GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Temperamental puppy - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperamental puppy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Temperamental puppy

My daughter just sent me this, it's brilliant
    The dark one looks like my pup's mother.

Comment

She searches the air for it and I almost wet myself! Then, it actually bounces off her nose! Too funny!
      If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post

Whilst on the subject of my doggles, he has taken to jumping up at people. Something which I detest. I did get him out of it as a pup by having him nudge my hand for treats. When he nudged he got lots of praise and the treat, and it seemed to stop the jumping up behaviour, instead, he nudged your hand

However, hubby likes to playfight with him and it seems to have brought back the "jumping up" behaviour again. Any tips for how to get rid of this behaviour?

PS. What a beautiful puppy, Elsa
        Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
        Thanks Diddly

We've had that problem with him too, still does it to other people sometimes, but it's getting better.
        I got him out of it by just stepping back, saying NO! really forcefully, with the palm of my hand towards him and then turning my back on him and ignoring him until he calmed down.
        Once he learned to "wait" I now say NO! - SIT -WAIT then when he does that I get down to his level and fuss him. Sometimes just the palm of my hand works if he's not too giddy. I'm very into hand signals LOL. Can't do with shouting at dogs. It's the tone and authority that matter. Plus lots of praise when they get it right of course.
        I've read that you step TOWARDS a dog when they jump up, not the natural inclination to step back...it unbalances them. Hold your hand up, palm facing towards him, as you step forward and say "No" calmly as Elsa says.
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks guys, all tips will be tried! It's when he gets excited near smiley old ladies with walking sticks that I almost shit myself

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like he is trying to establish himself in the 'pack' and sees himself as one removed from you with the rest of the family beneath him.

You do need to deal with it as you're right, he could become a liability - however you a long way off considering a one way trip to the vets as there is lots you can do training wise.

First things first - you need to let him know that growling, snapping etc when someone else in the family tries to move him is not good behavior. When is this happening? Is he sitting on the couch next to you for example? If so then the second he does this you need to throw him on the floor so that he knows that other members of the pack take priority over him.

As far as the food thing goes this is an acclimatization thing where you have to get the puppy used to having their food bowl removed from them.

You're right about the fear aspect - dogs DO detect this, and any nervousness from your family, so they need to develop more confidence handling him. However this cannot be forced, so small steps as you've suggested are good.
            I'd also suggest the 'snip' as soon as you're able

Its always a good thing to get on a dog behavior course too and also take the kids along to the training classes so the dog becomes accustomed to working with them and also then will learn they are above him in the pack in the process.

SnV
            "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
              However, hubby likes to playfight with him and it seems to have brought back the "jumping up" behaviour again. Any tips for how to get rid of this behaviour?
              Every time that hubby does this tap him on the nose with a firm 'NO'. Then remove him to the porch/landing/spare room away from the rest of the pack and remove his footie/sky/beer privileges.

That should stop it.
              "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
                Every time that hubby does this tap him on the nose with a firm 'NO'. Then remove him to the porch/landing/spare room away from the rest of the pack and remove his footie/sky/beer privileges.

That should stop it.
                you are talking of hubby here ! yes?

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
                  you are talking of hubby here ! yes?
                  Unless the dog has beer privileges............

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post

That should stop it.
                    I like this very much. I'll try that too!

sigpic

Comment

Hi SnV

the trouble is none of this happens when I am around! It is when they want him to go out from his bed or even go down from comfortable arms! The kids are actually young adults (numerically if not behaviour wise) and being male they do know everything........

so now that I am on alert nothing untoward is happening! Updates will follow.

Comment

Well he's still here! Tried a little grr when I took him out for his last wee of the day. My grr was much louder

no one else has had any problems.

Comment

How's it all going, Cym? Is he slowly starting to realise that he is the family pet and not the family master?

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for asking and yes he is beginning to know his place with a few hiccups!

he has also discovered how to get through our neigbours fence

today is the day of the lead, should be interesting!

Comment

och our doggle rolled along on mostly his back first day on the lead, it was like having a small dustdevil on a lead, got the hang quick enough

Comment

Originally posted by MrsD View Post
                                och our doggle rolled along on mostly his back first day on the lead, it was like having a small dustdevil on a lead, got the hang quick enough
                                "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X