GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Temperamental puppy - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperamental puppy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Temperamental puppy

Puppy now appears to be under control.....until he hits the teens

But I think he may have puppy mange! Any suggestions for safe, healthy treatments (it's on his head) or shall I just wait until his immune system kicks in?
    thanks
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

What are the symptoms CYM? Have you checked his ears for gooey brown discharge.....mites. Sometimes they can het a skin reaction to that...

Comment

It's a scabby area on his head between his ears. He has always had itches but no sign of anything. Ears etc are all clear.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Oh dear, he's back in the dog house! Every time OH tries kicking him out and occasionally when he passes him he tries to grab him. I think he may be a mummies boy, as he does everything I ask without any complaint!

Comment

Well after 7 months of relative harmony, we are back to stage 1.

Puppy is now a year old teenager and is becoming nasty if he doesn't like what is happening. He had a tick and when we tried removing it he was savage and we couldn't go near him. He even tried biting our 70 kg 2 year old beast out of bloodymindedness! He has been sunbathing on the hammock with me this afternoon and has bee out for a lovely walk in te mountains. OH stared getting their meal while I removed his harness. Half wat through this he decided he didn't want it ad turned on me, no blood just a bruise.

has anyone got any suggestions, or he will have to go!

Comment

If it was me, I'd get a bottle with pebbles or stones in it to act as a shaker or something that would cause a loud noise, muzzle him then put is food down as normal then practice taking his food away. Now, every time he even growls or makes the slightest sign of aggression shake the bottle or make a loud noise that startles him, this will cause him to associate the growl and aggression as a bad thing.
              It sounds like he's just trying to dominate, quite common but he won't truly be happy until he knows where he fits in your family pack.
              Another thing I'd suggest is when you go out and return never make a fuss of him straight away unless he's in a calm submissive state the last thing you want is a dominative over excited dog.
              Persevere :-)

Comment

Thank you. The problem is his unpredictability; I can take meals off him, it is so etching that I have done with all my dogs. Usually when he goes for me he rolls straight on his back and submits to me. Just occasionally he really goes.

i think it is an adolescent fighting for his position as supreme leader with hormones thrown in!

Comment

Oh dear, the dreaded teenage stage. Has he been castrated Cym?

Comment

No. None of my boys have been and I believe it's all or nothing with them.

problem with this one is the naked aggression which I have never had to deal with before. Although he has 'bitten' dm a few times, he has never broken skin and knows he is in the wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X