, 07:30.

Comment

That's quite possible FP
                  The odd thing is though that it's spread throughout a particular folder on my external drive, which has many subfolders containing different website files, unconnected and which have never been on the same server. Spread seems to be limited to this 1 top level folder called Exdrive which was stuff saved from a previous pc.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    Eleven if one includes using the computer as a door stop.

Comment

That day is fast approaching....

Comment

Shep,

Did you backup all your wanted files to an external hard-drive and format before install?

Comment

Yep all backed up PF

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
                            It gets worse!!!

Did a full scan and it found more bugs brought from my external drive.
                            Avast told me to restart and do a boot scan which I did....

This morning...blinking cursor on black screen at startup.
                            Went into BIOS...drive not detected
                            Booted from Win 7 disk...drive/op system not detected

Now this is exactly what happened on the OTHER (XP) drive after doing a disk scan, so there seems to be a common factor here..ie intense activity at boot level on either drive is buggering something up.
                            So now I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue with mobo or RAM???
                            Any ideas anyone before I get the hammer out?

(I'm currently back on the old drive with reinstalled XP. I've uninstalled AVAST before it get chance to update, just in case it's a dodgy version. Now installed MS Security Essentials.)
                            Unsurprisingly you may not consider Plan B as the obvious choice to help with this IT problem

But I appealed to our member MauiJim for help when having similar issues with my Windows vista, and he suggested that there was a definite connection between a disk scan and the blackouts. It happenend every time Windows Updates did their own thing - so I disabled that function and it never happenend again

I'll PM him to read this thread

Comment

Shepherdess

Can I just ask a few questions about the problem before I offer any advice.

1. Are you sure the code to which you refer is SVCHOST.EXE based? This file is critical to windows no matter which version you are using. Perhaps you meant SCVHOST.EXE? Notice the reversal of V and C (mainly for other readers here) I am not being a smart arse I am just asking you to confirm in case it really is a typo or just false positives.
                              2. When you upgraded to Win7 did you "upgrade" or did you format and install a totally fresh version and did you install on the old HDD that previously ran Win XP
                              3. How many Hard drives are on your PC?
                              4. What is your BIOS type - AMI Phoenix etc. This should show at boot or if you get a bank screen then perhaps hit DEL F2 or F11 (this varies but screen should show "For setup..F2 etc")

XP is still a very stable and worthy OS, it may not be as flashy as Win 7 but it is still right up there. I have many clients who use XP and a lot of the big companies still use it.

Never run CHKDSK or SCANDISK they are the work of the Devil Windows will often insist on running this but try and resist it. This causes more data errors and disk failures than I've had hot meals.

If you let me know this information I can try to help.

MJ
                              Last edited by mauijim; 20 May 2012, 12:38.
                              Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

Hi Mauijim,
                                Thanks for looking in
                                You're right, it was SCVhost exe, the virus not the legit process. It named it on the affected web page code, followed by a huge string of code.

I did a custom full install and I formatted the drive first...I have 2 drives, the Win7 one and the XP one which I'm on now. I just switch by changing over the SATA cable...so they can't "see" each other.

I've been into the BIOS to reconfig boot priority settings..it's not seeing the drive at all, just the CDROM (even when the SATA cable's plugged in )

It's an ASUS mobo, AMD Phenom II X4 840 Processor, 3.21 GHz, 4GB RAM
                                Last edited by Undercover Elsa; 20 May 2012, 13:35.

Comment

Working...
                                X