GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script PC probs..Knoppix Time...cheapest Windows 7?? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC probs..Knoppix Time...cheapest Windows 7??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PC probs..Knoppix Time...cheapest Windows 7??

Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
    Hi Mauijim,
    Thanks for looking in
    You're right, it was SCVhost exe, the virus not the legit process. It named it on the affected web page code, followed by a huge string of code.

I did a custom full install and I formatted the drive first...I have 2 drives, the Win7 one and the XP one which I'm on now. I just switch by changing over the SATA cable...so they can't "see" each other.

I've been into the BIOS to reconfig boot priority settings..it's not seeing the drive at all, just the CDROM (even when the SATA cable's plugged in )

It's an ASUS mobo, AMD Phenom II X4 840 Processor, 3.21 GHz, 4GB RAM
    Well my initial thought was HDD failure. It could be the drive was on its last legs and the problems you described earlier are indicative of that issue. Obviously without being sat in front of your PC I cannot be 100% certain.

I cannot see it being a MOBO issue i.e. Dodgy SATA port as you are swapping the SATA cable manually and it works for XP.

How old is the potentially faulty HDD and what make/model is it?

MJ

PS I am going out for a visit to the local recycling centre now...oh joy...so may not be around for a couple of hours.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

That's the odd thing Mauijim..the one that's failed now is pretty new. I installed the original version of Win 7 on it a year ago, then disconnected it to save as backup and it's not been in use till last week. It's a Seagate Barracuda.
      The XP drive I'm on now is a Hitachi and did the same thing last week, but seems OK for now since I formatted & reinstalled XP...this one is about 3 years old and was moved from my old machine after a major mobo failure.

Talk about The Butterfly effect....All this started because of bloody Google constantly putting up a security error on IE 8...so I installed Safari and probably coincidentally that was when the probs started.

Comment

Have fun at the tip MJ...might see you there..I'll be the one hurling a PC tower into the skip...

Comment

ok its not an HDD failure.

This wouldnt cause avast to detect a virus. Your extenal HDD seems to be infected, which is transfering the infection to your windows system everytime its connected.

No point in reinstalling windows everytime this happens, virus' can lay dormant inside the boot sector, or similar places, which means even a quick format of a HDD will not remove a virus.

The virus you likely have sounds like its one in which it copies itself over and hides as system files. therefore when any prog like avast cleans your infection, windows wont start properly anymore.

My advice to you, would be this.

Load windows using a windows boot cd, hopefully you have one? if not, try pressing F8 when your pc boots up and select safe mode with networking, if that doesnt work, let me know and ill try to point you in the direction of where to obtain a boot cd for your windows version.

Once you are in your windows desktop, download and install ComboFix

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

This will take around 10 to 30 minutes depending on the level of infection.

This personally, is the best windows repair tool ive ever used, ive used others after getting rid of very nasty infections and nothing has ever fixed a system wide virus corruption better than ComboFix.

instructions on how to use are here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/comb...o-use-combofix

Save the log text it generates after and post here if you wish, it will give a good indication of what you were infected with.

Once this has ran, do a full virus scan of your external HDD, its vital you clear any virus before you restart your pc.

Once thats done, take your boot cd out and restart your pc.

Fingers crossed, you will have a working operating system again.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thankyou all but....( ) I think I've fixed it!

Just turned the house upside down for the box of bits I cannibalised from my previous PC..

Changed the SATA cable and used a different output on the motherboard....tada!!!!

That explains why it did it with the other drive too.. !! Intermittant so must be a dodgy connection...

I'm on Win7 now...

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
              ok its not an HDD failure.
              How can you say that with 100% certainty? I was assuming that Shepherdess had scanned her external HDD with Avast?

The symptoms she described indicated an intermittent data issue, HDD failure, SATA port issue etc.

I'll step aside on this one

MJ

EDIT: I just saw Shepherdess posted an update so thankfully my other post wasn't necessary - my pop-up killer killed the text when I tried to add a URL link!!
              Last edited by mauijim; 20 May 2012, 15:29.
              Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

good result in the end shep..pleased its all ok now

Comment

Thanks everyone..it's great to have all this support!!

PS..I did scan everything with Avast-both drive and external drive, plus bootscan...pretty sure it's got the lot but I'll do Malwarebytes as well just in case. Might even reinstall / rescan ex drive / move scanned stuff to cloud storage and format external drive too.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
                    Thanks everyone..it's great to have all this support!!

PS..I did scan everything with Avast-both drive and external drive, plus bootscan...pretty sure it's got the lot but I'll do Malwarebytes as well just in case. Might even reinstall / rescan ex drive / move scanned stuff to cloud storage and format external drive too.
                    It depends on which variant of the SCVhost.exe virus you were infected with but.....this is an old virus and one of the ways they used to reinfect a system was to place folders on external media but use the autoplay feature to spread the infection. If you check the folders on external media they use .exe extension which is not a normal folder. As soon as you access the media is runs using Autoplay and the damn thing appears again.

For anyone thinking of a suitable anti-virus package there are two that I would personally recommend. ESET NOD32 or Smart Security. This is my personal favourite, it is lightweight in terms of system resource usage but it sits quietly in the background and does what it is supposed to do. Smart Security will also detect dodgy websites and terminate the website connection to prevent infection. It is also proactive in detection and will use advanced heuristic to detect potential viruses and PUPs (Potentially unwanted programs). AFAIK they have yet to miss an "in the wild" virus. Support is also excellent

Webroot SecureAnywhere is also excellent. They offer a lightweight scan engine that updates quickly and will detect all malware, spyware and viruses. I have used this on my machines but I have a multi 5 year licence with ESET and therefore chose to stay with that.

Either of these will give you real peace of mind when you're online and let's face it, most of us on here are online quite a lot!

Just a personal view from someone who worked in this sphere.

MJ

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mauijim View Post
                      How can you say that with 100% certainty? I was assuming that Shepherdess had scanned her external HDD with Avast?

The symptoms she described indicated an intermittent data issue, HDD failure, SATA port issue etc.
                      Only because the other symptons that were described lead me to believe it was a system virus, not a hardware issue, but it dont matter, all is fixed now.
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                        I also use NOD32, have used it most of the time since 2001 although I used Kasperski for a while just because Barclays was offering it for free. I started using NOD32 when one of the big ones let through a couple of nasties that nearly killed my system. I think I was using another AV when I got the SCVHOST infection. Personally I would recommend NOD32, I've never used Smart Security.
                        I have used Vipre for about three years without problems and I do visit some terrible, nasty and horrible sites , I really must stop myself sometime
                        Webroot would be my next favourite but I am paid up with Vipre for another 18 months, both are very light on system resources.
                        Last edited by vossy; 20 May 2012, 20:19.

Comment

I think we all seem to agree the bloat ware from McAfee Norton etc is pain in the **** and products like Vipre, Nod32, Webroot are the way to go. I guess it's down to personal experience when all is said and done.

FlowerPower, Smart Security is the next step up from ESET's AV package, it has a firewall and a few other extras.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mauijim View Post
                            I think we all seem to agree the bloat ware from McAfee Norton etc is pain in the **** and products like Vipre, Nod32, Webroot are the way to go. I guess it's down to personal experience when all is said and done.

FlowerPower, Smart Security is the next step up from ESET's AV package, it has a firewall and a few other extras.
                            I have always treated Norton as a virus anyway, on many occasions I have removed Norton from someones system that was virtually unusable only for that system to become good again, it burrows into everything and hides away just like a virus.

McAfee I found was always too heavy and now if anyone want's a pretty safe free one I install Microsoft Security Essentials with the warning that if you go where no sensible person would then you will pay the price! For normal use I have found it quite light and although not as good as paid for software it does the job adequately.

Comment

MSE works well with Win 7 as it was made with win 7 in mind, I have been using MSE ever since I went over to Win 7 from Vista and never had any issues.

Comment

must just be me then....I used MSE for a little while and it missed the odd bit of stuff..one VERY nasty infection a few months ago didnt see any of it

used webroot now for a few months & very very happy with it

Comment

Working...
                                X